Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Colorful paper money- wow

Today at the ANA show my 7 year old son picked these up today for a couple of bucks each. Impressive notes. Any good place to find notes like these on the internet so I can get him some more?

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, they sure are colorful, I like it, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2019 11:46AM

@TheRaven

Like that currency. First time seeing an Antarctic exchange dollar.

• Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

The note from South Africa is the only note you have pictured that is actual money. The others are all fantasy notes. They are attractive and there are collectors of these notes but they are made to sell to collectors and not for commerce.

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

My 7 year old son just thinks they are cool and he wanted them. At a couple of dollars each he was more then happy with his purchase.

Not surprising they would not be for commerce.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool i like

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

You can find these on eBay. I agree that the fantasy ones are nice looking, but as lettow notes they are not actual money but only art. I do have a few where I liked the design. Collect what you like!

• Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

My favorite fantasy note.

• Options

Sharp, I like the train on the back.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are lots of great looking notes out there for not too much money. Your son should have a lot if fun searching for things of interest.

• Options

He likes lots of color, especially if blue.

It is perfect because like you said they can be cheap.

• Options

These three(3) are all polymer notes; also very colorful ...

• Options

(2)

• Options

(3)

• Options

I would say that these next three(3) go along with the first notes posted; also very colorful ...

• Options

(2)

• Options

(3)

• Options

Hey,
    Those notes are actually very beautiful. I do collect some foreign currency and and someone had sent me these as a gift actually!
    Hope you like them :wink:

• Options
    axelrichaxelrich Posts: 43 ✭✭

Colorful, I like them....

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2021 9:43AM

Here's are a few. Nowhere near as colorful as yours though! The artwork is pronominal on these things!!
    Thanks for posting!

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 422 ✭✭✭

Not a big fan of the fantasy genre though I have heard that the Disney Dollars seem to attract quite a crowd. Also there seems to be no end to the Zero Euros so I'm sure they must have a strong following:
    Really like the Solomon Islands, especially the older series which have the larger formats for the larger denominations, such as this P-17 50 Dollars:

The Madagascar, English, Slovakia & Russian notes are pretty colourful. I have a soft spot for Italy & would love to pick up some more besides this first prefix P-103a 2000 Lira:

Finally, when I think of colourful currency, I think Trinidad's recent $50. Here's their commemorative P-54 2014 version:

• Options

Some phenomenal artwork there Serial_no_8!

• Options
    cashhoundcashhound Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2021 2:37PM

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice colors!

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    Some phenomenal artwork there Serial_no_8!

-Thanks, yes love the art work, especially on those 3 countries!

Love the Brazilian & Jamaican adds "Cashound" & was thinking about picking one of those up but got this P-167a 10 Cruzeiros instead:

I worked & lived in Jamaica between 1995 & 96 but the only Ones & Two Dollar notes I saw were filthy rags (they'd been retired for coins a decade ago but a few would show up up from time to time). So I really wanted a One Dollar banknote (but have yet to find a $2 I'm happy with. So here's P-59b from 1976, before they dated them):

I actually had no idea the backs were so bright green b/c the only ones I saw were such soiled rags when I lived there.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colour on banknotes is nothing new, but back in the day it tended to be a realm of the high value notes like this one from Scotland:

A Waterlow and Sons printing from 1944. At that time this note was the equivalent of approximately $96.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Very nice banknotes gents!

• Options

"_A Waterlow and Sons printing from 1944. _"
    -what a beauty "SaorAlba." All the large formatted examples you've posted thus far -gorgeous eye candy here.

I also like the colonial African & French banknotes. France always had a tradition of artistic banknotes:

• Options

P-37a "Commonwealth of Australia" $1

• Options

Love the notes

• Options

A bit worn (more circulated) than I'm used to, but these are fairly tough (quite pricey) in the upper grades:

• Options

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2021 6:04AM

Nice 10,000 Pesos from Columbia "SaorAlba" (Very colourful- especially the reverse with the macaws, toucans, flamingos & other brilliantly coloured birds).

A 5 Rupees from Mauritius P-30b
    Not UNC but I'm trying to get some of the tougher ones & this 2nd signature combo is the toughest. BTW: speaking of exotic birds, the note's watermark is of the extinct "Do-do" bird.

• Options

• Options

I like all colors

• Options

Nice 1949 20 Korun (P-70) "SaorAlIba"
    The close up of the peasant woman's head & flowers in her hair is very dramatic.

@emily569 said:
    I like all colors

• I agree "emily569." What nations do you collect?
    • Here's a recent pick up from El Salvador:
      It's P-83 (1947) One Colon featuring Christopher Columbus on the reverse:

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW :* Some of these look like movie posters. Enjoyed the colorful trip.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP said:
    WOW :* Some of these look like movie posters. Enjoyed the colorful trip.

I agree. And once one gets going its really hard to stop. Here's an early acquisition as I lived in St. Lucia for a while & never put aside one EC banknote for myself:

I won the above 2000 $10 (from Montserrat) unexpectedly with a lowball bid & that's all it took to get hooked. Then I thought I should try to get an example from St. Lucia that's a bit tougher (1985-1993):

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are really nice. Love the bright colors. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Nice. I like the reverse of the Montserrat note with the map of the islands and sail boat.

• Options

Later Kenyan notes are very colorful. This is a ZZ prefix star note.

• Options

Later Kenyan notes are very colorful. This is a ZZ prefix star note.

I really like notes from Kenya (& other African nations). Very nice add & welcome to CU @Seldon

I have the 1978 P-14 5 Shilling:

& P-16 10 shilling (from the same year):

• Options

A lovely De La Rue printing, the design dates from 1937. These notes were issued in small numbers as National Bank only issued in N. Ireland and served a specific community in the North. Most notes available today were defaced by marking out the watermark of Daniel O'Connell, a 19th century Irish nationalist.

• Options

That’s a nice original National £10 you have there.

The amount of the National Bank’s note issues in Northern Ireland post-partition was related to the number of branches the bank had in Northern Ireland. After partition, most of the bank’s branches ended up in the Irish Free State where the commercial banks no longer had an independent note issue (Commercial banks participated in the Consolidted Bank Note Issue). Thus the National went from having one of the larger note issues in Ireland pre-partition to having the smallest note issue in Northern Ireland.

• Options

@Serial_no_8
    Nice notes there.
    Here is my Kenyatta 50s of 1971, original version.

This note was super rare, and unknown in decent grade until a hoard of them in sequence came to the market. We all got to upgrade to UNC, and the value dropped! I kept my original Fine grade example as well. this 50 is my favourite note of all Kenyan notes, though the Kenyatta 20s of this series are also high on my list of favourite notes.

I have it in mind to do a web site of Kenyan notes someday, with a picture of every date.

• Options

Thanks @Seldon

Here is my Kenyatta 50s of 1971, original version.

I know that the older ones get tough & expensive. Looking forward to seeing your examples.

• Options

Sorry, for some reason that pic of the 1971 50 shillings didn't go up.
    Here's Jomo now,

• Options

Very nice P-9b from Kenya @Seldon

I have no more from Kenya but have one VF but stained P-4 50 Rupees from the short-lived nation of Rawanda-Burundi: