Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Easier to see die gouges with lower magnification?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just looking at a 21-D Morgan Dollar I have and it's really odd. I was looking through my 16X magnifier and was not seeing the die gouge (which is the main feature for the particular Vam). I know it's there, I have the pictures to prove it! :D. I switched to my long time trusted tri stand stamp folder which is only 5X and BOOM...clear as can be. Anyone else have this experience? Or can anyone explain why this might be the case? Or tell me I'm just a weirdo? ;)

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else have this experience? No

Can anyone explain why this might be the case? Fingerprints on your 16x loupe?

Tell me I'm just a weirdo? ;) Okay, you are just a weirdo. :D:D:D

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Magnified your way past the dimensions of the gouge.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone switched the little numbers on your loupes as part of an April Fools joke. :D

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO! A thousand times no. The ONLY way you could have missed it is if you looked in the wrong location (not a factor here) or more likely **you did not orient the coin it the correct position to the light by rotating it and tipping it while looking at the area of interest.

I laugh (to my self as I stand there impatiently) at professionals who stare at a coin without seeing something so easy for me to see and ID at 4X.

Now go back and look again. :)

• Options
    edited March 31, 2019 8:29AM

Ok. I will try again @Insider2. I thought I was looking with the same lighting, but that could be the issue. @ifthevamzarockin you are hilarious. :D

• Options

Ok...I can see it(at least today)with the 16X! One other possibility is my vision, not kidding. There are days I can see fine without my glasses and other days everything looks blurry. Thanks for the replies! :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am happy that your problem is resolved... but the issue of changing eyesight should probably be addressed with your opthamologist...could be an indication of a larger, developing issue. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said: "One other possibility is my vision, not kidding. There are days I can see fine without my glasses and other days everything looks blurry."

I have the same problem! Every Friday and Saturday night as I head home at 3 AM..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file