Home Metal Detecting

Keys--Keys--Keys

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, now we got the key in were almost done ;)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now think of something interesting you can make out of a bunch of keys. A windchime, a chandelier, or what? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I been thinking for a long time what I'm going to do with them or how to display then. The Rock tumbler cleaned them up pretty good

• CCDAMEEKCCDAMEEK Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019 5:04AM

Ah yes. The KEY question! This is something I tend to just throw away with the junk metal after each outing. You do have some skeleton keys and antique lock keys in that mix. An antique dealer would buy those from you as there are collectors willing to pay for them! At the very least, use a magnet to separate the brass keys and scrap them! $$

Oh how I LOVE this hobby!

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Current equipment: Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030.
    Pin-ponters: Garrett Propointer AT; Minelab Pro Find 35

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's a lotta keys !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A M A Z I N G ! !... Wow.. .that is some haul of keys... How many years does that represent PPC?? Cheers, RickO

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2023 12:13PM

I thought your subject line was talking about these keys! 😂 😂 Sorry, thought I was in the coin forum. 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great assortment! Need any bowls?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also found this - You can make a Sea Keyhorse. :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Interesting.... Maybe I can think of what to do with my accumulation of old keys - must be a couple hundred in an old box in the cellar... Not to mention some on old key chains that I do not remember what they were for.... Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Interesting.... Maybe I can think of what to do with my accumulation of old keys - must be a couple hundred in an old box in the cellar... Not to mention some on old key chains that I do not remember what they were for.... Cheers, RickO

When you say old, do you mean like the OP's keys or skeleton key's?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@OAKSTAR... For the most part, like the OP's keys.... but I do have a few skeleton keys and a few folding keys.... I used to collect them years ago. Cheers, RickO

edited June 1, 2023 9:24AM

@ricko-

Got these while stationed in Germany. The base was a former Luftwaffe base during the war. It was taken over by the Americans and converted to an American base. Over the years, the base facilities and security (buildings, doors, gates, fences, etc.) were slowly upgraded to modern locks and systems.

As they were being converted, these keys were just thrown in a draw in one of the facilities maintenance buildings back offices. The facilities maintenance (plumbing, electrical, painting, cutting grass, carpenters, etc..) were run by local German nationals. I was back there one day having a beer with a couple of them during lunch. I noticed these keys in the draw and ask they if I could have. They were glad to get rid of them.

No question, these were handled by German soldiers during the war.

@OAKSTAR.... Wow... Nice old bunch of keys... and an interesting history... I would have taken them as well... even a cool box. Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

you could make a 'key' hanger
    /
    /

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

or as mentioned above
    /
    /

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

edited June 6, 2023 8:13PM

Those are neat @1630Boston