Home Sports Talk

Best concert you have been to.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it was a concert in Fort Collins, Colorado in the summer of 1975 at the football stadium of Colorado State University. Attendance was 40,000 to 50,000 people.

My friends and I sat on the football field in front of the stage and saw Chicago, The Beach Boys and Elton John play for hours and hours. Chicago played first. The Beach Boys played second. Elton John arrived in the stadium via helicopter and took the stage next as a surprise performer. Then all three took the stage and performed together, playing hit songs of all three one after the other. They put on a heck of a show.

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

been to too many to be able to pick a best one.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love Chicago and saw them perform in the mid 1970's.

Best was Arturo Sandoval. It was a small outdoor jazz festival in the mid 1990's. got there early and snagged second row seats. Late September it was hot before the sun set and his group had not appeared at the expected time. 20 minutes later a lady took the stage and explained that Mr. Sandoval had been in a minor auto accident and would be along later. Upon arrival Arturo apologizes for being late and promises to make up for the delay.

Sandoval grabs the trumpet and rips into a two hour non stop show. Few times he needs a break on the horn he jumps on the drums or the keyboard.

After the couple hours he looks up at the stars on the then perfect evening and says that he would like to play some dance music. The band mellows out for another hour of quality play.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

best one I can remember was back in either 99 or 2000. The Foo FIghters opened for The Red Hot Chili Peppers. quite a show

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first concert was Styx, Climax Blues and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Paid $17.00 if I remember right.

Skynyrd (with Ed King) was the tightest sounding band I have ever seen. Saw them 3 more times, they got pretty sloppy. Their fourth time in town the entire concert was VERY poorly played. They made us scream for about 1/2 hour for "Freebird", they came out and played that song very well.

Def Leppard put on a great show. Moody Blues were wonderful, Fleetwood Mac could be awesome or average depending on the night. Heart the same. Journey (with Perry) was amazing.

Too stoned to rate a lot of the concerts I attended in the 1970's and early 80's. That was kind of the end of an era for music and my mood altering. Sad that the music has changed, glad that I did!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

1989 Rolling Stones Steel Wheels was on of my favorites. Saw Pearl Jam and they were awesome but my my #1 was Guns and Roses a few years ago, Axel Rose did an awesome performance

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 7:27AM

I like rock and country music. I don't like the pop country garbage that is popular right now. I'm more into the "outlaw" country scene made popular by Waylon Jennings and Hank Williams jr type guys.

There's a really good throwback artist named Jamey Johnson. my wife and I go to see him whenever he is close to our hometown. if you ever have a chance to see him I would definitely recommend it. You won't be disappointed.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a more intimate level, in 1980 I was in old town Sacramento one night. Around midnight I went from a crowded bar/restaurant to a small bar. Only about a dozen patrons were there. Next thing I know Boz Scaggs gets up front a table takes the small stage and performs for about an hour.

He was great.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

So many great ones but probably the second US Festival back about 1983 as I was around freshman year of high school. Went with my buddy to new wave day. Oingo Boingo (our favorite band at the time) was one of the opening acts and it ended with the Clash around midnight that night. I just found the whole lineup. Per Wiki:
    Saturday, May 28 (New Wave Day)
    Divinyls
    INXS
    Wall of Voodoo - Stan Ridgway's last appearance with Wall of Voodoo
    Oingo Boingo
    The English Beat
    A Flock of Seagulls
    Stray Cats
    Men at Work
    The Clash - Mick Jones' last appearance with The Clash.

Close second would be Beastie Boys at De Anza College in February '87 right when the Beasties were just taking off. We even found a bottle of Brass Monkey at a liquor store that night for the first time so have vivid memories of standing in line drinking Brass Monkey (which, by the way, is nasty as it super sweet/syrupy from what I recall).

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

April 30 1996 Missoula Montana. Goo Goo Dolls / No Doubt / Bush

I can still hear Bush's cover of REM's "The One I Love" as the closer. Was awesome.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stevie Wonder,twice. Honorable second place Chicago,four times (the Terry Kath days). TK hell of a guitarist. 3rd place CSN.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Blues festival at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin in 1990, I believe. Place was set in a ski resort. Opened with Jeff Healey then Robert Cray followed by Stevie Ray Vaughn and Clapton to cap it off. About 7 hours total. It was a Sunday night and crawling into work the next day, my co worker who also went told me Stevie Ray's helicopter crashed on the way out after that show.

