Home Sports Talk

Brady's legacy post LIII

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2019 7:44PM in Sports Talk

i've been thinking about this, so i'd like everyone to opine with their own (unbiased, if possible) point of view. better than average chance this thread takes a trip straight down the commode, but i'll take my chances.

9 SBs, which is beyond ridiculous

Pats win, 6-3. undisputed goat imo, regardless of what happens the remainder of his career.

Pats lose, 5-4 with consecutive losses in the big game. any tarnishing? still the goat? would he have to win another before his career ends to cement? personally speaking, if this scenario happens, it will get partly to mostly cloudy in my head.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had Montana as the GOAT for a long time now.

Recently I've been considering placing Brady as the GOAT. I have been carefully and meticulously contemplating this important decision.

I just wish the media and the paparazzi would stop bugging me to finally make the decision one way or the other, that i do fully realize the world of sports anxiously awaits. I really hate being rushed.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he is the GOAT no matter who wins Sunday. Who has done more??????

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched Johnny U and Joe Willie in the 60's. Roger and Terry in the 70's. Joe in the 80's.

Gotta go with Brady.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think his comeback against the Falcons cemented his legacy with 5 rings. Losing the Rams SB wouldn't change much for me honestly but his record would still be 5-4. I think the only way his legacy loses some shine is if he finishes 5-6 in SBs and quite a bit would have to happen for NE making it to two more after this one. That is the only thing football wise that I think could possibly hurt him.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady is probably the GOAT. I give as much credit to Belichick as Brady, but I can't hold that against the QB. Too bad the taint of cheating will haunt him. He didn't need to break the rules.

@Coinstartled said:
    Brady is probably the GOAT. I give as much credit to Belichick as Brady, but I can't hold that against the QB. Too bad the taint of cheating will haunt him. He didn't need to break the rules.

It never was proven that he did break the rules. ;)

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

It never was proven that he did break the rules. ;)

It will remain with pine tar in the annals of sporting lore.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think a loss hurts this year. They suck they have no business being in the game . I mean I never believed they were going to get here so the team owes me nothing.

Brady somehow looks different in a suit versus when he's wearing football attire.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we have to realize that no one player can win a game by himself. while a quarterback is the most important player on the field, he cannot play defense or run back kicks or usually kick field goals. there are many facets of the game he does not effect.

now as far as legacy, is it not more impressive to make it to the big game and loose than not make it at all? while Montana and Bradshaw both have unblemished super bowl records, they lost many more times earlier in the playoffs and never even had a shot at those super bowls.

for those who consider a players "record" in championship games/series in figuring their legacy, here are some players most would consider transcendent and how many championships losing teams they were members of.

Jerry West lost 8 championships
    Magic Johnson lost 4
    Kareem lost 4
    Elway lost 3
    Ruth lost 3
    Mantle lost 5

I dont think "loosing" multiple championships has negatively effected any of these players, and I dont think it will effect Brady either.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

GOAT is just forum talk . People only come in here and type things when they literally have not one better thing to do in the real world.

@bronco2078 said:
    GOAT is just forum talk . People only come in here and type things when they literally have not one better thing to do in the real world.

Heard GOAT mentioned on sports radio last night. Seemingly the real world has picked up on the forum nomenclature.

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

Heard GOAT mentioned on sports radio last night. Seemingly the real world has picked up on the forum nomenclature.

You think sports radio is the real world you got problems bro :D

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

Coinstartled would be a huge fan of Felger & Mazz.

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

You are confusing two of your statements. GOAT is not only forum talk.

Real world will be in a couple hours when I pedal my mountain bike in 74 degree desert sunshine!

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

I listen to them :D Felger's perma-trolling is funny but its no reflection of the real world

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

Real world will be in a couple hours when I pedal my mountain bike in 74 degree desert sunshine!

Right but if anything the people who call into sports radio are even more retarded than the idiots in here

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 9:08AM

arbitrarily determining the best of the best is fascinating to me.

on one hand, craig's post definitely has merit; there's something to be said for getting there time and again. but then i take that exact line of thinking and apply it to MJ vs LeBron. there's nothing that could dissuade me from believing that Jordan is still the greatest player the game has ever seen. not even 6 < 9. my reasoning hinges on my own personal recollection of what transpired in the finals. when i watched MJ (and i did a lot), i was just never under the impression that he was going to lose. he had this invincible aura about him. sure enough, when the dust settled on his career there were 6 six glorious trips to the finals, and when he holds up his hands there's a ring on 6 different fingers.

LeBron, on the other hand, has lost 6 times. that's pretty damning in and of itself. moreover (and more importantly), i vividly remember the series against the Dallas Mavericks in 2011 when he ostensibly deferred to Dwyane Wade in many of the series' biggest moments. MJ would never do that, i remember thinking. that would have been the equivalent of Jordan playing Robin to Scottie Pippen when the team needed him most, and the thought of that is just downright comical. but otoh, a mitigating craig44 argument can be made in LBJ's defense: he almost single-handedly dragged some of those Cleveland teams to the finals, and as a result he has 9 total finals appearances in his career. that i totally get and can fully admire and appreciate, but imo it's just not enough when debating the best to ever lace up a pair of high-tops.

