Home U.S. Coin Forum

Purchased a Few U.S Mint Silver Apollos This Morning.

ElemintElemint Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭

Amazingly easy to buy and checkout. The Mint makes it painless! Here are some examples of inexpensive Apollos I've been collecting over the years. The First Landing was a memorial event in my early youth. I can't stop collecting them!!!

![](https://us.v-

![](https://us.v-

cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/ho/n6ljiukbn4ib.png "")![](https://us.v-

cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/hq/33wp04uwuxqn.png "")

Comments

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

What coins have the best potential? I.e., you can double your enjoyment, buying them and later selling them without losing money?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 12:52PM

@Elemint Thanks for showing your Apollo tokens!

Edit. More appropriate for me to say, medals.

• endzeitendzeit Posts: 17 ✭✭

Hi, the last picture that has been posted, I have an original piece like this in beautiful condition. Are these pieces sought after? I love mine but I would sell it to the right person. Endzeit

• endzeitendzeit Posts: 17 ✭✭

Have you ever heard of the 1964 SMS coins? I do believe that I have the half dollar, quarter and nickel. The small teardrop on the cross of the 4 in the date is definitely there, these came out of a collection set from 1972 showing U.S. coinage throughout the years. Any thoughts??

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have made a fine collection of Apollo medals. They would go right in with the new Apollo coins. Other countries are issuing anniversary items too.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@endzeit said:
    Have you ever heard of the 1964 SMS coins? I do believe that I have the half dollar, quarter and nickel. The small teardrop on the cross of the 4 in the date is definitely there, these came out of a collection set from 1972 showing U.S. coinage throughout the years. Any thoughts??

Highly unlikely. There is some controversy over these coins existence in general. But even if they do exist, their rarity argues against you having a set of 3 of them. But, if you think you do, send them to PCGS and find out.

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you collect these sort of items, don't forget to check out the international coins and medallions. There are MANY countries that have produced Apollo 11 commemorative material. As in all things numismatic, some are quite nice and some are quite unappealing.

I got a couple of the international offerings. @SkyMan is right. These 2 caught my eye.

Australian

Pobjoy Mint
    Titanium, shipped Mid-January

Silver

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're a huge fan of those Apollo and other space cadet coins, Elemint. If you need nominations to go along with the next manned mission let us know, I'm sure there are some members here who would be glad to see your dream becomes a reality!

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elemint said:

@logger7 said:
    You're a huge fan of those Apollo and other space cadet coins, Elemint. If you need nominations to go along with the next manned mission let us know, I'm sure there are some members here who would be glad to see your dream becomes a reality!

Thanks a Mill @logger7. You'll be among the first I nominate to fly to the Moon with me in a gold spaceship!!

Actually, one of the classic collectible "flown" pieces of Apollo missions is gold kapton foil that is theoretically cut away from the spacecraft after it's mission. The pieces are small and are normally sold in a lucite presentation.

There's just one little detail about the Apollo 11 gold kapton foil lucites. There seem to be thousands of them out there... clearly more kapton foil than ever flew on Apollo 11. The Apollo 11 gold kapton foil lucites IMO are the modern day equivalent of pieces of the cross or bones of Buddha. There probably IS enough gold kapton foil in all these lucites to build a gold spacecraft...

How you found this I'll never know. It's interesting enough and cheap enough I couldn't resist and got one. No expectations of any future profits. Just a curiosity piece to go with the US Apollo actual coins. Thanks.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck, Mr. Gorsky. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Wow! Hope Elemint gets some help!

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elemint was banned?

Collector, occasional seller

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

You are shocked?

@ChrisH821 said:
    Elemint was banned?

Elemint’s other Apollo thread went way off the rails (it’s gone now). Seemed like more than one person was using the account or something.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or maybe just one person with multiple askewed personalities

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 1:28PM

No idea what happened as I wasn't following the threads, but there are some nice medals posted here.

I like this one:

@MilesWaits said:
    Or maybe just one person with multiple askewed personalities

It was weird. The pic on his wall eating spaghetti seemed innocuous.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    Elemint was banned?

Elemint’s other Apollo thread went way off the rails (it’s gone now). Seemed like more than one person was using the account or something.

Oh, I must have missed the other one.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file