Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

AWESOME NEW GOLD PURCHASE! 2oz WEDGE TAIL EAGLE!

I just picked this up in a large collection I acquired and I can’t believe how beautiful it is! It’s a 2oz Gold Wedge Tail Eagle by the Perth Mint that’s graded by NGC PF-70 Ultra Cameo complete with box and coa. I looked this coin up and I realized it is extremely limited and those that are for sale people are asking like $9,000.00 to $10,000.00! Anybody know anything about this coin you might share with me? Thanks

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really well made box! Apparently, it was made to fit the ATS slab.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like two ounces of gold bullion to me ... nothing more.

All glory is fleeting.
  • @291fifth said:

Really? Gold bullion would be a 2oz Bar. This is a High Relief Proof. This is much different then 2oz bullion

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blackhorse360 said:

@291fifth said:

Really? Gold bullion would be a 2oz Bar. This is a High Relief Proof. This is much different then 2oz bullion

To me all ultra-modern NCLT bullion "coins" are nothing but melt.

All glory is fleeting.
  • @291fifth said:

@blackhorse360 said:

@291fifth said:

To me all ultra-modern NCLT bullion "coins" are nothing but melt.

I respect that but everyone else doesn’t think so. That’s why these things command the prices they do

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it's not awesome.

It 's overpriced bullion.

It's "melt me!" Junk gold, screaming for the melting pot. Screaming.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of modern gold that you can buy near melt .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• @BillDugan1959 said:
    No, it's not awesome.

It 's overpriced bullion.

It's "melt me!" Junk gold, screaming for the melting pot. Screaming.

That’s your opinion! Why call it junk?

Why call Junk 90% silver Junk?

The word 'junk' reflects that all the value is in the basic intrinsic value.

Which is the case for your modern NCLT.

Screaming.

• @MattTheRiley said:
    I don't know much about it, but I think it's a beautiful design. Thanks for sharing. The level of shade being thrown your way is ridiculous. Don't let the jerks stop you from hanging around and having fun! Collect what you like and please don't be discouraged to share.

Thank you! I don’t understand it. I just posted the coin to share with the community and maybe get some opinions but you have to deal with all the other.

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

I looked up the mintage on the Perth Mint website and it looks like it has a max mintage of 500 with only 232 sold to date!

• @MattTheRiley said:
    I looked up the mintage on the Perth Mint website and it looks like it has a max mintage of 500 with only 232 sold to date!

Thanks for the information! I did notice on the coa that the max mintage was 500 but I didn’t know that only 232 have been sold. Do you know if they still for sale from the Perth Mint even though it’s a 2016?

You can't sneeze at two ounce of gold, but that's all you have. Nothing more. No numismatic aftermarket exists.

• @BillDugan1959 said:
    You can't sneeze at two ounce of gold, but that's all you have. Nothing more. No numismatic aftermarket exists.

That’s a much nicer way to put it.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very nice, congratulations on a "cool" pick-up !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • @Timbuk3 said:
    Wow, very nice, congratulations on a "cool" pick-up !!! B)

Thank you! I think so!

• I collect Perth Mint silver. Mostly Kookaburras, Wedge Tailed Eagle. I like the Perth Mint Gold, but I've noticed they have a high premium on their gold coins, so I've stuck with American Gold, new and old. New mostly try to get close to melt, except a couple special Mint issues, like the 2009 High Relief 1907 commemorative in Deep Proof Like. Or the 100 year gold mercury dime, WL half, and standing liberty quarter. I also have an "European" gold collection of the era when countries had Kings. I like your 2 ounce Wedge Tailed Eagle, a very choice coin.

I'm 75 years old, so there is nothing new about me.

• @eddie1943 said:
    I collect Perth Mint silver. Mostly Kookaburras, Wedge Tailed Eagle. I like the Perth Mint Gold, but I've noticed they have a high premium on their gold coins, so I've stuck with American Gold, new and old. New mostly try to get close to melt, except a couple special Mint issues, like the 2009 High Relief 1907 commemorative in Deep Proof Like. Or the 100 year gold mercury dime, WL half, and standing liberty quarter. I also have an "European" gold collection of the era when countries had Kings. I like your 2 ounce Wedge Tailed Eagle, a very choice coin.