Also saw Greta Van Fleet this past year with my 20 year old son and daughter. For those of you not familiar with their music, they are compared frequently to Led Zeppelin. All of a sudden, my son is a big fan of Led Zeppelin educating me about all their great songs.
    Thanks buddy

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

1975 Pink Floyd at The Olympia. Blew my mind. I was a young teen and got blitzed by second hand smoke. I might still be high.

One of the benefits of growing up a teen in Detroit was bands would play 3 to 5 night in a row. I saw Kiss and Cheap Trick three nights in row in 1978 and it WAS off the charts

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 5:37PM

@lightningboy said:
    Blues festival at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin in 1990, I believe. Place was set in a ski resort. Opened with Jeff Healey then Robert Cray followed by Stevie Ray Vaughn and Clapton to cap it off. About 7 hours total. It was a Sunday night and crawling into work the next day, my co worker who also went told me Stevie Ray's helicopter crashed on the way out after that show.

Also saw Greta Van Fleet this past year with my 20 year old son and daughter. For those of you not familiar with their music, they are compared frequently to Led Zeppelin. All of a sudden, my son is a big fan of Led Zeppelin educating me about all their great songs.
    Thanks buddy

Greta Van Fleet sells out everywhere and tickets are stupid expensive. They are from a small Bavarian village in Michigan that is famous for their chicken. Frankenmuth. They are GREAT

Robert Plant raves about them

39 million views

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@SanctionII said:
    On a more intimate level, in 1980 I was in old town Sacramento one night. Around midnight I went from a crowded bar/restaurant to a small bar. Only about a dozen patrons were there. Next thing I know Boz Scaggs gets up front a table takes the small stage and performs for about an hour.

He was great.

Thank you for the lowdown.

;)

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 6:36PM

Lucinda Williams at dive bar in NYC and Springsteen 1996 Hartford CT and Andrea Bocelli Madison square garden back stage pass meet and greet. In 2005ish

https://youtu.be/_jMyhTSLSJ4

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

In college Michael Murphy appeared and performed in our 2500 seat basketball arena. The place was packed, everyone was drunk and/or high (including Murphy) and he put on a great show. He brought the house down with Wildfire.

in 1986 my future bride and I attended a Luther Vandross concert and the Long Beach Arena. Packed house and no one can bring out the romance better than Luther.

@Kkathyl said:
    Lucinda Williams at dive bar in NYC and Springsteen 1996 Hartford CT and Andrea Bocelli Madison square garden back stage pass meet and greet. In 2005ish

Bocelli show had to be spectacular!

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't even born yet but I would've loved to have seen this one...aren't the girls cute?😊

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xD1LYmikFw

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled what was bizarre was meeting him his smoking hot girlfriend and his wife.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Summer of 1982 in San Francisco, I saw The Clash on their Combat Rock tour. Another great band, The English Beat opened for them.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jerry Garcia Band - Spectrum 11/16/93

Andy

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Metallica opening for Ozzy

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

June 26th, 1973. Buffalo Memorial Auditorium
    Dark Side of The Moon
    Pink Floyd

Geez, this was easy! 😀

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 10:06AM

No certain order:
    Neil Young
    Clapton
    Santana
    Bob Dylan
    Joan Baez (when she sang The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, you could have heard a pin drop).
    Black Sabbath
    The Who
    Fleetwood Mac
    Stevie Wonder
    Rolling Stones
    Jethro Tull
    War
    James Gang
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Allman Brothers
    JJ Cale
    Ted Nugent
    Quicksilver
    Willie Nelson
    Johnny Winter
    Grand Funk

Those are some I attended. I have to say that Black Sabbath still stands above them all. Saw them in Birmingham after their 2nd album Paranoid was released. The lights got dim, the air got funky and they jammed. Their encore was Ironman, the place went nuts... B) ... and only $5

Bonus: I knew a girl that saw the Beatles in Atlanta, she couldn't talk for a week.

• Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Early U2 and any Springsteen show...

