Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wooden bowls, and an omega high relief

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 3, 2019 8:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently bought a cheap lathe, and have been excited to try to make some things out of it (but have not had much of a chance yet). While visiting the inlaws for Christmas, I decided to try to make a bowl for the first time, using my brother in law's lathe. I think it turned out decent for my first attempt! I have not put any finish on it yet. I decided to have a little fun and show you the size by putting a double eagle on the back side (and to try to keep it semi coin related!). Think I should glue her on??? :D Any other wood turners out there?

Comments

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

How would you attach it without damaging the coin? :) BTW nice bowl!

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018 10:07PM

@Paradisefound said:

I wouldn't even think about really attaching it. Though, I wonder if it would make a nice novelty in the future to make the hole the same size as a morgan dollar, and snug one of those in there tightly as a finishing touch.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bowl, even without the added ornament on the bottom. ;)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice craftsmanship.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

Put it in a plastic capsule and superglue the transparent plastic capsule to the bottom.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! You've entered into one of the messiest endeavors ever!

I've got a wood lathe in my basement, used to do a lot of woodworking when I was a youngster. That was before wood became mega-expensive and the internet was invented.

Unless you have a vacuum system (unlike on my cheap inexpensive setup), wood shavings/particles will go EVERYWHERE... (Take a bag of flour, and dump it out in front of a running house fan. Most of it's going to end up close to you, but you're going to find some residue on the house three doors down... :D )

You should probably research the wood before gluing coins to it. Some woods out gas bad stuff (most notably soft woods like spruce and pine). On the other hand, it may tone your coin real purty...

Oh, and I'm not sure your level of woodworking, but you're probably going to want the ability to mount the bowl onto the lathe until you finish it. Once you apply the first layer of finish, the fibers in the wood will stick up, and it's better sanded on a lathe. It'll give a smoother finish.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! That sure is a good price for the bowl.
    Can't imagine what the gold coin costs. ;)

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    You should have tried to convince us that this is the next generation PCGS holder. "Preserves your coins, AND you can serve a salad in it!" ;)

And fill it with pot stickers.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bowl, digging the exposed rings. Tung oil or maybe boiled linseed oil? If you're going to sacrifice the gold, clear gorilla glue should do it. You gonna burn the year or cartouche in the inset? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that isn't the double eagle that I just bought from you that I'm waiting for shipment. :#
    Very nice looking bowl. After it's finished, share a few pics so we can see how it turned out. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking bowl... especially with the gold coin.... ;) Years ago there was a fellow that did lathe wooden bowls on the forum... he did a curved square one that was quite unique... I purchased one from him. Tricky work to make it square while on a lathe. Cheers, RickO

@Namvet69 said:
    Nice bowl, digging the exposed rings. Tung oil or maybe boiled linseed oil? If you're going to sacrifice the gold, clear gorilla glue should do it. You gonna burn the year or cartouche in the inset? Peace Roy

I just set it gently there for a picture... I have no intentions of ruining a perfectly good bowl by gluing a coin to it :D

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

....all it needs is some Jeweluster

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bowl made of wood. How about a bowl made of gold? :)

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty nice for first time.
    There is a craftsman named Andrew Pearce who makes wooden bowls. His are quite pricey. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was asking $1300 for one of his.

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks really nice. I love watching YouTube videos oh folks doing this kind of stuff.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Paradisefound said:

Put it in a plastic capsule and superglue the transparent plastic capsule to the bottom.

One could even cut out the button and glue the capsule by the edges. That way one could still see both sides of the coin in the new bowl slab. :D

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work, I don't have a lathe, I do have a band saw and planer and was a millman and all around lumber yard guy for my working life, you'll have fun working with wood

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

sheesh, you can't see it [the coin] there.

glue it inside the bowl so you can see with as you serve the salad.

Frank

BHNC #203

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2018 12:42PM

I would add a recess on the top side and clear epoxy that sucker in - lol.

You can keep all your Coinstar finds in it.

I have a Rockwell Homecraft lathe. It's about 50 years old but works great. I have never attempted a bowl but have turned many bud vases, chair repair parts. I would need to buy a Nova chuck for a bowl and get some better tools for turning.

Are you using inserts on your gouge? The wood looks like Ash. My experience with wood is the harder the easier to get a nice surface when done. I would make the wall of the bowl as thin as you can.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a truly elaborate coin slab!

:) Nice work!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty! Do one in Bird's Eye Maple! :love:

Whew! Bowl yes no gold, I over reacted. So waddaya gonna do to the wood? Inquiring minds want to know.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the coin will grade, but the bowl has had a lot of work done to it - sorry, "Genuine" only.

Nice work on the wood - did your wife put in an order for 8?

@fastfreddie said:
    I would add a recess on the top side and clear epoxy that sucker in - lol.

You can keep all your Coinstar finds in it.

I have a Rockwell Homecraft lathe. It's about 50 years old but works great. I have never attempted a bowl but have turned many bud vases, chair repair parts. I would need to buy a Nova chuck for a bowl and get some better tools for turning.

Are you using inserts on your gouge? The wood looks like Ash. My experience with wood is the harder the easier to get a nice surface when done. I would make the wall of the bowl as thin as you can.

I think it was pine, but am not positive. I was using just basic lathe tools, no inserts or anything. I just bought a chuck for mine, and am looking forward to making some more. Cutting a hole all the way out and plugging it with a coin sounds awesome, I may have to try that!

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2018 4:26PM

How about using a 2018 Silver Eagle instead?

Sort of a cornerstone signature.

If you do more bowls with later date (2019-on) Eagles, the 2018 could be the rarest-mintage 1, like the 1849 Double Eagle.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Hmm. The wheels are turning.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps start with a limited edition of twelve 2019 Eagle Bowls?

Let's see a nicely finished (and unique) 2018 edition.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of cool things to be made depending on the wood used - looks like a very nice start - congrats! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great looking bowl. What type of wood is it made from?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall said:
    That's a great looking bowl. What type of wood is it made from?

Spalted maple, I believe.

• PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

VERY nice... Your technique is improving rapidly!

And I agree with Lakes, a lot depends on the wood itself.

AKA Pakasmom

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful work!

I bought the lathe from a friend who is moving out of the country to be missionaries with his wife and two young kids. They are selling everything and moving to a country they have no family or real connections in. I find faith like that crazy, and amazing. I MAY try making a nice bowl (well, as nice as a newbie can make :D ) and auction it, with proceeds going to them. I'll let yall know if it happens.

You did good. Past summer I made three bongo boards for my grandkids and me. We love em. Peace Roy

Bowl update! Lol. This is my favorite so far. It came from walnut that was cut on the farm my Dad grew up on. He remembers the planks being in the barn even when he was a kid, so they have to be pretty old! I added the Omega to keep it semi coin related ;)

• blackhorse360blackhorse360 Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Wow! Very Nice

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file