Home Precious Metals

Slaabed Generic Morgan dollar stacking?

yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did PCGS slabbed generic Morgan Dollars fare in the last big run up in silver?

Figured $10k would get me around 25 each MS63, MS64, MS65, and MS66.

Same question is how did the run up affect with Peace Dollars, Franklin's, walking Liberty halves.

Thanks in advance

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh god no

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector vs stacker. I am both and I try not to mix the two. With coins this is how I separate them:

stacker: intrinsic value of the PM, it is just a round piece of metal with a cool design

collector: intrinsic value plus any numismatic value plus everything that entails

My two cents.

Back to collecting... oops, wrong forum. Back to stacking! LOL

:)

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to dabble with crack out and grading raw numismatic coins.

Figured it could double as a sort of grading set/stack set.

I seem to recall generic MS63 and MS64 getting bailed out and rising some but not catching all of the appreciation.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collection and stacks are different... but, of course, similar. The precious metal content is good, numismatic value even better....so, for me, it is a win/win situation. Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2011, I remember all of the grades going up. Find a Greysheet from May of 2011 and you'll see....

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    In 2011, I remember all of the grades going up. Find a Greysheet from May of 2011 and you'll see....

Are you talking about values or gradeflation or perhaps both. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall No idea really, I just remember all the grades were higher prices in the CDN back in 2011

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stack ungraded common circs

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    Stack ungraded common circs

you are correct , this the path to elightenment. Never dilute the stack with plastic

I must say, common 65's at 100 bucks a piece can't be that bad of a play...

This was a 100 bucks:

for 100 you could have 5 circs maybe 6 , gradeflation won't be an issue

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did PCGS slabbed generic Morgan Dollars fare in the last big run up in silver?

In general they did very well and sold like hot cakes at inflated prices. Just make sure they are pre-1921 and slabbed by PCGS or NGC. I had several boxes of 63/64s that I sold and did quite well. O course silver was flying high in 2010 thru 2012 so darn near anything with Ag in it was doing well. But yeah, pre-1921 generic Morgans were white hot for a couple years there.

@VanHalen said:

In general they did very well and sold like hot cakes at inflated prices. Just make sure they are pre-1921 and slabbed by PCGS or NGC. I had several boxes of 63/64s that I sold and did quite well. O course silver was flying high in 2010 thru 2012 so darn near anything with Ag in it was doing well. But yeah, pre-1921 generic Morgans were white hot for a couple years there.

as long as you unloaded them , its been the death of a thousand cuts ever since

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

How much did 63s, 64s and 65s trade for?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wanna buy a bucket of cull 90%? If silver takes a huge run up again it will have better gains than BU Morgans. It might not look pretty but will get the job done.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are avg circ Morgans and peace going for?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya can stack anything ya want...

The % profit upon sale divided by the time held (or the utility upon consumption divided by storage space and cost) plus the enjoyment factor, minus the opportunity cost, will determine the net wisdom of the purchase.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@VanHalen said:

How much did 63s, 64s and 65s trade for?

For generic pre21s in top tier holders,

63s were $50 to $60
    64s were $80 to $90
    I didn't have quantities of 65s but they were generally around $150.

It was a fun time. Especially with the Bing Cashback promos. Making money was like shooting rats in a barrel.