Home Sports Talk

The Baltimore Ravens QB situation.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone please explain to me how Joe Flacco fell out of favor in Baltimore?? After that, explain to me how the Team will succeed with Lamar Jackson as QB?? I see Jackson as some kind of combination of Randall Cunningham, Jameis Winston and GRIII with an ending that won't be pretty.

Al H.

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they see him for what he is......an average at best QB.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet Lamar Jackson will turn out to be better than you think.
    He's not the lousy passer everyone seems to think he is.
    He's young and looks like he'll get a lot better to me.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

They haven’t done a thing with Flacco, no idea why you think Jackson doesn’t bring something to the table. Give the kid a chance, he does run a lot maybe too much but he is playing it smart I think

Lamar has probably already won more games than RGIII ever did.LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2018 5:46PM

He's had one great playoff run that coincided with him becoming a free agent then Baltimore had to hand him a top of the market contract. Baltimore's problem is they're still paying him top 10 QB money for bottom of the league production.
    This season Jackson has led them to the same amount of wins that Flacco had in almost half the games started. It makes no sense to keep paying Flacco all that money,thru 2021,when they're getting the same production from a kid making a fraction of what Flacco is making. His deal has an out after 2019 that Ozzie Newsome will definitely move on from if they don't do it this offseason.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2018 8:28PM

Hasn’t Lamar Jackson already won like 4 out of his first 5 games? Wasn’t Baltimore dead in the water without him? I would hazzard to guess most GM’s in the league would be happy to have him now. He has a chance to be something special as time goes on . He doesn’t remind me at all of RGIII, Cunningham or Winston. IMO Winston and Cunningham are almosts opposites of what Jackson brings to the table.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flacco is an average QB on his best days. Jackson gives them a much better chance to win right now.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

suposedly Josh Mcdaniels wanted the pats to draft him

@bronco2078 said:
    suposedly Josh Mcdaniels wanted the pats to draft him

Yep. He may turn out to be the best QB of this draft

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

At his level you're supposed to be really good at what you do.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Lamar brings another dimension to the team that Flacco does not (mobility in the pocket and the run option). His longevity will be an issue because of the hits he takes. Flacco has not been as consistent as other drop back QB’s. He may need a change.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    Flacco is an average QB on his best days. Jackson gives them a much better chance to win right now.

I agree with this. The problem with Jackson-type QBs is the injury risk bus so far, they are winning with him. Flacco did have a very nice career in Baltimore but his time is ending.

Daniel
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flacco is an average QB on his best days

Flacco is ranked Number 41 all-time, I was surprised to see the names of all the "below average" QB's that were listed lower than him.

I like Flacco he certainly seemed capable in multiple games against the patriots. His skills and stats peaked just at contract time which proves he is either lucky or smart

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2018 3:06PM

@keets said:
    Flacco is an average QB on his best days

Flacco is ranked Number 41 all-time, I was surprised to see the names of all the "below average" QB's that were listed lower than him.

Based on what measure? You can throw all the passing stats out today when comparing present day QBs with those that played earlier. In no universe is Flacco #41 all time. Jackson is better than him right now and that is why he's starting. Baltimore was headed to 6-10 before Jackson took the reins.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2018 3:28PM

I would not want to rest my team's future on a quarterback who runs around like that. Yes, he looks great and exciting, but all it takes is one hard tackle, a busted knee or a broken leg, and he's toast. I have seen it happen in the pros too often. QBs can run around some in colllege, but they can't get away with it in the pros. Their luck runs out eventually.

Look at Wentz and Robert Griffin III. One is and the other might be just flashes in the pan.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

As for Flaco, as a fellow graduate of the University of Delaware, I have a soft spot for him. You can call him mediocre, but he did win a Super Bowl, which is something more than you can say for Kurt Cousins and some other highly paid and thought of quarterbacks.

He's probably on the downside now in a career that has had more pluses than minuses.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Based on what measure

based on overall QB rating.

here is what I think --- much the same as BillJones. I think that Flacco is a better passer, reads the D better and has more upside. Jackson is definitely more mobile and with what the Ravens have on Offense right now that probably gives him the edge. Flacco is older and nearing the end of the line so he is probably more fragile now then any other time in his career while Jackson hasn't even peaked yet but is ALWAYS vulnerable due to the style of play, running.

most "scrambling" QB's are doomed to fail so if Jackson is going to succeed he needs to run less and stay in the pocket. I haven't seen him that much but the Browns play the Ravens the last week of the season. it will be a good match, Jackson and Mayfield.

