Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1805 C-4 or C-3?

Sheldon_Overton_BabySheldon_Overton_Baby Posts: 60
edited February 21, 2019 12:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am pretty sure it is C-3 but the obvious rarity of C-4 makes it worth it to get a 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, etc) opinion.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to show both sides. The 1805 C-2 and C-3 have the same obverse and different reverses. C-4 (large 5, stems) is an R-2 and not rare. C-2 is rare, and C-3 is very scarce.

In the early days of the Red Book, it has the wrong coin labeled as the “small 5” variety. These coins are confusing.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    You have to show both sides. The 1805 C-2 and C-3 have the same obverse and different reverses. C-4 (large 5, stems) is an R-2 and not rare. C-2 is rare, and C-3 is very scarce.

In the early days of the Red Book, it has the wrong coin labeled as the “small 5” variety. These coins are confusing.

I posted the reverse which rules out a C-2. It is either a semi-rare C-3 or a common C-4 and not 100% what it is.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but what you have is an 1805 C-4. Here is the 1805 C-3 that used to be in my collection. Note the bulge in the right field which is a diagnostic for the variety.

Here the picture from Cohen.

Here is the picture from Cohen for the 1805 C-4.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file