Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Took 7 1/2 years but 1969 BB Master set raw completed started with Bosox1976 in June 2011

I'm sure Mike (BoSox1976) won't remember but him and I did a trade in June of 2011. I traded some graded cards for a 1969 starter set of approximately 300 + cards. For 7 1/2 years on and off I picked up cards I needed on e-bay, at card shows, and via auctions. As of today I finally bought the final card #560 Luis Tiant to complete the master set. Point of contention I still do NOT have the elusive #567 Pirates Rookie no black outline and I'm starting to believe it may not exist :wink: The set is a solid EX/MT throughout overall with some exceptions and extremely well centered including all the white letters and varieties. It's a true old school raw, nice collectors set put together with care over the years. Although I have dabbled in lots of graded cards and the set registry for a while I still get a good feeling when finishing a set like this. This is what collecting to me is all about and I just wanted to share. Thank you Mike for that trade all those years ago. Now I just need to finish off my 1961, 1963, and 1968 sets that I have been picking away at for the same amount of time! Happy collecting everyone.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome! Got any pictures?

• Options
    PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Congrats!! I love the 1969 cards!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratulations! a great accomplishment. I love the 69 bench with the rookie cup

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Great work! 1969 set is loaded with stars.

How many cards are in the master set? My guess would be that it's around the 700-card mark.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. I wish I had the patience to put one together like you did.

• Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭

696 total cards in the Master set. Sorry no pictures it's currently housed in Ultra Pro pages in a binder.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Point of contention I still do NOT have the elusive #567 Pirates Rookie no black outline and I'm starting to believe it may not exist

Unfortunately it does indeed exist and comes from the regular issue and not just proof scrap.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Congrats! I build sets the same way, takes a while but it's fun.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!!! Must feel great to complete your set.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what collecting to me is all about and I just wanted to share.

Congratulations!

Mike
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Congratulations. Great set. A couple of the Pirate Rookie variations have been posted in the never ending variations thread in the post war Net 54 forum. I think there was one guy who used to post one he was willing to trade in the BST forum over there

I think the reason there are so few is that Bob continues to fill in the black border when he finds them

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Awesome...congrats!

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

YAHTZEE!
    Way to go, amigo.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats
    I also love the 69 set

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job! I was one of the first to complete a PSA graded set but I still don't have a master set, still missing many of the WL variations. I don't think I'll ever pursue the Pirate Rookie variation. It doesn't even have any VCP history.

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Congrats on the finish line.

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

@wrighty said:
    I'm sure Mike (BoSox1976) won't remember but him and I did a trade in June of 2011. I traded some graded cards for a 1969 starter set of approximately 300 + cards. For 7 1/2 years on and off I picked up cards I needed on e-bay, at card shows, and via auctions. As of today I finally bought the final card #560 Luis Tiant to complete the master set. Point of contention I still do NOT have the elusive #567 Pirates Rookie no black outline and I'm starting to believe it may not exist :wink: The set is a solid EX/MT throughout overall with some exceptions and extremely well centered including all the white letters and varieties. It's a true old school raw, nice collectors set put together with care over the years. Although I have dabbled in lots of graded cards and the set registry for a while I still get a good feeling when finishing a set like this. This is what collecting to me is all about and I just wanted to share. Thank you Mike for that trade all those years ago. Now I just need to finish off my 1961, 1963, and 1968 sets that I have been picking away at for the same amount of time! Happy collecting everyone.

I love it ! I have a 69 PSA set but would be just as happy with a nice raw set and probably less $ into it. Mine is just the basic with 1 white letter for an example.

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the accomplishment. I find it It more rewarding to spending the time (sometimes years) and effort of putting a set together by hand rather than buying a complete set outright. It took me years to complete my 1961 master set but I enjoyed every card along the way.

• Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Congrats! I have the basic set but need to double check my Pirates Rookies card