Thank You!

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Designed by the United States' erstwhile chief engraver, who has some experience sculpting eagles.

• Designed by John M. Mercanti (born April 27, 1943)[1] is an American sculptor and engraver. He was the twelfth Chief Engraver of the United States Mint until his retirement in late 2010. Note the NGC slab.

I'm 75 years old, so there is nothing new about me.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

Screaming.

I know nothing about this coin but the word "JUNK" meaning can be changed over time. China Junk dollar worth much more than silver junk now. I guess Junk can also mean very common coin.

edited February 24, 2019 2:22PM

Junk or scrap is not a perjorative term when discussing bullion-related items made of precious metals. It is a category or rating.

The coin originally shown is nothing more than bullion, and most actual gold buyers in the business would want to discount it BELOW MELT if you wish to sell.

This piece has NO numismatic premium, ZERO secondary market demand, AND THE SUN ITSELF WILL BURN OUT THREE TIMES BEFORE IT EVER WILL.

Hopium is a very powerful drug and I suggest that the true believers keep on swallowing.

Junk junk junk junk junk junk. It screams "MELT ME!!!".

• @BillDugan1959 said:
    Junk or scrap is not a perjorative term when discussing bullion-related items made of precious metals. It is a category or rating.

The coin originally shown is nothing more than bullion, and most actual gold buyers in the business would want to discount it BELOW MELT if you wish to sell.

This piece has NO numismatic premium, ZERO secondary market demand, AND THE SUN ITSELF WILL BURN OUT THREE TIMES BEFORE IT EVER WILL.

Hopium is a very powerful drug and I suggest that the true believers keep on swallowing.

You see the problem is that you have a Rotten Attitude! Why do you have to be so hard? Why don’t you exercise some class? You have nothing Positive or constructive to add. You love to use the term “It Screams” the truth is you scream “I have a Rotten Attitude, I’m a Negative Person and i have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about”!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

Screaming.

I know nothing about this coin but the word "JUNK" meaning can be changed over time. China Junk dollar worth much more than silver junk now. I guess Junk can also mean very common coin.

Except the China "Junk" dollar is named after the type of ship featured on the coin; a Chinese Junk ship. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_(ship)

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

These routinely sell for over melt.
    Getting $9-$10k is unlikely, but they do have a premium.

And one should not be talked down to based on what they collect. Younger and newer collectors are often intrigued by many of these modern pieces and can become very dedicated to the hobby. The grumpy old mentality that has been shown by some in this thread is what scares away these very collectors. Remember that the next time you wonder why the hobbby is shrinking.

Here is a sample of sales from GC:
    https://www.greatcollections.com/search.php?toyear=2019&grade_range_1=1&grade_range_2=70&ungraded=1&mode=product&series=0&listing_type=4&tobid=500&toyear1=2019&searchid=&q=2+oz+Gold+Australia+wedge&series=&sort=01

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattTheRiley said:

@jt88 said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

Screaming.

Except the China "Junk" dollar is named after the type of ship featured on the coin; a Chinese Junk ship. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_(ship)

I think you are right. Thanks

• @Stork said:

Wow, tough crowd. The world would be pretty boring if everyone only liked or collected exactly the same material. Not to mention prices would skyrocket.

And, who gets to be the arbiter of taste or desirability? Who draws ‘the line’?

Is a conder token unworthy as it wasn’t minted by a governmental authority? What about other proofs, or patterns/essais/provas—they never were used in trade and some were specifically for The Collector.

Is age a requirement? The gold matte proofs of GB seem pretty collectible, but the sovereign was a bullion coin back in the day by the way. But they were minted in the 20th century…is that old enough? The proof Trade Dollars seem to be okay. Is the double sovereign from 1823 junk? 1893? 1902? 1989?

There are a lot of other coin series I don’t want to collect, but I don’t disparage those that do.

As for this coin IMO it’s a pretty nice design and I like it. Is it fancy bullion (or as I tend to refer to it , ‘bullionesque’)? Yup. Is it what I like to collect currently? Nope? Does that make it unworthy? I don’t see why.

