Home U.S. Coin Forum

1870-S Half Dime at Baltimore

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

The unique 1870-S half dime will be on exhibit at the Baltimore Whitman Expo, February 28 - March 2. Discovered in a random accumulation of coins sold to a suburban Chicago dealer, c. 1980, this unique half dime is one of the most important U.S. coin discoveries in the last generation. The coin was purchased over-the-counter as a common date and its unique status was only learned later.

The 1870-S half dime appears in conjunction with Seated Fest II, an exhibit and educational program mounted by the Liberty Seated Collectors Club. Seated coins of all denominations will be on exhibit, including a number of noteworthy sets belonging to LSCC members. Seated Fest I was held at the Baltimore show in November 2011 and drew extensive collector interest.

In addition to the exhibits, a two-day educational program on all aspects of Liberty Seated coinage is offered on Thursday & Friday during the show. Attendance is free, but pre-registration is requested. For more information, or to register, please see lsccweb.org/SeatedFestII.shtml.

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Liberty Seated coinage and would do the educational program in a heartbeat if I was going to be at Baltimore.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have really liked to attend this show...

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Shows how almost anything can show up amidst groups of coins -- recall the 1919 doubled die dime -- many others.

PS: Is a long-distance magnifying glass required to see the coin?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a neat find.... Like the 1919 DDO dime or the rare gold coin found last year.... This is why we search coins... Cheers, RickO

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent a while at Long Beach discussing this coin with the guy who brought it to the lab where it was shot with a scanning electron microscope while the fine folks at Rarcoa were confirming its authenticity. An incredible story!

David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 6:32PM

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1870-s-h10c/4397
    This photo survived the "top 3 examples" purge! :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file