Home Precious Metals

A or B question

I haven't been here in quite some time. It's nice to see many of the names here that I remember from before.

My question...I have a customer that wants to pay me in bullion.

The payment is 4 ounces of gold.

My choice... (A) a quantity of 3-- 1 oz Krugs and 10 one tenth oz eagles. or...(B) A quantity of 25--5 gram Pamp suisse bars sequential serial numbers.

I ultimately want to monetize the bullion. Which would you choose and why?

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

5 gram bars. I prefer pure gold, and fractionals carry a premium, I loathe 1 oz Krugerrands. Almost impossible to sell except to melt.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

When you buy 25, 5 gram pamps, you should have the plastic box with matching serial number sticker on top. I would only take the pamps in the box and if you want to sell small quantities at a time. If not I would take the coins.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

coins, much more liquid. Many many fake bars, most people don't want to deal with them.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend the coins...normally more liquidity than bars. Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a way to see that it is what it is supposed to be? You can test it?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Coins for sure!

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are confident in yourself as a buyer and comfortable that your customer is reliable then I would go with the bars.

As noted above you should get a box of 25 bars in their assay cards like this example: bullionexchanges.com/box-of-25-5-gram-gold-bar-pamp-suisse-lady-fortuna-veriscan-in-assay

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would prefer the coins.
    Both would be easily liquidated if you dont mind splitting them up.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 8:57PM

@sbeverly said

C. If this is your intent then just tell him you want Cash. Why fuss with all the added BS? Make life easier.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins. I've seen too many PAMP bars in packages that are fakes.

thefinn
  • bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@sbeverly said

C. If this is your intent then just tell him you want Cash. Why fuss with all the added BS? Make life easier.

Agreed. However, we do not know enough...maybe this person is cash poor and doesn't want to take an ~5% hit on converting it to cash themselves. Just sayin'.

And I ain't lying this time.
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Thanks to everyone for their response. It looks like the majority likes the coins for liquidity.

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019 5:47AM

Late to the party.

I know it was not an option in the OP, but coins and cash is another option to consider.

Coins because they are more liquid and can be sold via more than one channel. The cash because... hard cash cannot be beat and will help to prove how sincere the seller is in the transaction.

Two cents worth of opinion.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the two options, I’d go with the bars. Normally I would go with the coins, but you lost me at Krugerrand.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019 6:44AM

Buyer should be able to convert the bars to certified check. Then buy what you like. If buyer is nearby, cash is king.

Just MHO. BTW gold is down $8+ this AM typical smack down.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd do the coins, especially with those fractional eagles in the mix!

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a Precious Metals Verifier?

I would want to check either opition before accepting it. Lots of fakes out there,,,,,,

GrandAm :)

My customer decided to pay me in US currency.

I didn't have any concerns as to the authenticity of the metal. I've known him as well as the dealer from whom he purchased the gold from, for many years.

I want to thank everyone for their response.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, good ole cash!

Had a customer who offered to pay me with my choice of ground nutmeg or cotton yarn,

But we also ended up using money instead. Small world!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

I heard a cotton yarn once, but I prefer other stories. B)

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 6:36AM

As much as it pains me to agree with cohodk, I'd have the customer do the legwork and take the risk to convert to cash first, unless he's willing to pay you 5% to 6% to accomplish the conversion.

Of course, everything depends on how badly you, and he - both want to do the deal.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    As much as it pains me to agree with cohodk,

Ill send you a supply of Advil. :)

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear