Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hazy Slabs????

I had a slightly roughed up holder recently that I was tired of looking at so I decided to try plastic polish I bought online.Worked out great.I can see the coin again! Just wanted to share this.

Comments

• I did not take before photos unfortunately but I'm sure I'll acquire another rough one along the way and I will post pictures.I was considering reslabbing so I felt I had nothing to lose.The stuff I bought was a 3 part polish.Not sure if I can mention the name here??

• I can say it wasn't a pcgs slab.Im not trying to step on anyone's toes here. Just sharing the experience.

• I dont think I'd try it on a decent slab.Mine was more overall hazy on the front like someone used it as a coaster.😂 I had nothing to lose trying it.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer hazy IPAs.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Thanks for your post @jtlee321.I bought a 3part by NOVUS-3.Heavy scratch remover 2.fine scratch remover 1.Plastic clean and shine.Use 3 first(if needed) Then 2 then 1.Worked great for me.$10 on ebay

• 🍻 @Dave99B

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

This happens mostly with San Francisco Mint coins. It's caused by fog rolling up the bay.

:)

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

@historydigger said:
    I did not take before photos unfortunately but I'm sure I'll acquire another rough one along the way and I will post pictures.I was considering reslabbing so I felt I had nothing to lose.The stuff I bought was a 3 part polish.Not sure if I can mention the name here??

Caution don't assume you can reholder any coin. NGC will refuse any reholder it feels may not meet grade or color designated on the holder. This is especially true for coppers.

• I dont assume.we all know what that does! 😊

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to polish a slab....or get one reholdered.... and I have a cent with a crack in front of the coin...I know what it is... ;) Cheers, RickO

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@HeatherBoyd said:
    PCGS does not recommend the use of any polishes, cleaners, or abrasive pads/sponges on our slabs.

Nevertheless, sometimes it's required, and it's always more convenient than a reholder and sometimes more desirable.

It cuts into their profit margin.

thefinn
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before

After

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little PlastX polish and a clean soft cloth is all it takes.
    Easy to buy.

Deep scratches are permanent, of course. But even then, polishing smoothens their edges so light does not catch them as much.

I've never had much luck with NGC slabs which use a softer, more flexible plastic.
    Lance.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2019 3:27PM

Deep scratches are a piece of cake! ;)

I gouged a slab with a framing nail and polished it perfectly smooth again. Just takes a little effort.

I documented it all in this thread.

I repeated the experiment and documented the results ATS, but it's MUCH more difficult to get them cleaned up.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. :)

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 1:21AM

I am glad the Op had success... It is funny I just had this happen... Brand newp came to me in a brandy new holder and in shipping the slab became extremely scratched... You could not see the entire left field through the scratches so I had bought a popular 3 step kit sometime ago and decided what did I have to loose so I tried it... It took some of the scratches out but it dulled the appearance of the coin dramatically... Enough so that I would not enjoy it... So with that said on it`s way back to PCGS... As a note I have submitted a bunch of coins last year and a few this year that were in older holders and it was amazing to see them come back in the new PCGS plastic... Especially toners! The luster and color just popped! Like night and day! AB

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever see a slab cleaned with acetone? :o;):D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Anyone ever see a slab cleaned with acetone? :o;):D

Yes ... now I have a really neat raw coin. ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

On an early PCI slab I accidentally used 'Goof-Off' instead of 'Goo-Gone' to remove some strongly adherent sticker residue.* And, you guessed it, the plastic started to melt! I quickly removed the foul chemical and the sticky residue. I then spent way too much time polishing the plastic to remove the 'wavy' appearance. Luckily the plastic PCI used at the time was soft enough that the plastic polish worked and there is no longer a trace of the 'melt.'

*I previously tested various chemicals on slabs to see which caused damage.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

@lkeigwin said:
    A little PlastX polish and a clean soft cloth is all it takes.

Meguiar's PlastX works well. If you want to get a little fancier ... Meguiar's Clear Plastic Polish #10 for fine scratches or Clear Plastic Cleaner #17 for more significant scratches. These are also great products for your car or bike ... right, Lance? ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used Brasso on scratched slabs with success. The label even says that it can be used to remove scratches from acrylic watch crystals. Tooth paste can be used but I wouldn't recommend it since it leaves a gooey mess although it will leave your slab minty fresh. ;):D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    On an early PCI slab I accidentally used 'Goof-Off' instead of 'Goo-Gone' to remove some strongly adherent sticker residue.* And, you guessed it, the plastic started to melt! I quickly removed the foul chemical and the sticky residue. I then spent way too much time polishing the plastic to remove the 'wavy' appearance. Luckily the plastic PCI used at the time was soft enough that the plastic polish worked and there is no longer a trace of the 'melt.'

*I previously tested various chemicals on slabs to see which caused damage.

Good old Windex works great to remove residue... Spray a liberal amount onto a Q-tip and roll it around on the residue, let sit for a minute, then wipe off with a soft cloth on your finger tip... Gone and no damage to the slab

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to try something the first time, I recommend trying a small section in a corner of a slab before over the coin. I used acetone on a lab once, and the plastic become so cloudy, I no longer could see the coin. Also do not leave slabs inside a vehicle on a hot day.

• TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Before

After

@1630Boston

Which polish did you use in this instance?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file