1908 Canada Specimen Set

Hi Everyone,
I bought this 1908 specimen set for around $1000 USD, and I was just curious whether or not I should grade it? I don't plan on selling in the immediate future, but I do plan on selling it eventually, and I want the coins to be protected. Any thoughts on grades and value, and whether I can get more if I sell them individually or as a set?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 12:52AM

That's an important piece of Canadian numismatic history right there - In my opinion it would remain significant if left in its "natural" state.

"Be still Taggart, be still. My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention!" Hedley Lamarr
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Personally, I would leave it raw. The mintage on these sets was 1,000.

The silver looks nice and not banged around. It is a shame that the velvet in the box always seems to react with the bronze cents. Because of it, it is very hard to get one graded over SP63RB.

Owner of the Uncommon Cents collections.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • SPPSPP Posts: 17

I agree. Leave it. It survived quite well after 110 years....

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about carefully move all 5 coins to a custom Capital holder and save the original presentation box in an acid free box or envelope. Peace Roy

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 19,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call... Very cool set

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

awesome set !

• YQQYQQ Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭✭

I had one 12 years ago. a awesome set and box.
    I made the mistake of sending it to ICCS... coins came back, all 64's
    however, they were all in flippy ICCS plastic flips....Not very attractive.
    Eventually I cut them out and back into the box they went. Sold the set later.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set, congratulations, I'd leave them as is !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 126 ✭✭

Those are some really interesting Canadian coins. Even though they have quite a few abrasions and marks, you should ideally leave them as is...