Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New Orleans this weekend. Suggestions? ... PHOTOS ADDED

LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
edited February 13, 2019 8:23PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I'm playing some concerts in New Orleans Feb 8-11. Any suggestions for numismatic adventure?

I've been to NOLA many times but this will be the first trip where I have 1.5 days to wander.

UPDATE: Thanks for the suggestions! Here are my photos from the old NOLA Mint. Placard + item. Regarding the coins, I had neither time nor a [real] camera so I shot enough to give you an idea. Lemme know if you want larger files.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must see Cohen & Sons on Royal street.
    Then go eat BBQ shrimp at Pascals Manale and Beignets at Cafe de Monde.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

No idea for coins but try Irene's for Italian food with a local twist.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019 9:26PM

Causeway Coin Company is a small,shabby, disorganized shop. They don't have tons of high end stuff here, and it can be hard to find what you want. When I went the owner had a big binder of foreign silver that he had listed for reasonable prices. I ended up picking up a handful of items for 50-60% of Krause world coin prices.

Coin and Collectibles Shop in Kenner is a much nicer shop, but they generally have very little by way of world coins. They might be worth a visit for US coins, but not for world coins.

Those are the only two I stopped by last time I was in New Orleans for work.

Don't even both trying to get cajun food in town. You have to get out of town for that. The fine dining is excellent though. Even after living there for a few years, I still thought Parkway Brewery and Tavern had the best roast beef and gravy po-boys. The WWII museum is amazing. It's just a really well done museum. period. A clear cut above any kind of coverage WWII gets at the Smithsonian in D.C.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ummm, beignets!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the suggestions! Photos added.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Logged in tonight for the first time in about 1.5 years, revisiting some old travel photos. Anyone go anywhere recently? Some friends of mine have taken road trips to national parks, wondering if anyone has done a numismatic trip. I guess I'll find out soon enough once I've browsed the forum!

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LochNESS said:
    Logged in tonight for the first time in about 1.5 years, revisiting some old travel photos. Anyone go anywhere recently? Some friends of mine have taken road trips to national parks, wondering if anyone has done a numismatic trip. I guess I'll find out soon enough once I've browsed the forum!

Welcome back !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Hey, thanks buddy :)

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE