Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

POLL: What do ya want?

LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
edited February 13, 2019 8:21PM in Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Would you rather me start a tag, straight up swap in the spirit of Rob's paperclip challenge, or giveaway?

2019 tally:
  • Tag 3
  • Giveaway 2
  • Depends / Maybe 1
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, it would be a giveaway...since I do not swap, sell or trade my coins. Cheers, RickO
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never participated in swapping but would participate in a giveaway.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • I haven't participated in a tag for a long time, it might be fun to do one. The paperclip was a neat idea, but you'd need to find a way to keep it moving.

David
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giveaway is the obvious choice, but since I'm honored to see you thinking of a Paperclip challenge, I voted for that. Can be fun to watch. I would participate, too, if I have anything that is suitable. I'd like to see how far you could go with it. I was modestly successful with mine, though it was a lot of work.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I think we should do a giveaway or a coin swap.
    Hi, My name is Andrew. I'm 12 years old and I love collecting old coins and bills, (mostly US money) I used to be a Coin Talk member, but now I have joined this forum.

I have been collecting for about 1 year now, (As of 1/24/2016)
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a tag?

Collector, occasional seller

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's how I see it, and why I voted the way I did....(all things said, I think if the OP has an inclination for one over the others, he should do that)

* A giveaway. Nice. No work needed. Someone gets something for free. What's not to like? image No expense for anyone but the originator. I've run some and I have won some, in the past. (I did not vote for this)

* A paperclip swap. Interesting in a way, sure. People always value something at a different rate than someone else. These usually bore me....take too long to get to a point where I, personally, would care about the item, and so I tune out. Very little expense for participants. (I did not vote for this).

* Coin tag. I've only participated in 2 in all the years I have been here. Either because it was too onerous (in the past, some problems have surfaced and some members, one in particular who I had no issues with, made quite stringent rules in order to participate, so I didn't). These can be kind of fun, as it is usually figured out for a like value, with some parameters, and the pieces can change as it goes through. Usually no money out of hand, except for shipping (which usually isn't cheap as the value for a box of coins that is usually part of something like this, can run up there a little).

Downside is that you may get the box in an order in which a coin you wanted was already snagged, or added later, after you already had the box. So, you can end up receiving the box and having to re-ship it out with no change, so you paid ~$20-30 just to see some coins. (I voted for this one as I did have fun....I got some coins I probably wouldn't have seen/purchased on my own and I was able to trade a dupe of a key...I saw it as a win-win as I didn't pay any auction fees or paypal fees, etc, and both parties went by the same guide value)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Originally posted by: ChrisH821

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a tag?

Think of it like when you were in elementary school. "Tag". "Tag, you're it".

In this case, someone (the originator...maybe Lochness in this case) puts together a group of coins (say, 20 in a PCGS box, but they don't have to be PCGS...just usually they are coins that are acceptable by most...so, PCGS, NGC, and maybe ANACS) and sets the rules they want to be used.

Then, they get a list of everyone that wants to participate. Trying to get an idea of who has skin in the game, is trustable, gets their address, real name, phone number, whatever.

List order gets generated by requests/originator as well as original list of coins.

Box of coins starts its road trip.....sent by originator to first person on list.

Person receives box (there is tracking on it...usually sent registered as well), opens it up, sees if there are coins (s)he wants to swap out for. Discusses with originator based on agreed upon values/pictures/etc. Makes any swap outs, re-lists the contents for everyone to see, saying what was taken out and what was put in...usually within a set time of ~3 days....and sends it out to the next person in line.

Rinse and repeat, each person down the line.

At the last person, they do the same then send it back to the originator. They may get the box back quite differently filled than it started out.

