Home U.S. Coin Forum

1999 New Jersey D Quarter

There are some small raised bumps on one of my New Jersey quarters. They can be seen without magnification. They are not gouges. They are raised. I thought it was part of the design, but it isn't. They appear in a diagonal line on the back of the coin. I took pictures from several angles. Post Mint Damage?

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only one side of the marks appears raise in your image. I'll bet it is damage that happened to the coin in circulation.
    Otherwise the die was damaged. I'll take the first choice - PMD until I see a better image.

• @Insider2 said:
    Only one side of the marks appears raise in your image. I'll bet it is damage that happened to the coin in circulation.
    Otherwise the die was damaged. I'll take the first choice - PMD until I see a better image.

I tried to take one from the side too, to try to show the raised bumps, and another one head on. Are these more helpful? Thanks

You have the coin. Often when something is pushed into the surface of a coin it first gouges out metal that becomes "pushed-up" (raised from the original surface) on the other side.

• @Insider2 said:
    You have the coin. Often when something is pushed into the surface of a coin it first gouges out metal that becomes "pushed-up" (raised from the original surface) on the other side.

The other side does not have anything in the corresponding area to indicate something was pushed up to appear raised on the other side. I guess something happened to it after it left the mint. Thanks.

edited February 11, 2019 1:15PM

Just because the other side is not damaged does not mean one side is not. Take your coin to a coin dealer and ask what he/she thinks.

NOTE: "Often when something is pushed into the surface of a coin it first gouges out metal that becomes "pushed-up" (raised from the original surface) on the other side OF THE MARK - not the other side of the coin. :)

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damage from another quarter.

PMD

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Damage from another quarter.

PMD

I don't think the damage is from another round coin as the "damage" is fairly long and straight. A coin's reeding should have curved slightly in that length.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily. It's pmd IMO. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely PMD..... Good pictures though.... Cheers, RickO

• DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like plating bubbles/blisters. Improperly prepared planchette. Very common has no additional value.

Thanks

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DiggerJim said:
    Looks like plating bubbles/blisters.

Clad quarters are not plated... :/

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't really tell from the pics but I assume whatever caused the damage caused sharp digs into the surface that in turn created small bumps where displaced metal was pushed upward.

@JBK said:

@DiggerJim said:
    Looks like plating bubbles/blisters.

Clad quarters are not plated... :/

While I don't agree with his opinion, I think he means bubbles in the clad layer. :)

• sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

I would thing PMD

Here is somethin similar. A line of reed marks into the coin's surface with a pushed up side.

PS Screw the white balance! :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file