Plus these modern sets do have the draws of holding metal and for being achievable sets to accomplish. Nothing wrong with that. And topically they can appeal on many levels. Artistically, they can be quite well executed…but remember ‘art’ is pretty darn subjective.

'Glorified bullion’ was in fact my gateway to collecting coins in general as an adult. I was looking to get some bullion and had the bright idea of getting a bit from every country.

When I came here as a newbie and looking for information on one of the Japanese gold commems...was that a ‘serious enough inquiry’? Perhaps not, but if the welcoming committee that met me here was this harsh I probably never would have stuck around (and hopefully would have found another message board).

Instead I got a lot of advice and was led to some books on Japanese coins. If Satootoko had not told me about the Jacobs/Vermeule book well, my ‘box’ would be quite different let’s just say. Or, if Syracusian hadn’t sold me a raw Queen Victoria double sovereign (paid by personal check and mailed from Greece to a military FPO box in Japan no less).

As for the market, time will tell. At one point I had the full series of 1 oz Australian Lunars in gold and had several of the Chinese Unicorn series (enough to have the ‘top sets’ ATS for a bit. Traded and sold at much higher than the gold content we’ll just say. Collecting tastes change, but I still found them a fun way to get into both bullion and coins.

In any case, what makes something collectible to one person may not appeal to another. The phrase “You paid WHAT for that????” can really be applied to anything. And not all collectors need to collect the same ‘historical’ or ‘important’ pieces.

So, all said and done, I like the eagle.

Thank you for your comments! I am a newbie on this board but not to the hobby and everyone has been great here other then the above poster who is just straight up negative about life in general. I don’t understand why people wouldn’t want this community to grow? Why say things to new people and try to discourage them? Either way I love this board and I’m not going anywhere! Thank you again!

• @U1chicago said:
    These routinely sell for over melt.
    Getting $9-$10k is unlikely, but they do have a premium.

And one should not be talked down to based on what they collect. Younger and newer collectors are often intrigued by many of these modern pieces and can become very dedicated to the hobby. The grumpy old mentality that has been shown by some in this thread is what scares away these very collectors. Remember that the next time you wonder why the hobbby is shrinking.

Here is a sample of sales from GC:
    https://www.greatcollections.com/search.php?toyear=2019&grade_range_1=1&grade_range_2=70&ungraded=1&mode=product&series=0&listing_type=4&tobid=500&toyear1=2019&searchid=&q=2+oz+Gold+Australia+wedge&series=&sort=01

I AGREE 100%!

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019 9:16PM

Well this is the World & Ancients Coin Forum. There is another forum where this post would be welcome.

• @jgenn said:
    Well this is the World & Ancients Coin Forum. There is another forum where this post would be welcome.

It is a World Coin it’s from the Perth Mint

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019 10:10PM

No, it may be coin shaped and it certainly has value but it's not a coin and it has no numismatic value. Please read the other posts in this forum to see what we typically discuss and you may, finally, get the point.

• @jgenn said:
    No, it may be coin shaped and it certainly has value but it's not a coin and it has no numismatic value.

Of course it’s a coin. It’s a 2oz High Relief coin. You have no idea what your talking about

edited February 26, 2019 9:04AM

@jgenn said:
    No, it may be coin shaped and it certainly has value but it's not a coin and it has no numismatic value. Please read the other posts in this forum to see what we typically discuss and you may, finally, get the point.

Please show all of us where you see that this coin doesn’t qualify for a forum that is meant for
    “Questions and answers covering all types of World and Ancient Coins”

And it is a coin. It has a face value and is issued by the Perth Mint of Australia.

180 posts by the OP in his first 22 days here.

IMHO, the OP needs to lurk more, post much less.

Don't spend so much money on coins and pseudo-coins until you know more! You will be very sorry when you lose serious money!

It seemingly will take the OP quite a while to learn about the subtle distinctions in this hobby.

I fear and suspect that Larsen P. Whipsnade will be proven correct in this instance.

What the OP owns is a very recently made piece of contrived non-circulating legal tender, or NCLT.

