Home Precious Metals

Gentle intro into PMs?

Hi everybody,
I am in the first few weeks of starting a new job, and when my first payday comes this week, I have been thinking about rewarding myself with a small gold purchase to celebrate. I was just thinking of a 1/10 AGE, nothing fancy, probably a 2019 in honor of the job. As I remembered from years back when I was more active in numismatics, they do have quite a premium in that size. I was going to hang onto it a while, maybe add some other PMs from time to time with an idea towards stacking up a little bit of treasure, for fun as much as anything. But when I go to sell in the future, would I be better off with just raw BU coins, or is it worth tacking on another little bit for PCGS MS69 or MS70 coins?

In light of some (most) of you guys' stashes, I know it's a laughable question.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

69s can't hurt and they don't cost that much more.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go for the 69's... or even bullion....If you get it at the cheapest price, your eventual profit (based on the market), or loss will be greater or smaller.... so says conventional wisdom. Cheers, RickO

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pendragon1998 said:
    Hi everybody,
    I am in the first few weeks of starting a new job, and when my first payday comes this week, I have been thinking about rewarding myself with a small gold purchase to celebrate. I was just thinking of a 1/10 AGE, nothing fancy, probably a 2019 in honor of the job. As I remembered from years back when I was more active in numismatics, they do have quite a premium in that size. I was going to hang onto it a while, maybe add some other PMs from time to time with an idea towards stacking up a little bit of treasure, for fun as much as anything. But when I go to sell in the future, would I be better off with just raw BU coins, or is it worth tacking on another little bit for PCGS MS69 or MS70 coins?

IMO, this is not a “laughable” question but a good question that should be considered when purchasing PM coins for stacking or otherwise.

Please post a pic of the celebratory gold, because all gold IS awesome!

• dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

Whenever I buy fresh us age bullion I always spend a few $ on the plastic holders with the intercept shield-looking stuff and insert the coins there before I even leave the store.

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a laughable question at all. MS69 gold can be had close to raw copies at times. Always helps to have it graded for buyers peace of mind when it’s time to sell. Good luck and I hope it’s the start of a big stack of gold!

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I upgrade to 70s, I tend to crack out 69s for more compact storage unless I intend to sell them in the near future.

I still keep the label with the coin in a 2x2, and it's good to know that a professional (paid) opinion has been rendered, but the likelihood of an increase in value because of the 69 grade for most Modern gold or platinum is pretty remote.

Besides, if I like the coin well enough and think it could upgrade, I'll submit it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • blackhorse360blackhorse360 Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

@pendragon1998 said:
    Hi everybody,

I would go for the 69’s or even Raw coins in BU condition. Those plastic holders get bulky quick

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here. Why not get a MS69 that's priced the same as a raw piece? Now if you're buying many, many pieces then slab storage can become an issue but you are a long ways from filling several boxes of 20 MS69 $5 AGEs.

A few boxes of 1/10 ozers in PCGS MS69 sounds appealing.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Visualize what your group of 5 or 10 gold coins will be like, then buy a piece that fits in. A 2019 1/4 oz. In pcgs ms69 would celebrate your start date, look great with a 2018 quarter ounce in similar holder, then as you save up, you can eventually add 2017, 2020, and orher years.

I avoid the tenth ounces myself, too small for my aging eyes for one, kind of unimpressed to show non collectors for two, and alao high premiums.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the advice about PCGS 69s for stacking starting out. Lots of counterfeits out there, and they can be had for uncertified prices if you look. Why not get something that's been credibly authenticated? Safer all around.

I also agree: nothing "laughable" about your query. I wish I'd done more of that here starting out.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave the plastic behind. Find something that works for you and pay bullion prices. The closer you pay to the bullion value, the safer your investment is.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

edited March 25, 2019 9:31PM

@pendragon1998 said:
    Here it is, finally. Just a little 1/10 oz to celebrate my new job, but it makes me smile.

Congrats! Being it’s your first gold I think it’s good to be slabbed. At least you know the gold is authentic (unless it’s a fake slab).

As you gain confidence and knowledge and have reliable sources you could venture into the raw.

OT. Now you can start a registry... the first modern AGE was 1986.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're stacking, I'd go for raw, but in celebration of your new job, I'd pick up a BU or proof 70, or maybe one of each !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

On your next one wait for 8-10% eBay Bucks and you can get a PCGS MS70 for just a few bucks over spot after considering the rebate.

GrandAm :)
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great start pendragon!
    I hope this is the beginning of a huge stack of gold for you.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the job and the gold!

edited March 26, 2019 3:04PM

@pendragon1998

Mintages on the $5 AGE bullion. This may give you an idea of any numismatic premiums if you continue to buy slabbed; useful if you decide to collect (70’s) vs stacking (buy as close to spot or lower and stay away from low mintages they sometimes sell for a bit more $ even raw).

Data from the US Mint. Any errors are mine and let me know if there are any.

Enjoy stacking and/or collecting!

Gold is always good!

My 1% of a grains worth of gold opinion. :)

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pendragon1998 said:
    Here it is, finally. Just a little 1/10 oz to celebrate my new job, but it makes me smile.

Congrats and it's in a great display /show and tell case.
    Great memento!