Purchased a Few U.S Mint Silver Apollos This Morning.

ElemintElemint Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭

Amazingly easy to buy and checkout. The Mint makes it painless! Here are some examples of inexpensive Apollos I've been collecting over the years. The First Landing was a memorial event in my early youth. I can't stop collecting them!!!

![](https://us.v-

![](https://us.v-

cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/ho/n6ljiukbn4ib.png "")![](https://us.v-

cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/hq/33wp04uwuxqn.png "")

Comments

• logger7logger7 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

What coins have the best potential? I.e., you can double your enjoyment, buying them and later selling them without losing money?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 11:52AM

@Elemint Thanks for showing your Apollo tokens!

Edit. More appropriate for me to say, medals.

• ElemintElemint Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    What coins have the best potential? I.e., you can double your enjoyment, buying them and later selling them without losing money?

From what I've been hearing for several months, many pro dealers were setting their sights on purchasing as
    many 50th Apollo comms as possible. I think the 5oz will probably sell out first. Of course the gold piece is nice and has the lowest mintage, but at $418+, not to many people have the disposable income to buy it at a higher price later. I think once most are sold out, their values will increase substantially by September. It will be another 50 years before the 100th anniversary is produced!

@Hemispherical said:
    @Elemint Thanks for showing your Apollo tokens!

Glad you like them! These are large medals and can be purchased on ebay for less than $20. I just keep on buying em! Here's another...

@logger7 said:

The 5oz is is now on backorder, currently out of stock. "Additional Inventory is Being Made". I was right!
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-2019-five-ounce-proof-silver-dollar-19CH.html?cgid=commemoratives#fbclid=IwAR2hHWaPihzhrnq9J1swDZNHA_0Bx8v757GNC0dhV1dlEOrAA_-_Uc1qBYU&start=1

Back Order
    This item is available to be ordered now, but it is not currently in stock. Additional inventory is being made. Please add the item to your cart to see when additional inventory is expected to be available.

edited February 2, 2019 7:48AM

Gotta wait at least 8 months now....Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Five Ounce Proof Silver Dollar Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Five Ounce Proof Silver Dollar Philadelphia (P)
    The expected in-stock date is Fri Oct 25 2019.

When I purchased yesterday, the wait period was slightly over a month. With the 2nd order, there's no guarantee any will be available.

Back to the inexpensive medals!

• Hi, the last picture that has been posted, I have an original piece like this in beautiful condition. Are these pieces sought after? I love mine but I would sell it to the right person. Endzeit

• Have you ever heard of the 1964 SMS coins? I do believe that I have the half dollar, quarter and nickel. The small teardrop on the cross of the 4 in the date is definitely there, these came out of a collection set from 1972 showing U.S. coinage throughout the years. Any thoughts??

edited February 2, 2019 5:56PM

@endzeit said:
    Have you ever heard of the 1964 SMS coins? I do believe that I have the half dollar, quarter and nickel. The small teardrop on the cross of the 4 in the date is definitely there, these came out of a collection set from 1972 showing U.S. coinage throughout the years. Any thoughts??

Yes I have but don't know much about them except some are worth over $3,000. I would hang onto your Apollo medal for it's only worth about $5-$8, not worth selling unless you have a bunch of them. I average paying $18 per medal I have and I pick only the best examples. I did buy a 5oz proof Apollo ii 50th anniversary coin and a couple of $1 proof Apollos yesterday. Cost a bundle! I found out from the mint the 5oz is the most popular and mine or anyone else's who's purchased recently won't be shipped until November. Longest I've ever had to wait for a coin!!

https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-2019-five-ounce-proof-silver-dollar-19CH.html?cgid=commemoratives&fbclid=IwAR2H1r4KGgRZHd_D5MTf9PywnfxUEbgJMBxDUBgnjv2bIew-daao9mAuKJU#fbclid=IwAR2hHWaPihzhrnq9J1swDZNHA_0Bx8v757GNC0dhV1dlEOrAA_-_Uc1qBYU&start=1

CLICK on BACK ORDER. That shows the in stock date.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have made a fine collection of Apollo medals. They would go right in with the new Apollo coins. Other countries are issuing anniversary items too.

edited February 8, 2019 10:02AM

The $1 proof arrived (Ordered it a week ago.) yesterday and it is spectacular! Many non-coin-collectors were
    very impressed. When and IF the 5oz's arrives, I'll simply BLAST off. And those curves!!!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@endzeit said:
    Have you ever heard of the 1964 SMS coins? I do believe that I have the half dollar, quarter and nickel. The small teardrop on the cross of the 4 in the date is definitely there, these came out of a collection set from 1972 showing U.S. coinage throughout the years. Any thoughts??

Highly unlikely. There is some controversy over these coins existence in general. But even if they do exist, their rarity argues against you having a set of 3 of them. But, if you think you do, send them to PCGS and find out.

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you collect these sort of items, don't forget to check out the international coins and medallions. There are MANY countries that have produced Apollo 11 commemorative material. As in all things numismatic, some are quite nice and some are quite unappealing.

I got a couple of the international offerings. @SkyMan is right. These 2 caught my eye.

