Home Sports Talk

Eagles expected to pick up 20MM option on Foles

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2, 2019 5:46PM in Sports Talk

Eagles to pick up 20MM option.

https://sports.yahoo.com/eagles-expected-pick-end-20-million-mutual-option-nick-foles-214723369.html

The Philadelphia Eagles aren’t ready to say goodbye to their folk hero backup quarterback Nick Foles yet. First they would like some compensation.

According to a report from NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport, the Eagles are expected to pick up their end of a $20 million mutual option for Foles, although they have until Feb. 10 to make that move official. They still remain committed to Carson Wentz under center, so this move allows the Eagles to trade Foles and recoup some sort of return.

Foles has the ability to pay $2 million in previously earned salary to buy his way out of the mutual option, at which point he would become a free agent. The 30-year-old seems likely to do so since he could earn a much bigger pay day in free agency.

However, the Eagles could still franchise tag him, which would give him a one-year salary equal to an average of the top five quarterbacks’ salaries: around $25 million.

No matter how this all plays out, Foles will almost certainly be on a different team with the Eagles getting something in return. If the Eagles do not franchise tag Foles and he signs elsewhere as a free agent, Philadelphia will recoup a compensatory draft pick. But if he ends up signing a contract with Philly, they will work together to find a team for Foles to stick with.

Foles could be the premier quarterback on the market this offseason with a relatively weak quarterback draft class. Other quarterback options through free agency could include veterans Teddy Bridgewater, Ryan Tannehill, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco and Blake Bortles.

The timing of each move will matter greatly, as Eliot Schorr-Parks of 94WIP.com points out. Whenever the Eagles officially pick up their end of the option, Foles will have five days to decide if he’d like to buy out his end. (Fortunately for Foles, he earned a pair of $1 million bonuses to cover the buyout at the end of the season.) If he does, the Eagles would have until March 5 to decide if they’d like to slap him with a franchise tag.

However, if Foles accepts the $20 million salary and the Eagles cannot work out a trade, they can cut him by March 18 without taking on any dead money. It would be very challenging for Philly to carry his large salary though since Over The Cap already lists the Eagles as having minus-$18 million in cap space next season, by far the worst situation in football.

This situation is all too familiar for a division rival of the Eagles. When it seemed clear that Kirk Cousins would not be signing a long-term deal last year after multiple franchise tags, the Washington Redskins let him go in free agency and traded for Alex Smith. The Smith trade cost them a third-round pick and cornerback Kendall Fuller, but they also recouped a compensatory third-round pick for the 2018 draft.

The Eagles appear more bold than Washington, which was unwilling to franchise tag Cousins last offseason. Whether or not they will be able to receive more than the Kansas City Chiefs received for Smith remains to be seen.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

One way or the other, Nick Foles will not be back with the Eagles.

Especially since Carson Wentz is getting ready for a monster season, if he can stay injury free. And if he doesn't, then Nate Sudfeld will have to step in and get the job done.

One minor problem is that Sudfeld is also a free agent. So if the Eagles lose him, they'll be forced to sign some dreck QB in the off season, and probably draft a QB in the later rounds of the upcoming draft.

Whatever happens, it's quite obvious by now that despite his faults in some areas of coaching, Doug Pederson who was a QB in the NFL, is excellent at coaching up QB's and working them into the Eagles system.

So perhaps even if the Eagles are forced to sign a dreck QB as a backup, Pederson could coach him up to play at a winning level if Wentz goes down again.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard a LOT of hype on Wentz. At this point if I was management, I would be wondering if he will EVER play a full season again. He already blew out a knee and now his back is acting up.

Foles seems to be doing a great job and they can't wait to get rid of him?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I've heard a LOT of hype on Wentz. At this point if I was management, I would be wondering if he will EVER play a full season again. He already blew out a knee and now his back is acting up.

I agree man......they are getting rid of the wrong QB. Wentz was never as good as the hype......sorry Steve.

@JoeBanzai said:

The "hype" about Wentz is well deserved. In his second season in the NFL, he was basically a lock to win the MVP until the ACL tear. That's not too shabby a performance.

This season, despite coming back from an ACL tear, Wentz still had pretty good stats.

Yes, his back was acting up towards the end of the season. However Wentz was willing to play thru it. However management figuring the 2018 season was basically over, and considering the ACL tear previously, wisely decided to just shut Wentz down for the season and wait until next season, and it was the smart call.

