Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1923 Shilling - Anything Special? Yes, There Is!!! It Is a Rare Pattern

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 13, 2019 4:21AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

What do you think?

I apologize that the coin is stapled in a 2x2.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably there is.....

Will nominate for today's rarest and most valuable coin in this section of Darkside.

• Saw the sister thread on CT, always cool to find a rare pattern out there in the wild. Awesome :)

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, what's the story behind it? Did you find it "in the wild"?

Well, I cheated and bought it from a Spink auction about 12 or more years ago. I thought I'd lost it when my wife left (unfortunately with many of the coins NOT in the SDB). I thought this one was a goner and then just the other day found it in my box of date runs along with the "ordinary" 1923.
    This is the copper-nickel pattern, but appears to have more of a currency finish than the two 1924 similar patterns I had (traded one away) that had much more of a satiny specimen type finish. I have not weighed this one yet, the 1924s are purported to come in trial weights of 5.0 and 5.7 gm. I will report when I do get it weighed.

I did however find the 1946E Shilling struck in copper-nickel raw "in the wild" state, sort of, at auction in Belgium several years ago, and in an ATS holder as AU55.

Maybe a better obverse picture.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great design. ;)

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

What makes it a "pattern"? Just the metal content? :grey_question:

The lion strike looks mushy for a "pattern" on the reverse. :confused:

What makes you think the wildly OUT OF FOCUS 2nd photo of the obverse is better? Use manual focus on your camera!

:neutral:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

edited March 14, 2019 10:02AM

Ah thanks for the support! Actually this is an established pattern that is well known. The devices are of course more strongly struck, and particular the OBVERSE(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) The lettering of the legends varies subtley as well.

I was trying to show, and did most likely despite technical issues to show the depth of OBVERSE strike and particularly the hair detail.

Sadly, maintain the "acid test" of depth of strike by mistakenly going straight to the Lion face to "determine" strike - obviously, if the obverse has a strong strike, and on a heavier alloy, there will tend to be a sacrifice in metal/prominence somewhere (and that would be the lion face and snout).

FYI, the relevant early 1920s shilling patterns and proofs outside the RM and BM collections are as follows:

1920 - duck tailed milled proof/specimen
    1923 pattern in nickel (not copper-nickel)
    1924 pattern in nickel (supposedly 5.0 and 5.7 gm variants)
    1924 silver matte specimen. ex- Pretoria Mint Collection
    1925 pattern nickel of the "new" obv. and rev. to be issued in 1927
    1925 pattern silver "MODEL" Reverse (lion)

PS - photo taken with old iPhone 6S

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL on the "old iPhone 6S comment!) I'm not on the bandwagon to spend 100's of dollars every year or so to have the latest and greatest! Mine is what....3 or so years old and does me just fine!

@7Jaguars said:
    Ah thanks for the support! Actually this is an established pattern that is well known. The devices are of course more strongly struck, and particular the OBVERSE(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) The lettering of the legends varies subtley as well.

I was trying to show, and did most likely despite technical issues to show the depth of OBVERSE strike and particularly the hair detail.

Sadly, maintain the "acid test" of depth of strike by mistakenly going straight to the Lion face to "determine" strike - obviously, if the obverse has a strong strike, and on a heavier alloy, there will tend to be a sacrifice in metal/prominence somewhere (and that would be the lion face and snout).

FYI, the relevant early 1920s shilling patterns and proofs outside the RM and BM collections are as follows:

1920 - duck tailed milled proof/specimen
    1923 pattern in nickel (not copper-nickel)
    1924 pattern in nickel (supposedly 5.0 and 5.7 gm variants)
    1924 silver matte specimen. ex- Pretoria Mint Collection
    1925 pattern nickel of the "new" obv. and rev. to be issued in 1927
    1925 pattern silver "MODEL" Reverse (lion)

PS - photo taken with old iPhone 6S

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    LOL on the "old iPhone 6S comment!) I'm not on the bandwagon to spend 100's of dollars every year or so to have the latest and greatest! Mine is what....3 or so years old and does me just fine!

I'm usually the same way, but i did notice a big difference in the quality of cameras over the last few years. I'm thinking of upgrading my Samsung S6 to at least an S8 now.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah...there may be times a better camera would be nice...but I have a camera for that!

@TwoKopeiki said:

@amwldcoin said:

I'm usually the same way, but i did notice a big difference in the quality of cameras over the last few years. I'm thinking of upgrading my Samsung S6 to at least an S8 now.