Australian

Pobjoy Mint
    Titanium, shipped Mid-January

Silver

edited February 9, 2019 9:42AM

@SkyMan said:
    If you collect these sort of items, don't forget to check out the international coins and medallions. There are MANY countries that have produced Apollo 11 commemorative material. As in all things numismatic, some are quite nice and some are quite unappealing.

I know. Only The USA produces these fantastic gold medallions . I'd buy without thinking if i could. loox more like a 67 to me. One up for Balfour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Guess medal grading izza different science. @insinder any thoughts on this?

I Love it when there's no info, makes me keep on dreaming there's numbers out there somewhere in The Twilight Zone.....

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4479747-001/65/

• logger7logger7 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're a huge fan of those Apollo and other space cadet coins, Elemint. If you need nominations to go along with the next manned mission let us know, I'm sure there are some members here who would be glad to see your dream becomes a reality!

@logger7 said:
    You're a huge fan of those Apollo and other space cadet coins, Elemint. If you need nominations to go along with the next manned mission let us know, I'm sure there are some members here who would be glad to see your dream becomes a reality!

Thanks a Mill @logger7. You'll be among the first I nominate to fly to the Moon with me in a gold spaceship!!

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elemint said:

@logger7 said:

Thanks a Mill @logger7. You'll be among the first I nominate to fly to the Moon with me in a gold spaceship!!

Actually, one of the classic collectible "flown" pieces of Apollo missions is gold kapton foil that is theoretically cut away from the spacecraft after it's mission. The pieces are small and are normally sold in a lucite presentation.

There's just one little detail about the Apollo 11 gold kapton foil lucites. There seem to be thousands of them out there... clearly more kapton foil than ever flew on Apollo 11. The Apollo 11 gold kapton foil lucites IMO are the modern day equivalent of pieces of the cross or bones of Buddha. There probably IS enough gold kapton foil in all these lucites to build a gold spacecraft...

@SkyMan said:

@Elemint said:

@logger7 said:

Actually, one of the classic collectible "flown" pieces of Apollo missions is gold kapton foil that is theoretically cut away from the spacecraft after it's mission. The pieces are small and are normally sold in a lucite presentation.

There's just one little detail about the Apollo 11 gold kapton foil lucites. There seem to be thousands of them out there... clearly more kapton foil than ever flew on Apollo 11. The Apollo 11 gold kapton foil lucites IMO are the modern day equivalent of pieces of the cross or bones of Buddha. There probably IS enough gold kapton foil in all these lucites to build a gold spacecraft...

Thanks @SkyMan9.9999% of the World's POP wouldn't have a clue ore care about a simple medal commemorating one ov Mankind's and ore Women's kind foremost achimints MINT MINT MINT PUCK IT!!! And ELON want's to go to MARS!!!! Ha Ha. If I could, The magnificent Balfour gold would be highly appreciated as eye candy by me. Armstrong
    took one big step on lunar dust for all. Amen!!!

edited February 12, 2019 2:50AM

@SkyMan said:
    If you collect these sort of items, don't forget to check out the international coins and medallions. There are MANY countries that have produced Apollo 11 commemorative material. As in all things numismatic, some are quite nice and some a

Very cool! I dig this one anytime, anyspace!

My second "Batch" arrived today. These are fairly large coins, the photos show the scale relative to a medium size hand. I've been showing it to everyone and it's all oohh's and aahh's!

edited February 12, 2019 6:06AM

Another 50th. I like the contrast of colors and of course the well known landing of the Eagle design. Saw it
    for the first time yesterday and placed an order.

How you found this I'll never know. It's interesting enough and cheap enough I couldn't resist and got one. No expectations of any future profits. Just a curiosity piece to go with the US Apollo actual coins. Thanks.

@Kudbegd I did a search on 2019 Apollo's on ebay and it appeared. It is a very reasonable price and would make for a nice gift to anyone, especially a kid interest in space stuff. A nice compliment to the Mints Apollo too.

edited February 12, 2019 9:17AM

Interesting. A little too gaudy for my tastes!

Asking price, $104!

Bought this yesterday. Had no Idea these were made in sterling silver and the box is nice.. Now that I have 8 of these, 4 in the original snap locks, that'll do me for a long time.

New (Depressing) info on the 5oz 2019 Apollo 50th a dealer friend told me today....

John, If the order is accepted and paid for {I used PayPal credit}, I assume they will eventually ship when produced. Other wise, SOLD OUT should be in large red bold type.

Peter, I agree. Unfortunately the government plays it by ear. I have had many clients that bought, paid for, and got a ship date(2 months lster) on those 2016 Gold Mercury dimes, week before supposed shipping date, Mint emailed cancellation and refunded funds. This happened to 4 guys I know.
    I called the mint and they said unfortunately they over sell product that is popular and when it's time to fill orders, they can run out of product.
    Of course I said that a computer should keep track, they said it should but doesn't always happen...

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck, Mr. Gorsky. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    Good Luck, Mr. Gorsky. :)

Found this on Snopes......

.Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the “Good luck, Mr. Gorsky” statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26- year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question. When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the backyard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors’ bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, “Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You’ll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!”