The bottom line is that Carson Wentz if he stays healthy, is a likely Hall of Fame quarterback. You don't quit on a guy like that. The new rules about protecting quarterbacks, should help a guy like Wentz stay healthy. And the Eagles will of course get him involved in an off season strengthening program to try to prevent future injuries.

Keeping Wentz over Foles is the right call, and it's an easy call. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out.

In any event, Nick Foles playing a full season, simply is not going to lead some marginal NFL team to the promised land, and that's an even easier call.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

The "hype" about Wentz is well deserved. In his second season in the NFL, he was basically a lock to win the MVP until the ACL tear. That's not too shabby a performance.

This season, despite coming back from an ACL tear, Wentz still had pretty good stats.

Yes, his back was acting up towards the end of the season. However Wentz was willing to play thru it. However management figuring the 2018 season was basically over, and considering the ACL tear previously, wisely decided to just shut Wentz down for the season and wait until next season, and it was the smart call.

The bottom line is that Carson Wentz if he stays healthy, is a likely Hall of Fame quarterback. You don't quit on a guy like that. The new rules about protecting quarterbacks, should help a guy like Wentz stay healthy. And the Eagles will of course get him involved in an off season strengthening program to try to prevent future injuries.

Keeping Wentz over Foles is the right call, and it's an easy call. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out.

In any event, Nick Foles playing a full season, simply is not going to lead some marginal NFL team to the promised land, and that's an even easier call.

Lock to win MVP ? Now he's in the hall of fame after 1 full plus 2 partial seasons? :D

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Lock to win MVP ? Now he's in the hall of fame after 1 full plus 2 partial seasons? :D

Up until the time he got hurt in the 2017 season, Wentz was a lock for MVP. Not even debatable.

Wentz has 70 touchdown passes in his first three years in the league. I'm sure that compares favorably with a number of QB's in the Hall of Fame.

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Up until the time he got hurt in the 2017 season, Wentz was a lock for MVP. Not even debatable.

Wentz has 70 touchdown passes in his first three years in the league. I'm sure that compares favorably with a number of QB's in the Hall of Fame.

you would have to assume a Tom Brady injury which didn't happen

you are suggesting the QB with the most TD's is the MVP every year .

@bronco2078 said:

"Everyone" had Wentz as their MVP choice in 2017 before he got hurt. It wasn't even close.

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

"Everyone" had Wentz as their MVP choice in 2017 before he got hurt. It wasn't even close.

Steve , Wentz is ginger that alone disqualifies him.

Jokes aside , you act like winning MVP matters to anyone, , staying on the field is the goal. It's nice if you have his rookie card but its right up there with the pro bowl to most people.

So just to be clear , in the future always choose a QB that might have won a pointless award over a QB that won a superbowl

Foles already led this team to a SB victory. Wentz is a HUGE question mark. I hope he gets healthy and is not the next Sam Bradford.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wentz is washed up with his knee. The Eagles will keep him and end up a non-contender for at least four or five years. That's the way things are when you are an Eagle's fan. :/

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jared Goff: 3

Nick Foles: 41

Philly is about to make a colossal mistake

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goff looked like a deer in the headlights at times tonight.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Man, not a lot of Wentz love in this thread. Bronco, you must admit that his 2017 season before he tore his ACL was remarkable for a second year player. Remember that he also had another tear in that knee when he tore his ACL. Normal recovery time for such an injury is over a year, but he was back on the field in about 10 mos. He just didn't have the same mobility as before, which is not surprising given the type of injury he sustained. He will be fully healed for next season, and we will be able to see if he is as good as we think he is.
    For Foles though I just wonder if you really want to go to a team and start if you have realistically no shot of winning. He is 30, and the only teams who need a starting QB for this year just are not good and will possibly begin their rebuild with a new QB......Jax, Miami and maybe Cinci (with a new coach). Does Denver kick Case Keenum to the curb after 1 year? The Skins are so dysfunctional who knows what they will do. I don't know how this is going to play out.

@JRR300 said:
    Man, not a lot of Wentz love in this thread. Bronco, you must admit that his 2017 season before he tore his ACL was remarkable for a second year player. Remember that he also had another tear in that knee when he tore his ACL. Normal recovery time for such an injury is over a year, but he was back on the field in about 10 mos. He just didn't have the same mobility as before, which is not surprising given the type of injury he sustained. He will be fully healed for next season, and we will be able to see if he is as good as we think he is.
    For Foles though I just wonder if you really want to go to a team and start if you have realistically no shot of winning. He is 30, and the only teams who need a starting QB for this year just are not good and will possibly begin their rebuild with a new QB......Jax, Miami and maybe Cinci (with a new coach). Does Denver kick Case Keenum to the curb after 1 year? The Skins are so dysfunctional who knows what they will do. I don't know how this is going to play out.

