Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charlottesville VA Show and Dealers

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my Other Life I have been a classical singer for many years and am getting together with some of my old buddies from the Yale Russian Chorus and giving a concert or two in Charlottesville, Virginia, the weekend of April 13-14, as part of the Tom Tom Festival. It appears that I have Saturday afternoon free ... and there is apparently a little coin show at the Elks Lodge. Is the show worth attending? I am also staying over on Monday before coming back home Tuesday ... any coin dealers whose shops I should visit on Monday? Thanks ... I'm not really familiar with Charlottesville at all, even though it's only four hours from home.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't mind going to the festival and would also like to know about shows and dealers in the Charlottesville area. George - you might want to Contact - Shenendoah Valley Coin Club, Weyers Cave, Va. at
    http://www.shenandoahvalleycoinclub.org/
    They usually have a dealer attend their shows from Charlottesville, maybe they can help.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you have a great time Charlottesville. I was going to warn you about things getting out-of-hand if UVA wins a few more games in the NCAA tournament but it looks like you will be there after March Madness has ended. I haven't spent much time there since college and I wasn't collecting coins back then so I can't help on that front. Go Hoos!

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't lived there in several years, but I still visit at least a couple of times a year. I've never heard of it. Now you have me curious.

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m also unfamiliar with the coin scene but I do know a bit about the food scene if you’re looking for some restaurant recommendations...on the coin front, I’ve always wondered what kinds of coins would turn up via a metal detector search of the lawn. 200 years of continuous occupation. The students frequently lose their clothes to streak the lawn, so I’m sure they’ve lost some interesting pocket change in the process...also, to reiterate the above, GO HOOS!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do attend the coin show, give us a show report. Even small shows can be interesting. And certainly new material for you to see... Cheers, RickO

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:
    I’m also unfamiliar with the coin scene but I do know a bit about the food scene if you’re looking for some restaurant recommendations...on the coin front, I’ve always wondered what kinds of coins would turn up via a metal detector search of the lawn. 200 years of continuous occupation. The students frequently lose their clothes to streak the lawn, so I’m sure they’ve lost some interesting pocket change in the process...also, to reiterate the above, GO HOOS!

Sure @Wahoo554 I would appreciate some restaurant recommendations!

@cameonut2011 Here's info on the TomTomFest: https://tomtomfest.com/

If anyone cares, here is info on the Yale Russian Chorus Alumni yrcalums.org/ (that happens to be me just behind the conductor's head in the shot on the homepage).

Finally, for music lovers (if any are here), these are two YouTube clips of me conducting and singing first tenor with a small group of the Yale Russian Chorus Alumni in Italy a couple of years ago:
    Otche Nash, **a gorgeous arrangement of the Lord's Prayer by N. Kedrov:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=oCGByt6FwTI&t=9s
    **Legend of the 12 Brigands
    me singing the opening and closing solos in my true (high baritone) voice: https://youtube.com/watch?v=j9iCwwi6DI0

Founded in 1953 by Denis Mickiewicz (who is pictured on the homepage above), the Yale Russian Chorus has traveled the world for decades as cultural ambassadors, helping to bridge the differences among diverse peoples through music and dialogue, and exploring the rich musical traditions of Russia and Eastern Europe as well as via American traditional songs.

Kind regards,

George

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:

Legend of the 12 Brigands me singing the opening and closing solos in my true (high baritone) voice: https://youtube.com/watch?v=j9iCwwi6DI0

Kind regards,

George

Fixed the link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j9iCwwi6DI0

Thank you @Hemispherical !

Kind regards,

George

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Expect some extra traffic in C-ville this weekend! WOOT! UVA National Champions!!!

Yeah, gonna be Crazytown in Charlottesville this weekend! Hope everything goes smoothly.

Kind regards,

George

Well I am not going to write a show report, I went there briefly and managed to get ignored by every dealer in the room. It was late, they were tired, shooting the merde with their friends, and the whole thing had a pretty much flea market feel to it, I'm sorry to say. One dealer had a lot of Morgan dollars that looked nice, but he was busy with a customer.

Our concerts were really extraordinary, and visiting Monticello was extraordinary. Jefferson was so brilliant, and yet so conflicted ... they don't pull any punches about his owning slaves his entire life.

Kind regards,

George

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file