For my record I think Flacco was hugely overrated and stole that 100 million dollar contract. Inconsistent and lucky when it worked out in his favor

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't agree more. And the D was the reason for the SB...….not Flacco.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2018 7:15PM

@perkdog said:
    For my record I think Flacco was hugely overrated and stole that 100 million dollar contract. Inconsistent and lucky when it worked out in his favor

Agree completely.

Flacco is/was a good QB. Jackson may or may not have a successful career. There have been running QBs who developed into highly successful pocket passers (Russell Wilson comes to mind), but regardless of how that turns out, Jackson is the Ravens' best chance to win right now.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

I don’t look Jackson being a scrambling QB at all. He runs the ball by design. Almost a running back who can throw. He brings another dismemsion to the game. Every player on every down is one play away from a career ending injury.

m

Flacco was a slightly above average QB with above average game managing skills. It was good enough to win a Super Bowl

m

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

How good has his offensive line been? That seems to be very important to QB's with less than average mobility.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:
    How good has his offensive line been? That seems to be very important to QB's that are very old and not allowed to take steroids this year

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    How good has his offensive line been? That seems to be very important to QB's that are very old and not allowed to take steroids this year

Thanks for clearing that up!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Tonight will be a great test for Lamar Jackson, I'm hoping he leads the Ravens' to victory over
    the Chargers. Will be going to get my pizza and beer shortly for this contest. Going to enjoy watching this one.
    The other NFL game today, not too excited about. LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

I assume every knowledgeable football fan now agrees that the Ravens were smart to put in Jackson?

perkdog, to be honest the Ravens' D won that game for them, probably didn't matter
    who was playing QB.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@Darin said:
    perkdog, to be honest the Ravens' D won that game for them, probably didn't matter
    who was playing QB.

Agreed but really it’s better to have Jackson in there

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 1:15PM

Joe Flacco is getting dealt to the Broncos for a mid round pick and the deal won't be finalized until March 13th.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25988060/baltimore-ravens-trade-joe-flacco-denver-broncos

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Hopefully Flacco has been sending Anquan Boldin a nice big fruit basket every year. That guy made him look like Montana / Brady whoever for a very brief moment in time. He caught anything Flacco threw near him in their SuperBowl run. Caught I don't know how many 50/50 balls. Boldin left and the next year Flacco was not so Super. Hasn't been since.

Baltimore better hope Jackson gets better. He couldn't hit the broadside of a barn for 90% of that playoff game last year. Made the easy look impossible.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

This years QB class is nothing special so in that regard Elway is probably looking at other position needs for the draft and wants to try Flacco for right now and see if it will be an upgrade over Keenum, personally I think it will be the same low tier play and the Broncos will go nowhere with him. Either way the answer to his QB situation wouldn’t get answered in this draft so why waste his picks with another Paxton Lynch I guess

it is strange how we all look at things. I don't view this probable trade from the perspective of how well it will work for the Broncos, I wonder what the affect will be on the Ravens.

the decision by Baltimore is similar to what the Chiefs did last year when they put all their eggs in the Patrick Mahomes basket. Baltimore has obviously decided that Lamar Jackson is the long term answer for them but his style of play and efficiency as a passer gives me pause. the number of times he runs and the risk that comes with that should worry fans. he's exciting but limited and the Ravens have left themselves with little behind him. the logic now is "Look at all the money we freed up" by dumping Flacco but there's a hole on the bench that screams for help.

when Baltimore finished the regular season against the Browns we saw the blueprint that will be used against Jackson: load up the box, confuse him with stunts and blitzes, force him to pass and shut off his running lanes. Cleveland just wasn't good enough to win but the script was followed successfully the next week.

so it will be in a few months.

@Keets I more look at it from the Broncos point of view rather than the Ravens because to me it was so obvious that Flacco was expendable, right wrong or different Jackson is the starting QB for the Ravens. I think your putting to much thought in Jackson’s game being running only and the risks that go with it, Running Style QB’s have had success. Jackson was a rookie last year, he will potentiality grow and polish up his passing skills and his game will get safer at least that’s what I’m thinking and I’m sure the Ravrns are too.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see how Jackson handles the hits. I believe that most running QBs get in trouble/hurt scrambling, not on designed running plays. Regular RBs take plenty of hits and keep on trucking but part of that is the hits are coming from where they expect. When a QB scrambles, a lot of times the contact comes from an unexpected angle or defensive player leading to injuries.

It will be an intriguing experiment to see if Jackson can take a season's worth of hits running the ball as frequently as he does from the QB position.

Robb

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Also, now that teams have multiple games on film, it will be interesting to see what kind of defenses they will use to negate his running ability, and he didn't impress me as much of a passer. I like Harbaugh as a coach, but he will have his work cut out for him here.