Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Going to do a Dansco 7070 type set

Newman1908Newman1908 Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited February 20, 2019 1:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just wanted to get yalls opinions on where I should start first. I am planning to do this buying slabbed coins and then cracking them out. I was thinking high AU to mid MS for most of the coins. Wish me luck!

Comments

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 5:11PM

Good luck!

Have you estimated the price of AU/MS for all the coins you need, so that you know before you start how much financial commitment this is?

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good, on paper.
    Unless you have a lot of disposable income, that you REALLY don't care about, then you likely will regret doing that for some of the coins, or you will change your mind.

It's easy enough to do with modern coins. Once you get to a few others (seated dollar, etc) you will have to either go really common or understand that, whatever grade you cracked it at, it may not make in the future (for whatever reason).

If you decide, at some point, to sell, you won't likely recoup the same costs on many, particularly if raw, and/or will have to pay to recertify them and get them slabbed and/or CACed again.

If you have the funds, and the desire, to stick with your plan, knock yourself out and enjoy it. It will look awesome if you are picky about the coins/look that you put in there.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

Very cool! Post pictures along the way!

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Are you gong to include Gold?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 2:48PM

I would keep your options open and look for eye appealing coins. I have heard that the Classic Head Large Cent is difficult to find in problem free condition...and expensive in AU and better condition. I would leave 'em safely ensconced in their protective holders.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to test the waters, have you considered starting small, doing just a single denomination type set, or an era type set?

It might be fun to start there, especially if you can swing Pcgs graded examples.
    You could even play in the registry. As you go along building series/ era type sets, the 7070 group will accumulate naturally.

It is helpful to start with the most expensive examples first, then work down to the least expensive spots to fill. A set is more enjoyable that way I think, when you are not waiting to get the highest price example to finish. Less burn out feeling , in my opinion.

Going most expensive first will get some past the sticker shock, like I experienced, when first considering such a set.
    I have made peace with the realization that some types are not attainable for me, at least in the condition I prefer, or at all.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 3:28PM

Here's a type set I put together for just 20th century US coins (w/o gold) years ago. Sorry about the terrible picture from an old camera some years ago. Most are MS but a few are AU's. All are PCGS slabs (as you can see) and I put them in an Eagle slabbed album for viewing. Easy to do and very cheap. I think the entire set is only worth about 2k.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Newman1908.... Good luck on your project... it will be an interesting, and challenging, project.... If you do embark on this journey, please keep us posted on your progress. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd echo previous comments about cracking, but if you're determined to do it -- the defining coins in the set are going to be the seated dollars and the classic head cent. Maybe start there?

mirabela
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never heard of a 7070 until joining this forum.
    It's the perfect album for me.

I just finished mine last summer and it took me about 5 enjoyable years to finish.
    I was willing and expecting to have to crack out a few coins but never had to do it.
    Not heeding good advice, the seated dollars were the last and most expensive additions.

After it simmers for a while longer, I'll enjoy searching for some upgrades.

Good luck and enjoy!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

May I suggest that you take good photos of the coins in their graded holders before you crack them out and keep the insert for each coin. This would help if you or your relatives ever decide to sell. Good luck, I am considering doing one and already have about 20-30 coins I could use to start it with.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 7:08PM

I LOVE the idea of a Dansco 7070. There's something wholesome about seeing coins the way they were meant to be enjoyed - raw and tactile. There's also something enormously fun about jamming coins into holes. I have one that I work on sometimes as a side project. I like coins that I can handle a little without fear of destroying something immensely valuable. For me, that means the early issues are lower grade and the more modern issues are MS.

If people are a little skeptical with their advice it's because we've seen many people start this set, crack out a bunch of coins, and then either grow tired of it or try (often without success) to get them back into holders to recoup the value when they part with them. Think through it carefully and then do it fully aware of the potential risks.

Get the gold page. Once you're done it will be a good way to extend the fun. Besides, the page is surprisingly heavy when you turn it and that's cool on its own.

I also have a higher-graded type set that lives in slabs. People who don't know coin collecting always prefer the coins in the album. They're more accessible and the sum total of the set is easier to appreciate.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would hold off on any cracking out until you are pretty far along in case you change your mind. It will be a long term project if done right and your taste may change over time.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a 7070 in XF to AU, but there are a couple of pieces that will likely be more in the VF range. The Classic Head LC springs to mind.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I have really enjoyed this set. Doesn't have that design fatigue I have found with other sets. I also like that once you knock out the Seated Dollars, you can do it on a budget that fits your taste.

• Options

I am almost done with my 7070 set. I am searching for the right mix of price/beauty for the seated dollars. My goal is to complete 7 sets and give them to my grandchildren someday. They are all raw and I didn't have to crack any, but I've been putting away slabbed pieces of many of the types. I'll decide whether to crack later, and maybe I'll just have 7 sets of slabs at the end. I'd rather they have the books though.

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasnt willing to crack out any. This is what I am doing for my 7070.

I really like the idea of the dansco album so I also am doing a vf-au calculated set. I dont really concentrate on it much but when I see something at a show that catches my eye I buy for it.
    Good luck and have fun!!

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Newman1908 said:
    I am not doing this as an investment I am doing this cause I love coins. I don’t plan on having to recoup anything . I just want a nice album of US type coins . It will take years probably but I think it will be a fun hunt.

Good for you! It will be a lot of fun, I should know I have done two of them. I have one in mostly XF and AU coins and another in VF or a little better. Study each denomination and have confidence in your grading skills and try to buy raw coins instead of breaking so many out of holders. You could go with all holdered coins, but it doesn't have the visual affects of a 7070 album....but then, I'm kind of old school.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file