Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

thisistheshow's CU Anniversary 2 Part Giveaway. Part1 for YN's and newer collectors 3/13-3/20

This is a two part giveaway. Part 1 is for YN's and newer collectors. I will extend it beyond March 20th if it doesn't have enough participation yet.

To participate you must:
-Be a Young Numismatist or newer collector. This is subjective and not based on age.
-Reply to this thread with a response which details your specific collecting interests (series,etc) and also info like questions you have regarding collecting, goals in the hobby, what you hope to learn more about. Be as specific as possible.

On March 21 or a later date if I decide, I will pick a random winner from the responders.

What you get:
I love circulation cameo in all of it's different forms. Over my few years of collecting, I have spent some time in different LCSs and these are some varied examples I have grabbed.
$2.50 face in 90%.

.40 cents in war nickels, these examples having some circulation cameo and a few are Woodies.

So all in all 2.25 troy ounces of silver.

Comments

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very generous!

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 12:56PM

Sounds awesome! I am a 15 year old young collector and my collecting interest is all over I collect folders full of Modern coins and I also have a 7070 which I love! I also like to collect paper money!

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

My 7 year old would be very interested in these coins.

His interest is what catches his eye at the show we go to.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheRaven said:
    My 7 year old would be very interested in these coins.

His interest is what catches his eye at the show we go to.

Sounds good, he is in the running!

• OneOfEverythingOneOfEverything Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2019 9:19PM

My 16 year old brother would absolutely love these! He can't afford to buy many coins for himself so this would make his year. He loves Washington/SLQ's and is currently working on a 50 states set. His ultimate goal is to complete a Washington date/mintmark set or to own "any large silver dollar"

• MjwagsMjwags Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

I am a newer collector trying to learn as much as I can. I have a couple of sets started.
    Either of my daughters would be very interested as well. My one daughter is collecting dimes so this would interest her especially. My goals right now are to learn as much as I can while I work on finishing a couple of sets I have started, while not very impressive looking, I have at least started them.
    I'd like to be able to help my daughters with there interests as well.

• CalvinhardimanCalvinhardiman Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019 9:48PM

I don't have one set that I like I collect anything different. I have tryed collecting a coin of each mint of each date for penny's, nickels, dimes and quarters. I'm working on P D and S mints for all 50 states and national parks. I've got a few old coins and some foreign coins. 99% of my coins are just face value but the history is more important to me since I'm a history freak

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you! Learn all you can before spending the rent money... :)

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

I have been interested is n coins pretty much all of my life but only put aside some foreign coins I kept from when I was in the military and when my Dad was in the military. I actually got serious about 7 months ago. I was on the US mint site and seen the PCGS site which led me to the Collectors Universe site and here I am.

I am currently working on three PCGS Set Registries. The first is a 1964-1970-D Kennedy Silver Short set (8 coins) 62.5% complete (I started this small set to build my confidence) , the second is a 1909-1958 Lincoln set (140 coins) 10% complete (this is a little daunting but I love the Wheat Cents) and third is a 1964-1970-D Kennedy Silver Proof set (8 coins) 12.5% complete. I plan to keep my sets at or above a grade of 66. This could be difficult/expensive but I am up to the task.

I noticed along the way that I grew an interest for the half dollar series so I plan to complete the Kennedy's and then the Franklin's and then to the Walking Liberties and so on. The look of the silver coins have grown to be an obsession.

I have made some mistake along the way. One was I had posted the return of my first four submissions to PCGS I guess mostly to brag but the response I received were very critical mainly because they were not the best results. But I turned this into a positive experience mainly because @RogerB posted that I should not submit another coin until I took ANA's coin grading course. So just recently I became a member of ANA and signed up for their six course Coin Grading correspondence course. I know this will be rewarding and valuable experience that will make my coin collecting more cost effective and enable me to make better decisions based on the experience of this course.

I hope this was an interesting read and not a long winded one.
    Thanks

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a very encouraging and positive read - not long winded at all. Your approach of learning with each experience, and becoming increasingly aware (the old "situational awareness" but in minute detail) will pay benefits in your enjoyment of the hobby. If more newer collectors would follow you example, each of them and numismatics overall would greatly benefit.

PS: Ask lots of questions. What, why, when, where, how.

• BrutalflyBrutalfly Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

I would like to nominate my kids for this.
    They have been interested in coins and love to find them. They look at the dates with anything they get back.
    Currently they are working on the State Park Quarters and their Lincoln cents. They are trying to get all the Lincoln cents from 1936 to 2018. Then we will work on filling holes that are older than 1936 and if they pick them up along the way we just check them off. As for the State Park Quarters they are only missing a few to get caught up to 2019. They have finished their State Quarter set and that is why we moved on to the Cents and State Park Quarters. They also have a collection of Buffalo Nickels and other older coins, as well as a few foreign coins and each have a star dollar. They even bug my wife to look at her change anytime she gets it back as well as bugging their grandparents.

Thanks for the giveaway chance. I appreciate it.

Congrats @OneOfEverything you won. Hope your bro keeps collecting! PM me your address.

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to your brother @OneOfEverything. I’m sure he will enjoy the coins.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Enjoy the coins.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • @thisistheshow said:
    Congrats @OneOfEverything you won. Hope your bro keeps collecting! PM me your address.

Thank you SO much! He is going to be so excited when he sees them!

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats for @OneOfEverything!

Great YN giveaway @thisistheshow!

@Hemispherical said:
    Congrats for @OneOfEverything!

Great YN giveaway @thisistheshow!

Thank you. I will be getting Part 2 ready for April. Trying to think of what it will be.