Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1908 Canada Specimen Set

Hi Everyone,
I bought this 1908 specimen set for around $1000 USD, and I was just curious whether or not I should grade it? I don't plan on selling in the immediate future, but I do plan on selling it eventually, and I want the coins to be protected. Any thoughts on grades and value, and whether I can get more if I sell them individually or as a set?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:24PM

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I would leave it raw. The mintage on these sets was 1,000.

The silver looks nice and not banged around. It is a shame that the velvet in the box always seems to react with the bronze cents. Because of it, it is very hard to get one graded over SP63RB.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • SPPSPP Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

I agree. Leave it. It survived quite well after 110 years....

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about carefully move all 5 coins to a custom Capital holder and save the original presentation box in an acid free box or envelope. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call... Very cool set

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

awesome set !

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one 12 years ago. a awesome set and box.
    I made the mistake of sending it to ICCS... coins came back, all 64's
    however, they were all in flippy ICCS plastic flips....Not very attractive.
    Eventually I cut them out and back into the box they went. Sold the set later.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set, congratulations, I'd leave them as is !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Those are some really interesting Canadian coins. Even though they have quite a few abrasions and marks, you should ideally leave them as is...