• HJP717HJP717 Posts: 76 ✭✭

Led Zeppelin- September 1971
    Hampton Roads Coliseum
    Hampton Roads, Va.
    Best 3 hour concert ever!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 2:00PM

1995 summer. Juliana Hatfield w/ jeff buckley opening. At a smallish club in Boston. He died 2 years later. He was incredible, and at the time I was a huge Juliana fan

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HJP717 said:
    Led Zeppelin- September 1971
    Hampton Roads Coliseum
    Hampton Roads, Va.
    Best 3 hour concert ever!

Sounds amazing!

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 7:04AM

Saw Petty and the Heartbreakers too many times to pick a favorite. Later on, the Heartbreakers always performed like a well-oiled machine even when Tom was staggering around through the first couple songs. Sad that it all ended the way it did.
    Did see them on their last tour at West Palm. So glad I made the trip...
    By the way, my favorite warm-up act for Petty has to be Steve Winwood. He usually came out later and played a song or two with the Heartbreakers.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woodstock entire event.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

2003 DETROIT Comerica park......KISS, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Saliva

2015 Ohio Stadium, Columbus......Rolling Stones, Kid Rock

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Greta Van Fleet are interesting. they don't seem willing to acknowledge that they sort of took the Led Zeppelin sound as their model. in short, Greta Van Fleet stole from Led Zeppelin who stole from various artists during their career together. I will wait to see where they go, to see if they are more than a Led Zeppelin tribute band who does original material which is how they come off to me. I have never seen the band live but watching videos it appears they are already working on "look" and stage show.

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2019 4:41PM

Bod Dylan with The Band at the Montreal forum in 1973,my buddy slipped the ticket seller 10 bucks and he handed over tickets for the second row,also Frank Zappa with the Mothers of Invention at Meadowbrook theatre in Rochester Michigan the group performed two albums his White Album and Just Another Band From L.A. lastly before they were big time we saw Ted Nugent,Bob Seager and Alice Cooper at the local high school dances, oops i forgot Iggy Pop now that really blew out minds!

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pink Floyd, 1989/90, Neckarstadion, Stuttgart, Germany. Delicate Sound of Thunder/Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

They played for 2 hours, 45 minutes. Would have played longer, but they had to stop at 11:45, as the U-bahn (train/mass transit) service was closing at midnight.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2019 2:28PM

I’m a huge U2 fan so I rank all their shows near the top (seen em cluse to a dozen times now) but for the non-fans who might consider it I will offer the two bits:

1) They’ll ‘play the hits’ but they have a lot and unless they’re promoting a greatest hits album they can play them all. They’ll also play a Solid cover (or two) each tour.

2) I hope I don’t come off as a poser but they have a knack for tremendous opening acts who seem to explode in popularity shortly thereafter. While not totally obscure at the time, many of their opening acts - the likes of which have been No Doubt, The Killers, Kings of Leon, The Lumineers - have been headlining their owns tours ever since. So there’s a pretty decent chance that even if you don’t know they opening act, they’re going to be someone you’ll hear more of very soon.

Since I feel U2 is cheating for me, I will go with The Who, whom I saw the first show after John Entwhistle (sp?) died. Roger and Pete sounded great that night and the place was rocking. Emotional show and memorable, too.

Most Famous Show would be Garth Brooks in Central Park. Awesome and I relive it on HBO from time to time...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

I saw Pink Floyd during the summer of 1975 in support of their "Wish You Were Here" album at Pittsburgh's Three River Stadium, had to be one of the more memorable shows for me. about six of us drove down from Cleveland and spent the night before the show in the parking lot and walking around the stadium. we lined up for tickets and were probably among the first 100 people inside, so we ran down to center stage and then walked backwards till we could see everything, maybe 50-75 feet. they started with some new material, played for about an hour and took a break. when they came back on stage nighttime had arrived and they played "The Dark Side of The Moon" from start to finish without interruption. after a break they returned for an encore and played "Echoes" off of Meddle.

about a month later I enlisted in The United States Navy. o:)

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to add to my list.......

2012 The Fillmore DETROIT - Guns n Roses

It was the longest and latest show I have ever been to. Guns n Roses played for 3 hrs. They came on at 11:30 and they played til 2:30 AM on a Tuesday night.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

They were still doing the let the audience wait for hours shtick in 2012?

Good God.