Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What do I have here? Royal arms of England under James.

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 12, 2019 7:09PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Felt like a good buy at an estate sale today. It’s numbered.
There is a gold one (1 of 4) in the royal collection. That’s about as far as I can get.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is gold it should be marked as such. If it isn't marked it probably isn't. If it isn't gold it will have very little value. Even if it is gold it is strictly a melt item that should be discounted well below the actual gold content value. Beware of "estate sale" items.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems that a silver medal of this type was sold on eBay in Summer 2018 for 25.10 GBP (plus a few pounds for postage). Probably something sold under the auspices of The Franklin Mint. Franklin Mint had an affiliate working in the UK at that time.

Bronze/brass example likely to be less, probably in line with the price shown on the sticker.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not gold. Didn’t mean to imply that. Just that the same medal was struck in gold. I couldn’t find any info like mintage numbers, purity of the silver, or past sales.
    Franklin mint make sense given the other items for sale.

It has toned pretty, but just a couple oz of silver I guess.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think most people are wondering if the tag says $500 or $5.00 ...

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was 5.00

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

$5.00 for a silver medal ... that's my kind of price!

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

350th anniversary (1970) of the Pilgrims' voyage that ended in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620, from the perspective of the English side of the journey. The 400th anniversary is next year.