Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Word to the Darkside

I feel a little out of my league here and don’t have much to contribute as far as dropping knowledge in this forum being mostly a federal guy. Just wanted to say I read this forum religiously and learn everyday.

Thanks for letting go to school on your expertise

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I feel a little out of my league here and don’t have much to contribute as far as dropping knowledge in this forum being mostly a federal guy. Just wanted to say I read this forum religiously and learn everyday.

Thanks for letting go to school on your expertise

I think the topics discussed here are very broad, and offers a chance for everyone to learn something.

@Boosibri said:
    Your presence here just increased readership by 10%, WELCOME!

Quality over quantity, right?

:)

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the dark side!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict that the dark forum ends 2019 with more readers than it began with.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stick around - it's pretty fun!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm about the same, mostly liteside is what I do, but I'm in here most days checking out the threads.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its actually my favorite forum, lots and lots and lots of candy and history from around the world, I've always loved darkside stuff since I was a kid, it was a lot more bang for the buck for me back in them days, and still is to some extent, I love looking up history when I see some historical figures on coins here, as well as reading the history laid out in a post, heck of a lot of GREAT contributors here, plus I can say I honestly learn something new every time I visit here......................So Welcome to the Darkside............Resistance is Futile :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to have you over here!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yay !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

the dark side is where IT is!!
    here you get the info you need for other than US coins.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

So if I drop off this forum, I'll account for something like a 9% drop in membership?! WOO-HOO!! Now HERE's a place where my vote REALLY carries some weight!! :D

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the same sentiment as the OP

I am quite drawn to world coins/tokens/medals and the vast variety that is possible. I try to use what I've learned collecting US coins to help me in foreign issues, like being able to spot hairlines, weak strikes, doctoring, etc, but most of the time that gets thrown out the window on certain series and it feels like starting over from scratch.

Still, sometimes I break down and buy something where attractiveness and cost acceptance meet without knowing much about the piece. Frankly, I don't even know how to homework a coins actual scarcity past looking in my Krause manuals and poking around online. Medals and tokens I'm even more lost. I still shoot from the hip now and then but I know doing that too much is foolhardy.

Keeping my head down and listening more than talking has worked well for me. I try to ask a question here or there trying not to flat out mine peoples brains and hopefully respectful about the the transfer of info. In other words, I like to exhaust all my research options and get somewhat up to speed before I shoot off a question here.

Thanks to all the members here, I appreciate this forum immensely. Some really neat things have grown from hanging out here.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:
    I have the same sentiment as the OP

I am quite drawn to world coins/tokens/medals and the vast variety that is possible. I try to use what I've learned collecting US coins to help me in foreign issues, like being able to spot hairlines, weak strikes, doctoring, etc, but most of the time that gets thrown out the window on certain series and it feels like starting over from scratch.

Still, sometimes I break down and buy something where attractiveness and cost acceptance meet without knowing much about the piece. Frankly, I don't even know how to homework a coins actual scarcity past looking in my Krause manuals and poking around online. Medals and tokens I'm even more lost. I still shoot from the hip now and then but I know doing that too much is foolhardy.

I have learned through trial and error which is something I don't believe most experienced or long time US collectors will do because it isn't necessary for US coinage. US coinage is the most researched on the planet with the closest competitor to my knowledge being the UK.

Most world coinage doesn't have a real reference book or what exists may not be recent. I have one primary focus now (12 series depending upon how you want to count it as it is three mints and four denominations) which now has two books. Both contain rarity estimates, a listing of varieties and one has historical background information. One of the two also includes a population survey which the author uses for his rarity estimates but this is quite unusual. There are no established grading standards for this design that I know; though there is TPG grading and the one used by Spanish auction houses. I have not found any documentation covering counterfeits either, though I don't consider it much of a problem while concurrently recommending it to one of these authors for the next edition.

In addition to these published rarity estimates, I have also tracked the sale of individual coins since I bought my first coin almost 17 years ago. A lot more diligently in the last five or so years. For the most part, my observations are roughly consistent with the estimates in the two books I own.

When I buy ungraded coins, I never have a chance to inspect it first. The coins are very cheap by US standards but most collectors here presumably will not do it. However, except for eBay it's the only option because none of it appears for sale often so you can't buy it at your LCS and the chances are low that it will be for sale at shows either.

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some really nice people here on the darkside, glad you are interested.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome and expand your horizons... There is so much to see, appreciate and collect.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody hangs out here, most of us just don't admit it. ;)

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Folks are nicer here.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Welcome. For the mental health of our members, we are committed to CAC and OGH free environment. Your understanding is appreciated.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

PF68 RB via NEN site.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dark side is more fun, even though I derive the majority of my income from US and bullion material.

Im a closet dark side collector.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm OK with an OGH world coin!

(Though, not sure that there should be any premium - I've seen some pretty dubiously graded coins in these holders.)

My current "Box of 20"

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the ancient coin collectors were the "Darksiders" in the big scheme of things. Now the foreign collectors and the counterfeit collectors are on the dark side? Eventually, the token and medal guys may want into that club.