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

Right but if anything the people who call into sports radio are even more retarded than the idiots in here

Their spelling is better.

I wonder if Goodell has penciled in any make up calls against the Rams to cover his butt.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

I listen to them :D Felger's perma-trolling is funny but its no reflection of the real world

I can’t stand Felger 🙄

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

I can’t stand Felger 🙄

I don't know if you listen at all but his hot take this year was Brady doesn't care they won't win. This based off the fact that he skipped OTA's like it was so incredibly important. I think the word OTA was used about 10000 times.

The other thing is no one who drafts a RB in the first round is going to win a Superbowl.

So today people were calling to rubhis nose in that it was amusing

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

I can’t stand Felger 🙄

I don't know if you listen at all but his hot take this year was Brady doesn't care they won't win. This based off the fact that he skipped OTA's like it was so incredibly important. I think the word OTA was used about 10000 times.

The other thing is no one who drafts a RB in the first round is going to win a Superbowl.

So today people were calling to rubhis nose in that it was amusing

I rarely get on in the afternoon, but I’m glad people were blasting him. I think he likes to be the “Controversial” guy, a lot of times he is simply just ignorant.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady, his family and Edelman are in Disneyworld, now with 6 rings in his pocket and a net worth of a bazllion $$, does anyone think Brady gives a rip about what we, the press, or anybody else thinks or says? He's a lock for the football HOF, even if he never takes another snap.

The parade crowd will be disappointed not to see him and #11 today.

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Brady, his family and Edelman are in Disneyworld, now with 6 rings in his pocket and a net worth of a bazllion $$, does anyone think Brady gives a rip about what we, the press, or anybody else thinks or says? He's a lock for the football HOF, even if he never takes another snap.

Particularly in the cold weather climates, NFL fans go into a deep, midwinter funk when the season is over. Meanwhile the team heroes pack up their stuff and head to Florida or Arizona or Hawaii for 4 moths on golf and resort living. In all professional sports, I figure that every team has at least one player that would rather skip the post season and call it a year.

Often as fans we have a lot more invested than they do.

@MCMLVTopps said:

I saw the story yesterday about him and Edelman going to Disneyworld.

But I find it hard to believe that he won't be at the parade? He'll be there, or I'd be very surprised.

@MCMLVTopps said:

From what I heard on the radio yesterday it was just Brady & Edelman alone at Disney,Brady's family wasn't a part of that trip and that they should be back to Mass in time for the parade.

Why would anyone ever go to disney ?

@bronco2078 said:
    Why would anyone ever go to disney ?

I don't know! I haven't and never will!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

;)

I went to Disney about 2 years ago, universal studios blows it away. The virtual reality rides are phenomenal

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

if i'm Brady i want 10 SB appearances and more rings than any other franchise

then i'm done

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I went to Disney about 2 years ago, universal studios blows it away. The virtual reality rides are phenomenal

I finally ( live 10 minutes away) went to Universal in Cali this summer. We had a blast.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I think deep down he feels he is the best, I also think he is pretty happy his wife makes big money, Brady has the first dollar he ever made according to some stuff I’ve read over the years. I think he continues to play to amass Championships and stats really

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

9 Super Bowls is unreal, even though he lost 3. Teams have so many personnel changes and parity within the league is real. Very few cupcake games over a 16 game season. Pats should benefit from 12 draft picks in 2019.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 8:36PM

@perkdog said:

My wife used to love Disney. Now she’s a bit disenchanted, but not enough to give up the season passes. The Disney has become “the greediest place on earth.” The prices are outrageous, and you have to make plans so far in advance that any spontaneity is gone. Some rides you can’t get on at all unless you wait two hours or more.

Back in the ‘50s, Walt Disney said he didn’t want his park to become a rip-off like the carnivals. The Disney parks have gone way past that now, but the crowds keep coming, which why they can charge what they do.

Universal is a far better value, and some of the restaurants are even reasonably priced given the quality. The little kids still love Mickey. The bigger kids, and adults will find more to like at Universal. And if you want something special for Christmas, check out Sea World. Their “Oh Holly Night” show is something special.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Tom Brady is not only playing with a huge chip on his shoulders against everyone who doubted him at the NFL draft, but I also have to believe that he's not too happy that his wife is worth twice as much as him.

We're looking at the all time greatest QB in NFL history who probably lives with a great inferiority complex. Some may disagree, but I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Does he go to bed at night thinking he's the greatest, or not even close to being great. I wonder.

Have to disagree with pretty much all that. You think 20 years after he was drafted he still has a huge chip on
    his shoulder that he wasn't drafted higher? He's old, he probably doesn't even remember what year he got drafted.
    And not sure about his wife being worth twice as much as him, but why would having a beautiful, rich wife
    bother anyone? Inferiority complex? Good looking, rich, 6 super bowl wins, beautiful, rich wife. Can do whatever
    he wants, go wherever he wants in the offseason. How can you be so right about Brett being better than Schmidt
    but so off base here?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.