I do believe there is some silly denomination shown on the Obverse, and while that is fairly meaningless in the real world, that presence of that denomination is what makes this round object a 'coin'.

This coin is not yet listed in the 2019 Standard Catalog of World Coins.

The piece is entirely and solely valued in terms of its bullion content by any knowledgeable person. Just screamin'...

And the suggestion (by another poster) that a bullion coin could be sent to an auction house is silly too. The premium charged for the auction service will probably cut your return to well-under bullion value.

People are simply overdosing on Hopium...

• @BillDugan1959 said:

Don't spend so much money on coins and pseudo-coins until you know more! You will be very sorry when you lose serious money!

It seemingly will take the OP quite a while to learn about the subtle distinctions in this hobby.

I fear and suspect that Larsen P. Whipsnade will be proven correct in this instance.

What the OP owns is a very recently made piece of contrived non-circulating legal tender, or NCLT.

I do believe there is some silly denomination shown on the Obverse, and while that is fairly meaningless in the real world, that presence of that denomination is what makes this round object a 'coin'.

The piece is entirely and solely valued in terms of its bullion content by any knowledgeable person. Just screamin'...

And the suggestion (by another poster) that a bullion coin could be sent to an auction house is silly too. The premium charged for the auction service will probably cut your return to well-under bullion value.

To be honest with you I could Absolutely careless what you think! As far as my experience goes you have no idea who I am or what I know and if I am going to learn from someone one here it most certainly won’t be you! Your Negative and your overall attitude on life shows through in your post. Your something else

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin sure has a great eagle design !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@BillDugan1959 said:

Some people seem to be ignoring facts. GC charges no seller's fee and a 12.5% buyer's fee. Every sale (total of 10) in that link netted the consignor the hammer amount minus a minimal listing fee. That equates to between $2,900 and $3,900, quite a bit more than bullion value.

It is sad that all of your posts in this thread are just disparaging another collector and providing less than accurate information.

• PlatinumDuckPlatinumDuck Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

Nice coin, OP! Since I am a fan of birds in general, I like seeing them on coins. Australia has some beautiful bird pieces as well as other animals. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Great Deals Buying and Selling: Metalsman, BobSav, Rick300, endzone, Swampboy, somecoins, Musca, commoncents05, Refrema, tonyhar, joebb21, kalshacon, JeremyDie1, percyb, scrapman1077, indiananationals, wondercoin, pragmaticgoat, tonedSilver, theboz11, Timbuk3, bigmarty58, HCumberdale, jp84, OnlyGoldIsMoney, UNLVino, coinguy1989, drewsef, coindeuce, pjcoins, giorgio11, Sullykerry52, KollectorKing, privatecoin, jclovescoins, Smittys, bronco2078, ajaan, jdmern, bidask, jrt103, CoinPhysicist, bigjpst, OKCC, Skanderbeg, pruebas, dizzlecc, MasonG, spummybum, SurfinxHI, snowequities

• @PlatinumDuck said:
    Nice coin, OP! Since I am a fan of birds in general, I like seeing them on coins. Australia has some beautiful bird pieces as well as other animals. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Thank you! I really like it to.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice chunk of gold. I happen to like that Eagle depiction, as well. There were a number of NGC PF70's sold on eBay for around $2,200, or 65% over melt, probably much to @BillDugan1959 's chagrin.

• @TwoKopeiki said:
    Nice chunk of gold. I happen to like that Eagle depiction, as well. There were a number of NGC PF70's sold on eBay for around $2,200, or 65% over melt, probably much to @BillDugan1959 's chagrin.

Your right and that was the 1oz coin. This is the ultra rare 2oz gold coin. Regardless I just wanted to share it with you guys.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blackhorse360 said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Your right and that was the 1oz coin. This is the ultra rare 2oz gold coin. Regardless I just wanted to share it with you guys.

Cool, didn't know there were multiple types.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

IMHO doesn't mean what you think it means , the H actually stands for HUMBLE :D

• @bronco2078 said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

IMHO doesn't mean what you think it means , the H actually stands for HUMBLE :D

I know right. He’s out of his mind the problem with most forums today is you have a lot of people lurking but not contributing anything. “Lurk more, post much less” Really?

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:28PM