His games played are trending down every year. Now 2 injuries to different body parts , whats next a shoulder?

Going in, they know he was going to miss games at the beginning of the season, that was a given. Should have probably missed more at the start. Just not fair to make a statement like that! Team decision to sit him at the end of the season to protect their young QB when it looked like they were going nowhere. Next season will be telling; he'll have fully recovered from the knee injury and be ready for the start of the season.

@JRR300 said:
    Going in, they know he was going to miss games at the beginning of the season, that was a given. Should have probably missed more at the start. Just not fair to make a statement like that! Team decision to sit him at the end of the season to protect their young QB when it looked like they were going nowhere. Next season will be telling; he'll have fully recovered from the knee injury and be ready for the start of the season.

this is real life not a disney movie , no happy ending , I predict that boy is going to be working at wendy's two years from now.

He will have a tough time sweeping the parking lot hobbling around with a cane I don't envy him.

Seeing Wentz fall apart makes me glad the Pats traded Jimmy G , I was against it at the time but he is another eggshell that is doomed to a short career.

So now, are you saying that every QB who gets hurt is done? Aaron Rogers has missed significant time in multiple years as well. I know he's older. Are you saying he's washed up as well? It's a contact sport, so just don't be so fast to write him off after just 3 seasons. Just about all QB's miss time over their careers, and they bounce back. Hell even Brady missed a season.

@JRR300 said:
    So now, are you saying that every QB who gets hurt is done? Aaron Rogers has missed significant time in multiple years as well. I know he's older. Are you saying he's washed up as well? It's a contact sport, so just don't be so fast to write him off after just 3 seasons. Just about all QB's miss time over their careers, and they bounce back. Hell even Brady missed a season.

Nobody wants another Aaron Rogers , he's super talented but he is a friggin tool and those guys always let the team down.

If you are fortunate he's andrew luck. A lot of potential and everyone is still waiting to see if hes going to make it. Now luck was mismanaged by a terrible coach so a lot goes on that idiot. Well his owner is awful too. Two idiots working against him.

But Luck was the only guy , there was no other guy in Indy or he would have been sent packing. There was no "backup" QB walking around with a ring on his finger.

This is the Bellichek way , you ruthlessly cut people loose , throw them to the ground in a heap and stomp over their lifeless body to sign someone else the second they fall off a tick. If after Tom Brady got hurt he was off he would have been cut loose.

I'm ready to cut Brady right now if I hear another word about his stupid avocado ice cream

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why that's being argued. He was the clear and obvious frontrunner before the injury.

<<< This is the Bellichek way , you ruthlessly cut people loose , throw them to the ground in a heap and stomp over their lifeless body to sign someone else the second they fall off a tick. If after Tom Brady got hurt he was off he would have been cut loose. >>>

The guy wins his 6th Super Bowl and the Belichick bashing comes out just a few hours after he wins another one. 🙄

If Bronco was coaching the Patriots back in 2001 and up to today, Drew Bledsoe would still be playing QB and the Patriots would have gone 0-16 this past season. But nobody would question Bronco's loyalty to his players. 🤣

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see Foles get a huge payday.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

With the new rules in the NFL any competent QB can put up good numbers. The Eagles sat Wentz because with him they thought their season was over, without him they managed to go on a winning streak and make the playoffs. That says pretty much everything you need to know.

I think Wentz will have some good season and put up some good stats but he has been too fragile. All the young QBs now put themselves into positions where they take too many hits. Wentz so far doesn't seem like his body can handle it.

The 2017 MVP race was debatable even when Wentz was healthy. Brady and Wentz were neck and neck. After 12 games Brady had the following stat line - Regular-season passing: 300-for-438 (68.5 percent); 3,632 yards; 26 TDs; 4 INT; 74.1 Total QBR and Wentz had this one - 242-for-399 (60.7 percent); 3,005 yards; 29 TDs; 6 INT; 73.6 Total QBR. Both were 10-2. ESPN had Brady as the favorite over Wentz at that point so don't rewrite history.

