Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Canadian collectors. See this one?

Comments

• What's with the grossly misshapen lettering and such, that's not just due to damage from the other side of the coin.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

The buyer is one lucky person to get it at that price. these 1921s are extremely scarce with only about 400 surviving the melting pot.
    to have one in any grade is considered lucky.
    here is mine, graded VG 10 environmental damage.
    Just wondering if that could be repaired??

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

YQQ .. Actually yours looks pretty good and should be F-20 or higher judging from the beads on the crowns. How bad is the pitting? The dark areas should come out. Your "1", as the last digit, looks like it REALLY is a "1". Many, some very similar to the coin that started this thread, are 1924's, with the 4 messed with to look like a "1" ... it has been going on for years. The new Chinese and mid-East fakes are getting better as well.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, and to think I passed on a nice VF for $2,000 years ago during my big hayday of World Coin Collecting. I was down to needing less than 20 coins to complete the whole Canadian series(no gold) up to around 1980.

Syl, thank you.
    but lets not get 1924's mixed up with 1921's. I understand some people are trying to fool many.
    this coin was graded by Louis at the beginning of CCCS (cert #) 1005100003345 I purchased it already cerified years ago) I think then he was more conservative than the pope.
    Would you risk the current grade and let Brian have go at it?
    even if the dark spot could be removed, there would still be the corrosion factor. However, I believe (coin in hand) the dark spots are a type of corrosion. some rainy day I will try take better images to see about the corrosion aspect.
    Amwldcoin
    did / do you have the QV 1-5-10-20-25-50 cents complete?

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Don't know what QV and the decimals mean. I mainly just collect Vicky large cents

QV = Queen Victoria

edited March 15, 2019 5:11AM

My Large Cent collection was complete in MS except for the 59 varieties(I did have all the varieties listed in KM just not MS) and maybe 1 or 2 others that were nice AU's. If memory serves I had all the Vicky 5 cents and was missing 1 each in the dimes,quarters, + half's. The only half I was missing was the 1870 no LCW. The funny thing about that date was 5 or so years after I sold my set. A gentleman I know brought a Lady to my table with a handful of coins in a sock. Boy did I make her day. In all the crap in that sock was a wonderful, original No LCW Half! So I can say I have owed all the Half's...just not all at the same time. I sold that coin on the phone an hour after I bought it!

@YQQ said:
    Syl, thank you.
    but lets not get 1924's mixed up with 1921's. I understand some people are trying to fool many.
    this coin was graded by Louis at the beginning of CCCS (cert #) 1005100003345 I purchased it already cerified years ago) I think then he was more conservative than the pope.
    Would you risk the current grade and let Brian have go at it?
    even if the dark spot could be removed, there would still be the corrosion factor. However, I believe (coin in hand) the dark spots are a type of corrosion. some rainy day I will try take better images to see about the corrosion aspect.
    Amwldcoin
    did / do you have the QV 1-5-10-20-25-50 cents complete?

Holy maloly.... Hate to ask $$$... but it is the past. Good for you.
    There was a No-LCW plus a 1890 , 92 and 1894 plus a few others at an auction last week in Europe. about, maybe a G4. all 100% in European style way over$$$$$$$. I think of 27 Canada items they sold 9 or so.. would have to check.
    I did not bit but got a few other treasures. You as a dealer had / have a lot more chances of buying good stuff.
    On the other hand, I owned a 1921 50 cent 2 times....Not allowed to discuss the transactions nor to post images.
    wowww

• OboneObone Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 12:45PM

@YQQ said:

There was a No-LCW plus a 1890 , 92 and 1894 plus a few others at an auction last week in Europe. about, maybe a G4. all 100% in European style way over$$$$$$$. I think of 27 Canada items they sold 9 or so.. would have to check.
    I did not bit but got a few other treasures. You as a dealer had / have a lot more chances of buying good stuff.
    On the other hand, I owned a 1921 50 cent 2 times....Not allowed to discuss the transactions nor to post images.
    wowww

I saw that collection, looked to be a 50 cent date set. Shame they were all cleaned though...

yep, and polished, one like the other, shiny and glitzy..
    and someone tried to get the milk spot off the 1948 dollar...
    the ones I bought were the diving goose, the triple 1967 $ and the 1966 small beads dollar.

I will say I sold them too early and too many before I realized how much the market had improved at the time I sold them. I did catch on quick enough about a 1/3rd of the way through my Half collection when a dealer was snapping up everything I priced! I had the Norweb PCGS XF45 90-H Half to give you an idea. Pretty sure it's still tucked away by the buyer. On the other hand if I sold them now I would probably be at par with what I sold them for then. I am surprised how the Canadian market has softened in the last 10 years.

@YQQ said:
    wowww