Home Metal Detecting

Slot machine token dug in my backyard

DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought this was a penny until I got back inside and washed it off. A pretty cool token probably Great Depression era. Comes from a "trade simulator" called the "Liberty Bell." These machines would have sat on a counter in a store or bar and were like slot machines but paid out cigarettes, chewing gum, etc.

Pretty beat up, but it will get a mineral oil soak and we'll see what happens. Odd find, but my backyard has been yielding cool things since I started my excavations. (To the delight of my wife)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat find !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting.... I have heard of those machines... and likely some were around when I was a toddler... Do not remember seeing any as I grew up though. Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Very interesting.... I have heard of those machines... and likely some were around when I was a toddler... Do not remember seeing any as I grew up though. Cheers, RickO

You don't remember them because you didn't smoke at that early age.....

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG ... Very true... but my Dad smoked, and I often had to run down to the store and buy cigarettes..... at that time they sold to kids....Cheers, RickO

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @AUandAG ... Very true... but my Dad smoked, and I often had to run down to the store and buy cigarettes..... at that time they sold to kids....Cheers, RickO

Agree. I remember walking to the tavern on the corner and buying Lucky's for my dad.
    35c.
    No questions asked.