Robb

@fergie23 said:
    With the new rules in the NFL any competent QB can put up good numbers. The Eagles sat Wentz because with him they thought their season was over, without him they managed to go on a winning streak and make the playoffs. That says pretty much everything you need to know.

I think Wentz will have some good season and put up some good stats but he has been too fragile. All the young QBs now put themselves into positions where they take too many hits. Wentz so far doesn't seem like his body can handle it.

The 2017 MVP race was debatable even when Wentz was healthy. Brady and Wentz were neck and neck. After 12 games Brady had the following stat line - Regular-season passing: 300-for-438 (68.5 percent); 3,632 yards; 26 TDs; 4 INT; 74.1 Total QBR and Wentz had this one - 242-for-399 (60.7 percent); 3,005 yards; 29 TDs; 6 INT; 73.6 Total QBR. Both were 10-2. ESPN had Brady as the favorite over Wentz at that point so don't rewrite history.

Robb

Yea...ESPN pundits...the bastion of sports intelligence. 🤣

@stevek said:
    <<< This is the Bellichek way , you ruthlessly cut people loose , throw them to the ground in a heap and stomp over their lifeless body to sign someone else the second they fall off a tick. If after Tom Brady got hurt he was off he would have been cut loose. >>>

The guy wins his 6th Super Bowl and the Belichick bashing comes out just a few hours after he wins another one. 🙄

If Bronco was coaching the Patriots back in 2001 and up to today, Drew Bledsoe would still be playing QB and the Patriots would have gone 0-16 this past season. But nobody would question Bronco's loyalty to his players. 🤣

You love Bill but you don't want him running your team. Bill keeps foles and cuts wentz. He would have moved on and Foles would be the starter or he would have pitted the two of them against each other and made wentz cry like a little girl.

TD's and yards are stats that matter to fantasy football not real football. MVP of the regular season and 3 bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

Buy madden and make a dream team full of pretend stars and wentz can be the pretend qb :# Live in a video game bubble of make pretend land where time doesn't pass and your favorite players are always the starter.

I am not ripping Wentz. He has a lot of talent. Seems to me some guys get hurt and some not so much. Foles was good enough to lead them to a SB victory.

Players are not often the same after a severe knee injury and back problems can be even worse. I certainly hope Wentz can make a healthy return to playing!

If I had to choose one of these guys, I would stick with Foles. If Wentz cannot get healthy you go from 2 talented QB's on the roster to none.

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

You love Bill but you don't want him running your team. Bill keeps foles and cuts wentz. He would have moved on and Foles would be the starter or he would have pitted the two of them against each other and made wentz cry like a little girl.

TD's and yards are stats that matter to fantasy football not real football. MVP of the regular season and 3 bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

Buy madden and make a dream team full of pretend stars and wentz can be the pretend qb :# Live in a video game bubble of make pretend land where time doesn't pass and your favorite players are always the starter.

Belichick would keep Wentz in the same manner that he kept Brady, after Brady tore his ACL. Simply because Carson Wentz gives the Eagles a much MUCH better chance to win a Super Bowl in a full season over Nick Foles.

Do you really think that Nick Foles wins the 2017 season Super Bowl without Wentz handing off to him an 11-2 record and home field advantage in the playoffs? That's not Madden pretend.

If Foles would have started the 2017 season, the Eagles would almost certainly not have participated in that season's Super Bowl, and likely not even in the playoffs.

Nick Foles is not a QB who is going to have a consistent performance over 16 games. It's simply not going to happen. He's a proven season reliever, but he will be an unsuccessful 16 game season starter, in my opinion.

In any event, after the 2019 NFL season, we shall see who is right.

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

Belichick would keep Wentz in the same manner that he kept Brady, after Brady tore his ACL. Simply because Carson Wentz gives the Eagles a much MUCH better chance to win a Super Bowl in a full season over Nick Foles.

Do you really think that Nick Foles wins the 2017 season Super Bowl without Wentz handing off to him an 11-2 record and home field advantage in the playoffs? That's not Madden pretend.

If Foles would have started the 2017 season, the Eagles would almost certainly not have participated in that season's Super Bowl, and likely not even in the playoffs.

Nick Foles is not a QB who is going to have a consistent performance over 16 games. It's simply not going to happen. He's a proven season reliever, but he will be an unsuccessful 16 game season starter, in my opinion.

In any event, after the 2019 NFL season, we shall see who is right.

Brady had won 3 super bowls at that point. Wentz is at 0 which doesn't buy you any leeway. Plus Brady was tough , no one says tough when discussing wentz.

