Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Massive electric current through 5c coin! Pretty cool video.

Euro coin, I think. Out of focus on my screen. Anyway if you like science and/or math (attention all YNs and fellow nerdists) then you should check out the comments below the video. Some very, VERY detailed explanations and equations of how this all works.

This is toroidal transformer experiment. Electric current is more than 600A (amps)!

YouTube video of massive electric current experiment

(for those who are cautious, the URL is https://youtu.be/1zrlOLrDuG4)
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

3.5 years and no comment. Well, I thought it was cool.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, can you get 5 cent euro coins from AMPex..tee hee

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fartificially toned >:)

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy needs to get a hobby !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is total fata morgana..
    At a current draw of 600 Amps, and if the wires are "connected loose ,like shown, not solidly attached, there would be arcs and sparks for a 1/2 a second. then the coin would either melt to one wire, or jump away as piece of fried metal. the circuit would then be open. perhaps the fuse, if installed, would have blown. but I doubt that a Euro coin would blow a 600 amp fuse.
    please do not forget that these wires as shown are not a solid connection to cause a short! they are only touching the coin.
    even if solidly connected, The 5 cent Euro coin in this case becomes a part of a current carrying circuit with a load. Like a heater or whatever. like shown in the video The video is not truthful as the coin would melt in seconds as it is not able to carry 600 amps.
    it is like taking a 1" Water hose and pump it full to flow at full capacity. then stop the flow, cut the hose and insert a piece of 1/2 " hose. then again pump as before with full flow. see what will happen to the 1/2 " insert.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Very cool

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's scary AF! :o:#

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of taking a hit from a 220 electric line when I was an electrician. Ouch! Yeah electricity is a force to be reckoned with. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

edited February 11, 2019 4:45PM

namevet69 , YOU too?

If they run 600 amp through this coin, it would not last longer than 5 sec. Not even. I see NO connectors to make a solid connection. something is a bit "fishy" here but April B) 1 is still a few months away...

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    If they run 600 amp through this coin, it would not last longer than 5 sec. Not even. I see NO connectors to make a solid connection. something is a bit "fishy" here but April B) 1 is still a few months away...

(1) It sounds like they are switching the power ON / OFF multiple times to delay melt

(2) Could it also be playing in slow motion?

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

they would need at least a 1 800-1000 amp fuse to carry the inrush.
    now if the coin is used quasi as a wire connector to feed a 100 watt heater or a 1000 watt heater at 220 volt, or 110 volt, it would just get warm and if not solidly connected, would arc.
    something fishyyyyyyy