Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eye for Detail Test...You are the detective.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is something in this magnified image of a Territorial Gold Piece that you should train your eyes to catch.

PLEASE READ THIS NEXT PART CAREFULLY SO YOU DON'T RUIN THIS "EXERCISE" FOR OTHER MEMBERS:

Please post ONLY what you see that is DIFFERENT in the image below. Please DON'T POST the reason what you see is different.

Thanks. Let's have some fun! :)

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 9:49AM

I see an image but without knowing what it's supposed to be "different" from I am clueless.

• Options

@keets said:
    I see an image but without knowing what it's supposed to be "different" from I am clueless.

:( I know you can do much better than that! Let's see what others post.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

Some of those recessed areas are not like the others.

Great eye!!! What else?

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. The checkering does not look original. I have a "guess" on what happened but it would violate your rules. I am sure you will have this explained properly when I check back later.

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    Interesting. The checkering does not look original. I have a "guess" on what happened but it would violate your rules. I am sure you will have this explained properly when I check back later.

Please finish...what looks abnormal besides the recessed area?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what you are aiming at. The question could be a little clearer.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 10:03AM

I see a heart or ice cream cone instead of a diamond.

If that's not right I'm going with having found Waldo! ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

The area where the mesh pattern is squishy and not well defined the diamond centers all have lots of raised lines, one even looks like captains bars.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed the textured area is different I think I know what happened, just not why...

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 10:10AM

To me yes the recessed areas are a suspect but that rim also looks very round to me and I think I know why.
    Also porous .

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

The raised devices in a roughly circular area at the center of the photo are crude compared to the devices at the periphery of the photo. The fields behind the devices in this same area are similarly crude and uneven. I’ve got a strong suspicion about what was done but find it slightly unusual for this type of coin

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lattice work goes from delicate, consistent, and well defined.....to a mix of wide and narrow, and inconsistent. (In addition to the mess within the mesh).

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭

The raised areas are not of uniform thickness or evenness in the left central area.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options

@BryceM said: "The raised devices [scroll work] in a roughly circular area at the center of the photo are crude compared to the devices at the periphery of the photo. The fields behind the devices in this same area are similarly crude and uneven. I’ve got a strong suspicion about what was done but find it slightly unusual for this type of coin

You have summed it up. That is the other thing. Now what is crude about the raised design? Be specific, you are describing what you see to a blind person.

• Options

@MarkInDavis said:

The raised areas are not of uniform thickness or evenness in the left central area.

BINGO! Now you guys can post the reason the design is different.

• Options

@TommyType said:
    The lattice work goes from delicate, consistent, and well defined.....to a mix of wide and narrow, and inconsistent. (In addition to the mess within the mesh).

Oops, missed this. Good eyes everyone!

• Options

Repaired plug.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

What does the opposite side look like?

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a perfect repair but not real bad either.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:

Both sides are shown.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Filled and repaired hole, was my guess. Had to recreate the checkering. left some material up against the rim too.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang and I thought you were going to tell us it was waffles from breakfast this morning!

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@kbbpll said:

Both sides are shown.

Should have refreshed before posting I guess. My thought was repaired but the answer came too quick!

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

Yep............and one of the lattices is oval.

The Nun in grade school told all of us brats to "Dare to be different".

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was an excellent educational thread, thanks @Insider2!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guessed it right from my first look even though I didn't post.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was my conclusion. Pretty sneaky.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have photos of the whole coin?

• Options

Sorry, I don't.

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

A doctored hole in the coin.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for this great information @Insider2

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 I feel very ignorant asking this, but what type of coin is this?

Mark

• Options

1852 U.S.A.O $10

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a really good post, thanks for sharing. Too bad you don't have a shot of the whole coin would be curious to see that area from viewing distance.

• Options

@PhilLynott said:
    This is a really good post, thanks for sharing. Too bad you don't have a shot of the whole coin would be curious to see that area from viewing distance.

Unfortunately, many folks can miss things such as repairs UNLESS they are examining a coin slowly and closely. It even happens with coins in-hand! An excellent repaired chop get's missed much of the time at first and is then caught down the line. In fact, I showed one finalizer a repaired chop (excellent artistry) in the feathers of a Trade dollar and he refused to believe it.

IMO, if I posted the full $10 coin, most here would possibly not see anything special. It looks like a beat-up gold piece. When I started posting on another forum a few years ago, I was having folks pick the genuine coin (both were counterfeits but one was better made). I was trying to get them to look closely and see how good the fakes could get. Everyone got really mad. They accused me of being a show-off and worse! I'd >:) like to go back to trickery, but no way.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 Thanks.

Mark

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details - 94 Altered Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or is a "holed", "Plugged" or "Tooled" coin??? which would have priority on a Genuine holder ???

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another very informative post @Insider2, thank you for posting and keep them coming.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks @Insider2

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more reason why full coin images of both sides of the coin are important. The original picture was aligned as though the disturbance was at 9 o'clock on the reverse. With nothing other than that to go on, I had to assume the possibility that a pin had been soldered onto the coin at 9 o'clock with a corresponding clasp at 3 o'clock, with the solder later removed and the design "restored."

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@WaterSport said:
    Or is a "holed", "Plugged" or "Tooled" coin??? which would have priority on a Genuine holder ???

WS

Great Question! AFAIK, a customer can send in a coin such as this and ask for a genuine only slab. In that case the label would read: "GENUINE."

Anyone know what PCGS< NGC, or ANACS would do with a plugged coin. Do they put""GENUINE, Plugged" on the label?

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    One more reason why full coin images of both sides of the coin are important. The original picture was aligned as though the disturbance was at 9 o'clock on the reverse. With nothing other than that to go on, I had to assume the possibility that a pin had been soldered onto the coin at 9 o'clock with a corresponding clasp at 3 o'clock, with the solder later removed and the design "restored."

The fact that you noticed right away that the coin was "not right" is the important part.

When I teach authentication I tell the students the most important requirement of authentication is to know what the genuine specimen should look like. Then, when you see any coin, you may not know if it is genuine or authentic (that takes experience) but you will know one thing for sure: IT IS DIFFERENT from all those you have seen before! And that is half the battle and reason to check the piece further. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file