Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should PCGS replace the "feet" on their slabs?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 24, 2019 4:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

On the front side of PCGS slabs are four "feet", one in each corner, to help the slabs stack better. Previously they were wider, thinner and shorter. Now, they are taller and dig into sleeve bags more.

I've also noticed that every other slab I've seen doesn't have small feet like this. They use a perimeter or a long bar for stacking.

Do you like the feet or are are they something you think PCGS should look into replacing?

Should PCGS replace the "feet" on their slabs?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, please remove the feet in a future redesign

Who stacks slabs around here? I have mine nicely tugged in either box of 20's or some other type of store box :)

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

....and I rather not talk about Willis but how about Reines?

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plus, they tend to break off!

I'm not one to require a "perfect" slab, (not what I collect), but why not remove the part most likely to break?

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

Willis was the closest answer......come on......they have to stack....leave the slab alone!!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 12:43PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    Willis was the closest answer......come on......they have to stack....leave the slab alone!!

There are many other ways to make the slabs stack that are used by others that can accomplish stacking while also making them less prone to breaking and digging into sleeve bags. All the slabs I've seen stack but PCGS seems to be the only ones with "feet".

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, the feet are awesome and add character

if it ain't broke, don't fix it. BTW, I don't care about any aspect of the NGC slab if that matters. and you sort of have a biased Poll, vanilla for "yes" and smarmy for "No" which is just silly.

sleeve bags, c'mon.

edited February 24, 2019 2:00PM

@keets said:
    if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But they are broken. See @TommyType's above!

BTW, I don't care about any aspect of the NGC slab if that matters.

I don't think that's super relevant as no other slabs have feet from what I've seen, not just NGC.

and you sort of have a biased Poll, vanilla for "yes" and smarmy for "No" which is just silly.

What would you suggest?

sleeve bags, c'mon.

Lots of people use 'em! I'm holding a $1800 coin that have feet digging into the bag as we type!

• LuxorLuxor Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd hardly call them awesome, but they serve their purpose so leave them be.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "Now, they are taller and dig into sleeve bags more."
    Well, my simple suggestion is not to carry your PCGS slabs up your shirt sleeves. Then the sleeves won't get baggy.

;)

edited February 24, 2019 1:06PM

@RogerB said:
    Well, my simple suggestion is not to carry your PCGS slabs up your shirt sleeves. Then the sleeves won't get baggy.

;)

Is this what you're thinking of @RogerB?

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any trouble getting PCGS slabs into bags.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just make them so they all fit in the same damn box. This having to have multiple box types to fit different slabs is ridiculous.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it helps when they are stacked or prevents runs fwiw

• No, the feet are awesome and add character

Doesn't bother me either way!

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

;)

bullshirt!

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what's the record for stacking?

I'm guessing maybe 80 coins???

Would 1 oz coins be better than lighter ones?

@johnny9434 said:
    I think it helps when they are stacked or prevents runs fwiw

There are other ways to support stacking, or are you saying the feet are better than other approaches?

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I hate them.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that the "feet" are not just to help with stacking, but they also might help to prevent scratches on the viewing areas of the slabs.

Think of how often you see slabs being slid around rough surfaces or up against other coins. Or, have you ever looked through a few boxes of PCGS coins that are all smashed up against each other at a show or in an auction lot viewing... lots of slabs rubbing up against each other getting all sorts of scratches.

I think those "feet" might help to protect those surfaces in the center that we want to be scratch free and I think they should remain.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave it alone. There's bigger fish to fry.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The feet are what is causing the problem with the boxes. There was nothing wrong with the previous design....wish they hadn't of changed it. Those stacked well and mixing new with old don't stack worth a U know what! And yes...those feet break off all the time. :(

@blitzdude said:
    Just make them so they all fit in the same damn box. This having to have multiple box types to fit different slabs is ridiculous.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    ...And yes...those feet break off all the time. :(

What the heck are you folks doing with your coins?
    They are not hockey pucks!

This sounds more like another dealer issue I don't care about.

I changed the title of the thread from "remove" to "replace" since that carries my meaning more and there was a concern about eliminating the ability to stack the slabs. I fully want to have them stackable, but similar to other slabs which can be stacked without the feet.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are easier to break than you think! I suspect most are broken from trying to put them in a box they won't fit in anymore!

@ReadyFireAim said:

@amwldcoin said:
    ...And yes...those feet break off all the time. :(

What the heck are you folks doing with your coins?
    They are not hockey pucks!

This sounds more like another dealer issue I don't care about.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new stacking tabs are thicker so that they don't break off as easily. If a few holder can be designed to have secure stacking without these, then that's great. The ANACS and SEGS approaches are interlocking bars across the slab. This probably doesn't solve the torn sleeve issue, though.

edited February 24, 2019 8:41PM

@messydesk said:
    The new stacking tabs are thicker so that they don't break off as easily. If a few holder can be designed to have secure stacking without these, then that's great. The ANACS and SEGS approaches are interlocking bars across the slab. This probably doesn't solve the torn sleeve issue, though.

NGC, ICG, and the old, small ANACS slabs have fairly non-intrusive stacking designs so it can be done.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "feet" aid stacking and keep the slabs from rubbing together, scuffing the viewing window. No, the "feet" are an integral and functional part of the design.

• santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

They don’t bother me a bit.

• MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

The old ANACS holders (Small Ones) are the best I've ever seen.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I use sleeve bags. Scratched slabs are a pain, you can only get so many PCGS or NGC boxes into a safe deposit box. A tip. PCGS boxes take up a little less room.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the new thicker ones are an improvement. The thinner ones are often seen chipped away, I haven't the new type broken off yet, I think they are great.

The current holders are my favorite to date.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file