Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Colorful paper money- wow

2»

Comments

• Options

Nice portrait of a lioness on that note.
    Are the notes of Rwanda-burundi scarce?

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@Seldon said:
    Nice portrait of a lioness on that note.
    Are the notes of Rwanda-burundi scarce?

• The 50 Rupees were issued twice a month apart. I was looking for a country that had a short run (1960, 61 & 62) & saw a few on HA a couple years ago so when I saw this up for auction, I figured I may as well bid on it. The only other ones I saw were P-2 10 Francs & P-3 20 Francs once before, so, yes, I think they're pretty tough to come by. Scarce in higher denominations & higher grades for sure.
  • Options

Here is my Biafra £1 note, which is definitely not rare!

• Options

Nice Biafra from 1969 @Seldon . While the 1969 seems pretty common, the P-2 first issue (1968) is a pretty tough one (I believe) as I've seen some spirited bidding for that one (& P-1 the 5 Bob) that was auctioned off last year. They're not that dear so probably a good buy considering that they're not seen in high grade very often.

Here's a pretty common 1967 One Pounder from Nigeria P-8:

The odd thing about this one is that it can be found easily in UNC (likely a hoard discovered & flooded the market) but the P-6 (5 Shilling), P-7 (10 Shillings) & P-9 (5 Pounds) all seem much harder to source. Similarly, I haven't seen as many P-10 (5 Shilling 2 signatures) , P-11, P-12 or P-13 (5 Pounds) from 1968 either.

• Options

I got a small group of Nigeria notes once, a few nice £1 notes in sequence, three £5 in sequence - all AU except that all three of the fivers had one side badly crumpled and stained. Hate to see an otherwise AU like that!
    There was also one well circulated 10 Shilling, which was the most attractive colour (purple, if I recall correctly). I ebayed a pair of the fives.
    Other than then, I have not seen any others except the £1 from time to time.

• Options

@Seldon said:
    I got a small group of Nigeria notes once, a few nice £1 notes in sequence, three £5 in sequence - all AU except that all three of the fivers had one side badly crumpled and stained. Hate to see an otherwise AU like that!
    There was also one well circulated 10 Shilling, which was the most attractive colour (purple, if I recall correctly). I ebayed a pair of the fives.
    Other than then, I have not seen any others except the £1 from time to time.

I just replied to this & the reply was lost (which took some time to write). It's about the 10th time this has happened to me & I'm wondering what's wrong with this CU US & World Currency forum.

ANYHOW: I wrote something to the affect that Yes, @Seldon I hear your pain. I hate any note that should be an AU (or some other lofty grade) but has some issues like the ones you described. They sound like the tough group to acquire too!

Here's my sob story:

There is a very tiny spot of glue residue on the back left border of this (& too many other notes) which I bought as UNC (& didn't catch) but were flagged by the BCS certifier. So, yes, I share your pain when it comes to some issue which detracts from an otherwise tough note!

• Options

I sympathise with you on the 1937 $1 note. Seeing the flaw when you are buying the note is much less annoying that having a flaw pointed out to you sometime later on a note you thought was top notch.

Btw, whenever I type a long post I always copy it to the clipboard before hitting the post button, just in case it evaporates!

• Options

"Btw, whenever I type a long post I always copy it to the clipboard before hitting the post button, just in case it evaporates!"

Great tip & agree. Unfortunately, I inspected the notes at this senior's house where the lighting was poor. I kept asking her if she had better lighting and she would move me into a room with worse lighting (LOL).

Also, I just realized that my disappearing posts happens most often after I try to edit (so I recommend no editing!). ALSO forget the formatting options (italics and bolding) :(

Here's a couple recent purchases:
    Belize $2

Fiji $1:

Gibraltar 10 Pounds:

• Options

Yes, it can be fun trying to grade a note in the dark! We have all had to do it at some time.
    You try and catch that little bit of daylight seeping in through the curtains, to bounce it off the surface of the 1930s Pound note at an oblique angle, revealing creases that might be there; while you balance the cup of tea on one knee, and the chocolate muffin on the other!
    Happy days.

• Options

"You try and catch that little bit of daylight seeping in through the curtains, to bounce it off the surface of the 1930s Pound note at an oblique angle, revealing creases that might be there; while you balance the cup of tea on one knee, and the chocolate muffin on the other!"

• You were there! :p
      Well, they weren't ALL marred by glue:

I actually thought that just a few (of the run) had glue (extraneous paper was visible) but it was the tiny spots, with no paper, that threw me. I think I got about 6 good ones out of 20.

Anyway, how about some Solomon Islands:

(nice fishing scene)

& matching SN $5.00

(boats)

• Options

Time for a bump.

Here's a 100 Krooni note from Estonia a few years before they switched to the Euro:

• Options

How about some new notes first released last year? They are nominated for the IBNS Bank Note of the Year (BNOY).

• Options

Very nice additions @currencyden (cannot decide which one I like best!)