True but so what? What has he done for the team when it counted ? Fole-ded like a cheap suit.

He has played 1 full and 2 partial seasons and you already voted him into the hall of fame, a perfect example of why hall of fame voting is a sham.

He almost coulda won some trophy ? no one cares about those trophys , individual awards mean nothing in a team game.

Give up Bronk! Steve likes Wentz and will until Wentz lets him down. And that is fine and his choice. I am about to the same point with Prescott. Yes, and number wise Prescott is as good or better than Wentz....so far.

@DIMEMAN said:
    Give up Bronk! Steve likes Wentz and will until Wentz lets him down. And that is fine and his choice. I am about to the same point with Prescott. Yes, and number wise Prescott is as good or better than Wentz....so far.

I won't quit on Wentz unless he quits on himself.

And thus far, Wentz has given no indication whatsoever that he has quit on himself. The guy has heart and he continued to take hits and scramble this past season despite tearing his ACL the previous season. His footwork and timing was a little bit off which resulted in a sub par Carson Wentz type of season. However despite all that, he still played better than most starting QB's out there.

Carson Wentz is heads and tails better than Nick Foles, it's really not even debatable. The only question remaining is can Wentz stay injury free? Nobody can answer that precisely. However in my opinion, I believe he can. Frankly, i'm thinking Eagles 2019 season Super Bowl champs, and it's not a far fetched thought by any stretch of the imagination.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

And thus far, Wentz has given no indication whatsoever that he has quit on himself. The guy has heart and he continued to take hits and scramble this past season despite tearing his ACL the previous season. His footwork and timing was a little bit off which resulted in a sub par Carson Wentz type of season. However despite all that, he still played better than most starting QB's out there.

Carson Wentz is heads and tails better than Nick Foles, it's really not even debatable. The only question remaining is can Wentz stay injury free? Nobody can answer that precisely. However in my opinion, I believe he can. Frankly, i'm thinking Eagles 2019 season Super Bowl champs, and it's not a far fetched thought by any stretch of the imagination.

You are a true fan Steve...….which is fine and the way it should be.

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

As Don West would say, "Buy all the Carson Wentz rookie cards you can. BUY ALL THE CARSON WENTZ ROOKIE CARDS YOU CAN." :)

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

As Don West would say, "Buy all the Carson Wentz rookie cards you can. BUY ALL THE CARSON WENTZ ROOKIE CARDS YOU CAN." :)

I would rather have Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman and Tom Brady cards. I actually have a bunch of Cowboy cards from Roger's days, So I probably have his. I also have a Dick Buckus card.

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I would rather have Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman and Tom Brady cards. I actually have a bunch of Cowboy cards from Roger's days, So I probably have his. I also have a Dick Buckus card.

<<< Dick Buckus card >>>

You're very fortunate. That's an extremely rare and valuable name misprint Dick Butkus card which if I'm remembering right sold for 98.6 million dollars at auction a few years ago. It was reported the card seller was a little bit disappointed that it didn't reach the 100 million dollar mark.

Now the truth comes out

Never mortgage your home to buy rookie cards
    -Abraham Lincoln

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

<<< Dick Buckus card >>>

You're very fortunate. That's an extremely rare and valuable name misprint Dick Butkus card which if I'm remembering right sold for 98.6 million dollars at auction a few years ago. It was reported the card seller was a little bit disappointed that it didn't reach the 100 million dollar mark.

HeHeHe just keep on making fun of the forum speling bea chump!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I will get absolutely no pleasure in watching Nick Foles struggle with the jaguars, but I'm afraid that's exactly what will happen. :/

@stevek said:

I will get absolutely no pleasure in watching Nick Foles struggle with the jaguars, but I'm afraid that's exactly what will happen. :/

the defense is ok and they have a running game

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

the defense is ok and they have a running game

Hopefully under those circumstances, Foles can be a serviceable quarterback for the entire season.

Who are their WR's? They had two decent ones they traded away. Dede Wetsbrook? Can't remember another.
    Foles excelled on the RPO's but I don't know if Jacksonville will revise their offense to suit his strengths. Whatever happens, Nick we wish you the best (except when playing the EAGLES) and hope you have a successful career. You'll always have a home here in Philly.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Foles is just a red headed stepchild nobody wants lol. The Jaguars will be upgrading over Bortles but will still probably not make the playoffs.

It will be interesting!

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Taking over for Blake Bortles. Mighty big shoes to fill!

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