Home U.S. Coin Forum

Alaska Yukon Taft Dollar - HK-361

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 1, 2020 4:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been looking for an Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition (AYPE) Taft Dollar for a while and just ran across this one. It looks really nice but unfortunately is out of my budget right now. I never realized how much these go for. I'll have to carve out some budget and do some planning now!

This is gold plated on 0.900 fine silver.

This is listed in Joseph Mayer and the Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition by Paul Middents

Comments

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been searching for one too. Wow, that’s a pricey one. I’m not so sure that price is
    accurate. But, sure is beautiful tho-

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much is someone asking for this one?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 1:49AM

@thebeav said:
    How much is someone asking for this one?

$10k. A MS-63 sold in 2016 for $5600+ and a MS-62 just sold for $6,800 in a private transaction.

I'm wondering if this may be the priciest exposition So-Called Dollar.

I agree with Stef that these are beautiful which is why I'm looking for one :)

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 3:54AM

the obverse design is wonderful and the reverse lettering style, arrangement and wreath/branch seems very reminiscent of other issues from that time period. check out the reverse of HK-289 and HK-394. what I find peculiar about the listing is the worded description by the seller: HK-361, President Taft Dollar from the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in Seattle. Shevlin SH-16-5. VERY RARE, probably less than a dozen known...............................the Reverse duller as is common to all that I have seen .

he makes it sound as though he has seen enough of these to make a judgement about the reverse after saying that there are only a couple known. while I don't doubt that these are rare, probably R-7/8, it always makes me cautious when the "marketers" feel the need to help sell a beautiful item.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's a lot of scoots for a SCD, even as scarce or pretty as this.
    I guess this series is hotter than Commems will ever be .......

many SC$'s are much rarer than their Coin counterparts so it is useless to compare the two. a series, any series, of US Coinage which had an estimated number(sometimes a known number) of less than 20 pieces would be unattainable for all but the wealthiest collectors. likewise, many SC$'s have a more appealing design than standard Coins.

the HK-361 fits both criteria and is certain to end up in a top collection, hence the price.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of this design as the women's eyes all look like Momo's.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • 1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys, Could you spare $9,999. for a Taft Medal???

I nearly died of shock then heartbreak when this medal was listed on Ebay and two weeks later it was gone. BooHoo

Shirley, I jest. but I had to try...

• 1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

@keets said:
    many SC$'s are much rarer than their Coin counterparts so it is useless to compare the two. a series, any series, of US Coinage which had an estimated number(sometimes a known number) of less than 20 pieces would be unattainable for all but the wealthiest collectors. likewise, many SC$'s have a more appealing design than standard Coins.

the HK-361 fits both criteria and is certain to end up in a top collection, hence the price.

Some of us fools have incredible Dumb Luck. I collect Alaska-Yukon Pacific Medals, within a month I purchased two SH 16-9, Seward Official Medals with fob, the second, a grade upgrade. There was absolutely no skill involved. When I saw the second medal came up for a "buy it now sale" I shut down my browser in utter disbelief.

:)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is certainly a beautiful medal... Great obverse design.... I am not a collector of these, but if I found one at a yard sale :D for five bucks.... :D;) I would certainly buy it..Cheers, RickO

Rick, my new goal in collecting is to prompt your interest, perusal and active collecting of SC$'s and other beautiful Exonumia. :p

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 10:50PM

Congrats to Alex A. Pancheco for selling this piece. Looks like it might have sold for $9,000!

Here's the description for posterity:

HK-361, Taft Visit to 1909 A-Y-P Exposition, NGC MS-64, POP TOP

(SOLD January, 2020 - the listing left on my site for the information value) President Taft Dollar from the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in Seattle. Shevlin SH-16-5. VERY RARE, probably less than a dozen known, only three certified at NGC, this and one each MS-62 and MS-63 (none at PCGS). Choice Uncirculated, certified NGC MS-64, POP TOP and finest known, freshly certified out of an old Puget Sound area collection. Lovely original surfaces with considerable reflection visible in the areas without relief. Bright on the Obverse, the Reverse duller as is common to all that I have seen. For reference, the single MS-63 sold in 2016 for $5600+ and is unlikely to be available; the MS-62 sold just recently by private treaty for $6,800 and is in strong hands, so also unlikely to emerge onto the market for a long time. As mentioned, I have seen both of those pieces and neither holds a candle to this example in terms of overall look. Both those others have dull, “thin” looking surfaces, and are not all that attractive – no problems, it is just that the Gold-plating was thin or not well applied. It is hard to imagine that this example could be easily surpassed. I will also note that NGC tends to be conservative with assigning a grade to pieces that they have seen very few of, as there is no reliable standard to go by – as such, this has the possibility of upgrading a tick if they were to certify a couple more pieces in the 61 to 63 range as a yardstick, as unlikely as that may be. For the advanced cabinet of So-Called Dollars, difficult to value as obviously there is very little to compare to, so my price may be seen as being speculative. This would also represent a World’s Record for a So Called Dollar, other than the extreme rarities in Gold, as far as I know. However, go find another - I would suggest remembering the old adage: "quality is remembered after price is long forgotten".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file