So, it is a "tag, you're it. coins are coming to you next" type of thing. A "coin tag"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Originally posted by: AUandAG

I have never participated in swapping but would participate in a giveaway.

bobimage

Bob....that one is too hot to touch image

(ummm....if you participated in a giveaway instead of swapping....it wouldn't be YOU as the prize, would it? image )

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Hmm this took a turn for the gutter, eh? No romantic swapping here. Unless deceased monarchs are your thing. image

Giveaway is the clear winner. My personal preference is tag, for all the reasons Bochiman mentioned (my experience was almost exactly the same).

But giveaway it shall be. When I reach 5,000. I'll make it something good.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Hello, Giveaways are fun, the ones I won I the past was giving to my Grandson, and we in turn did a giveaway Thanks MoJo1960

AKA Mojoman
    He/she wasn't thanking themselves, they were signing off. A goodbye signature. Like this:

Thanks for voting ~LochNess
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    A certain dollar amount unknown trade amongst willing participants
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set

@Musky1011 said:
    A certain dollar amount unknown trade amongst willing participants

Oh, like "secret santa" gifts? That's an interesting idea.

I'm not totally opposed to giveaways except it's one-sided (or one-directional). I have plenty of stuff I need to purge, so I'm truly OK with the act of giving (i.o., it's not going to break my bank and would actually improve my clutter issue). However ... I was hoping for more "tag" or "swap" folks to chime in, as it would be nice to have a community of give and take instead of take take take.

As promised, when I get to 5k, there will be a decent giveaway. But I might also start a tag, too. Even if @Bochiman , @lordmarcovan and myself are the only participants it would still be fun.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not as active here nowadays (have made CoinTalk my new home), but you know I still have a soft spot for good ol' CU, and for you, Nessie, so if you want my participation in a tag or something, you've got it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

I'm considering a great purge. This could be a good vehicle for certain items. Is there any interest? I'm asking [again] because it's been a while ... for me as well. I see many members "online" so here's hoping!

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LochNESS said:
    I'm considering a great purge. This could be a good vehicle for certain items. Is there any interest? I'm asking [again] because it's been a while ... for me as well. I see many members "online" so here's hoping!

sign me in for tag.

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll play.. depending on the rules

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Giveaway !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • MjwagsMjwags Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:
    Giveaway !!! :)

agreed

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

Tag or swap

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

Tally updated in OP!
    Any other votes? Maybe we can do both.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tag

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • zippcityzippcity Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭

tag sounds interesting, let's go with that.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-

TAG!

• @LochNESS said:
    Hmm this took a turn for the gutter, eh? No romantic swapping here. Unless deceased monarchs are your thing.

Giveaway is the clear winner. My personal preference is tag, for all the reasons Bochiman mentioned (my experience was almost exactly the same).

But giveaway it shall be. When I reach 5,000. I'll make it something good.

What do you mean when you reach 5000? I'm still kinda new here so just trying to understand

Oh well, have fun!

Hey @Calvinhardiman sorry for the long delay. I've been … away. "When I reach 5000" posts. On these old boards, we occasionally celebrate post count milestones. Or at least, we used to …

@Calvinhardiman said:
    What do you mean when you reach 5000? I'm still kinda new here so just trying to understand

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@LochNESS said:
    Hey @Calvinhardiman sorry for the long delay. I've been … away. "When I reach 5000" posts. On these old boards, we occasionally celebrate post count milestones. Or at least, we used to …

@Calvinhardiman said:

Well that was a like 9ish month delay.

Actually, it was a year and eight months. But who's counting. It's only money :smiley:

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@LochNESS said:
    Actually, it was a year and eight months. But who's counting. It's only money :smiley:

You apparently

The math isn't that hard :D

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

OK. After some turns around the Life game board, I'm trying this again. With the serious intent to follow through. Are we doing a tag? a swap? don't care which? I'm sorry I haven't been active but I'd like to be. I'm hoping this is a way back in.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're in, that's what's great about CU. It's open 24/7. I start my day at 5:45, coffee and coins. Giveaways are my fave. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like giveaways. I have done several and won a few. I have never participated in a tag, but it sounds interesting.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭

I want Peace on Earth. Merry Christmas to all.