Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Purchase - 1853 Rays and Arrows Quarter with Major Reverse Die Cracking

I picked up this quarter for my slowly advancing type set. It was a very spontaneous purchase, I discovered it was for sale as an eBay auction about a day before the auction closed. She's only a VF35, but I thought the die cracking going around at least half the reverse in a pretty symmetric way was pretty dang cool! I probably overpaid a little bit, but at $110.23 (outbidded an 'underbidder' at $110), it's not a huge risk and I don't plan on re-selling it. What do you think? Cool coin but overpaid? :wink: Are die cracks like this common on this series?

Attached photos are the seller's photos, the coin is in the mail on the way to me.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

Comments

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. One of my favourite coins - even without the die cracks (which add to the appeal).

Smitten with DBLCs.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely gives it a cool factor.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 11:01AM

@CoinPhysicist I may be seeing things...but can you get a clear zoom in on the date and arrows? I was playing around with your image and...it may be a 1853/4.

PUP: "Numerals 853 were punched over 854, and the (viewers) right arrowhead is doubled".

Edit: I see that those are the sellers images...be sure to check the date area out when you receive it.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 It's not the 53/54 overdate.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool pick up!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 35 cracks or not. The cracks add a lot of character. No overpayment imo.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting die cracks..... I do not see an overdate though... Nice coin. Cheers, RickO

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Would PCGS have categorized on the slab if it was the overdate? My gut says it probably isn't the overdate, but if I can get some better photos, I can post them. I don't own a macro lens though :'( . I figured people would think the die cracks were neat!

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 5:15PM

Nice coin and I think you're alright on price; maybe a little high. They minted over 15 million coins for 1853 with 119/120 listed dies and there are many varieties; some with LDS cracks and cuds. So there is the possibility of more around. Since this probably is the most common no motto quarter there are not too many that will focus on the many different die types and abnormalities but I like the look despite some minor pin scratches on the obverse. It does not appear to be listed in Briggs. It can be an addicting series if you like seated type. I have a few with nice die cracks and cuds. A crack or cud always gives interest to the look.

Freddie

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 8:09PM

Yes, die cracks on Liberty Seated coins are somewhat common, but still pretty cool.
    The reverse on your coin is not one of the 9 identified in Briggs(1991); several of which are identified by crack patterns.
    He noted:

One could spend a lifetime, perhaps two, studying this year alone, as 119 obverse and 120 reverse dies were made for usage.

[Edited to add:]
    @fastfreddie and I posted the same thing simultaneously - it's a small world.

@fastfreddie said:
    Nice coin and I think you're alright on price; maybe a little high. They minted over 15 million coins for 1853 with 119/120 listed dies and there are many varieties; some with LDS cracks and cuds. So there is the possibility of more around. Since this probably is the most common no motto quarter there are not too many that will focus on the many different die types and abnormalities but I like the look despite some minor pin scratches on the obverse. It does not appear to be listed in Briggs. It can be an addicting series if you like seated type. I have a few with nice die cracks and cuds. A crack or cud always gives interest to the look.

Freddie

@yosclimber said:
    Yes, die cracks on Liberty Seated coins are somewhat common, but still pretty cool.
    The reverse on your coin is not one of the 9 identified in Briggs(1991); several of which are identified by crack patterns.
    He noted:

One could spend a lifetime, perhaps two, studying this year alone, as 119 obverse and 120 reverse dies were made for usage.

Thanks for the information about the coin. I don't own Briggs. But that's kind of cool that it is not one of the ones identified in it! I do like this design with the rays and some day I'd like to have a mint state version of it. But for now I think I will be very happy with this one.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't own a copy of Briggs, either. But I found most of the pages scanned online and downloaded them.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Very nice pick up! That reverse die looks to be on its last legs by the time this beauty was minted

Coin came today in the mail! Looks like a pretty nice coin in person :).

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should post this one in the late die states thread! It’d fit in well.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those Arrow and Rays silver coins are impressive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file