Home PSA Set Registry Forum

New England Sports Cards

I was told that NE Sportscards is basically the dumping ground for anything 4SharpCorners doesn’t send in. Yet, when I look at some of the 80’a singles they have on eBay, some look like potential 9’s or 10’s just based on centering, edges and corners. Anyone have any luck subbing 80’s cards from them?

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 11:07AM

It’s also possible that there are nice cards they just don’t find worth submitting, though with their discounted volume sub fees that doesn’t seem to be much.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't tried '80's from NESC, but have had some luck with 9's on a couple nice '70's pickups from them.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@88horsepower said:
    I was told that NE Sportscards is basically the dumping ground for anything 4SharpCorners doesn’t send in. Yet, when I look at some of the 80’a singles they have on eBay, some look like potential 9’s or 10’s just based on centering, edges and corners. Anyone have any luck subbing 80’s cards from them?

Just from reading around here, my guess is your entire read of the situation is correct.

Having given it thought before, I came up with this as the reason:

If everything I know is correct, there’s a massive hoard and even with the discounted slabbing, the profitability model still only works if you’re submitted percentage of ‘10’ is incredibly high on modern cards. As such, you almost have to have an absurdly high rejection criteria generating a ‘Pristine’ pile (which will still have an occasional miss of 9) and everything else is sold raw for a nice but lower margin.

I also imagine star cards are prioritized heavilybin the process.

Just my two cents.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

I bought a raw 1981 Topps Pete Rose from them for like $1.50 on ebay that graded a PSA 9. Very clean card except for a small fisheye.

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

I subbed a 1981 Topps card that came back a 9. I have bought other cards from them before but don't remember what else I subbed from them.

• I did end up buying the three singles I targeted and they each have very minuscule flaws. Two have ever so teeny fisheyes. The other has a barely noticeable edge showing white. It’s so small and I can see both cards getting a 9, at worst, unless there’s something I’m missing. Very pleased.

I’m in a similar boat; I am working on the 1998 Yankees Rookies Set (in PSA 10) and some of the cards are looking like they’ll be the ‘sub and hope’ type as I have been looking a the 10s rarely if ever surface. Obviously; the stars can be easy to come by (costly, sure) but the 1997 Bowman Chrome Rickey Ledee’s and 1992 Fleer Update Jeff Nelson cards are probably quite loved by their owners. Anyhow, before I get sidetracked, I picked up these two for that set in the hopes that their assessment of ‘mint’ is an undergrade (on one, anyway). The cards are pretty clean and the corners look good with one being a little better centered:

1982 Topps #171 SF Giants Future Stars (Chili Davis)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭

1951 Wheaties. to me it doesn't look like either c Davis could get a 10. I wish you luck on them.
    There lies the problem.
    According to VCP you can break even at an 8, maybe even a 9. A 10 goes for about $30
    I figure it costs $10 minimum to get a card graded (bulk sub with shipping)

I used to look to buy yankee topps psa 10's for less than my grading cost on the 4SC website.
    Now they are not grading the lower price cards.

On another thread it was mentioned 4SC may be getting cards graded for as little as $2

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

@jay0791 said:
    1951 Wheaties. to me it doesn't look like either c Davis could get a 10. I wish you luck on them.
    There lies the problem.
    According to VCP you can break even at an 8, maybe even a 9. A 10 goes for about $30
    I figure it costs $10 minimum to get a card graded (bulk sub with shipping)

I used to look to buy yankee topps psa 10's for less than my grading cost on the 4SC website.
    Now they are not grading the lower price cards.

On another thread it was mentioned 4SC may be getting cards graded for as little as $2

I agree with you. Like I said, I was hopeful but not expectant and have them in the ‘round out a sub’ pile. At $3 per card for them I figured I’d check them out in hand and with NESC being the 4sc dumping ground and their assessment of ‘Mint’, i thought it was worth the gamble. Again, even we’re it a 10, I’m not so sure it’s a good use of a slab for their business model. Just conjecture on my part, though.

I believe it may be under $2/card for 4sc - someone did some digging through a PSA financial release and saw the ‘range’ of service pricing, if memory serves.

It makes even more sense for 4sc to stop with ‘commons’ now that the PSA Registry seems to have so many collector created and player sets as opposed to traditional set building.