Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sterling coin holders I dug out to share

WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 11, 2019 7:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was rummaging through some of my papers and came across these adorable coin holders I picked up a while ago. There is a favorite antique shop in Cedarburg, Wisconsin a little north of Milwaukee called Nouveau Antiques that is one of or favorites of all time. We hardly ever get that way but when we do, we make a point to stop as they have all kinds of amazing pieces of Art Nouveau amassed in one place. If you ever get a chance, check it out. The whole town is pretty neat really.

I wasn't expecting to find these old Tiffany coin holders there, but you never know when and where these things will pop up. I asked to see them and I instantly said I would take them. They asked which one and I said "both"!

I picture them used with a smaller clutch purse for making phone calls or whatnot and tossed a few mercs in them just to show what they are for. Just a couple so as to not over stress the spring inside.

If you folks have anything similar, post it here! I would love to see it.

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have any idea when those might date from?

All glory is fleeting.
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Do you have any idea when those might date from?

I do not have any idea really. I would like to think they are from a time when a dime meant something. I'm not really up to date on Tiffany other than their vintage items are more sought after than the modern items, but I couldn't tell you when the cut off period was. Maybe someone here could shed some light.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019 10:40AM

Very cool. I actually have two plastic ones for quarters that are designed just like those. I use them to hold parking meter change. The interesting thing I found out (at least the ones I have) are used in pool halls. I'm assuming for pool tables that take quarters to start a game.

It's possible yours may have also had a specific use. If you find out let us know. I love'em!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dance halls back in the day when you could dance with a girl for a dime? (WWII era or so).

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find! I saw your picture of the store before reading the post and thought to myself "man that looks a lot like Cedarburg". I'm up that way fairly often since my parents live only about 10 minutes drive from there. We always get an caramel apple or two from Amy's as well. I don't think I've been in that particular store but I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in town.

I'm not sure if you are aware but Cedarburg Coin has moved locations, I'm not sure where to but I know they aren't in their old corner location anymore.

Collector, occasional seller

@ChrisH821 said:
    Cool find! I saw your picture of the store before reading the post and thought to myself "man that looks a lot like Cedarburg". I'm up that way fairly often since my parents live only about 10 minutes drive from there. We always get an caramel apple or two from Amy's as well. I don't think I've been in that particular store but I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in town.

I'm not sure if you are aware but Cedarburg Coin has moved locations, I'm not sure where to but I know they aren't in their old corner location anymore.

We had a great friend that lived in Mequan and we were always going there to visit as well a business. Caught a few Packers games etc. Every time we're in Milwaukee, we tour up to Cedarburg to the shops. The Gem Shop is also a favorite and nationally renowned mineral store that is a must see. Last year, I also remember seeing Dunkirk at a family owned vintage movie theatre that night for $1.00. I know you folks would love a day there. We just get a fancy coffee and stroll, taking pictures of the vine covered stone houses and feeling the blood pressure lower for a min.

The whole region is such a great area for antiques with the age of the area and proximity to Chicago etc, compared to where I live. Now with direct flights to Chicago, were like Bam! In a whole other universe for a few days.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those would be nice to have.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A contact at a major museum says these were popular from the 1880s to the 1920s. Women were becoming more independent and were out by themselves more. This required cash and cash fell to the bottom of purses. The little coin holders made cash both organized and a bit elegant. They came in sizes for small coins and in many metals usually silver plate, Monograms and added floral decoration were common.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice I like

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spring loaded?

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were quite popular during the Victorian period in England - Double Sovereign holder in Sterling.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

These Tiffany dime holders were circa 1910 to 1920...as likely held Barber vs Mercury dimes

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice. Cedarburg is my home town, know the place well. In the 90's almost every store in town was an antique store. Now it is mostly trendy coffee shops and little restaurants. In the old Mill I once walked into one of the stores and found the old lady running the place tearing open a roll of morgan dollars to put in a display case. She knew nothing about coins, but her recently deceased husband had been a bank manager and saved interesting rolls. I ended up buying several rolls of morgans and 4 rolls of washington carver halves. She Said she had many more but shortly after she died and I never got the rest.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:

@jwitten said:
    I have one for my $2 1/2 Indians

Total coins: 3 :naughty:

Cool sterling holders!

Yep, cause I didn't want to risk scratching more when I took them out! haha. Here are some of the rest.

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

My grandfather built a home in cedarburg Wisconsin on his 67 acres..
    he is gone but the home is still there
    I used to live there also

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set

@jwitten said:

Now this has me thinking! haha

I figured someone here would have something similar. Thanks for posting.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Musky1011 would like to see a picture of the home. If possible

edited February 11, 2019 4:09PM

It was west of 5 corners on 143.. north side... on the curve. Orange brick ranch
    Property ran north to Kaehlers mill road

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

@jwitten said:

Cool sterling holders!

Yep, cause I didn't want to risk scratching more when I took them out! haha. Here are some of the rest.

I was wondering about that.
    LOL

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 8:30PM

@WildIdea awesome holders. Mind sharing with those of us who are not as familiar with these as to what they go for?

@Musky1011 a quick look on google street view brought me to this property. Would this happen to be the house your grandfather built?

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:
    @WildIdea awesome holders. Mind sharing with those of us who are not as familiar with these as to what they go for?

I've seen them for $200 each at antique stores

@ShadyDave said:

Shooting from the hip, I paid 150.00 a piece and was comfortable with that.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonruns @WildIdea thank you both that is very helpful.

No.. it is on 143 it wold be south of that home

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fanciest ones I've ever seen! Made me want to browse that antique store B)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have several antique shops here in my little village.... I will have to browse them and look for those. Have not shopped around them for about six or seven months... should be a turnover in material by now. Cheers, RickO

Dang, I did well then. I paid $55 for mine. It is engraved though.

There's a few on ebay right now. Here's one with no monograms for $75 or best offer. Not a bad deal.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tiffany-Co-Sterling-Silver-925-Coin-Dime-Dispenser-Holder/303060131046?hash=item468fca9ce6:g:ES4AAOSwQ5VcYwmb

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

@jwitten said:

Cool sterling holders!

Dayum .... I’m counting 56 $2.5’s ..... let me get my calculator :mrgreen:

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    There's a few on ebay right now. Here's one with no monograms for $75 or best offer. Not a bad deal.

Damn, I just bought this one. I guess that I'll have to start buying quarter eagles to fill it. I wonder how many it holds?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty "cool", I like it !!! B)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file