Home Sports Talk

Patriots star Rob Gronkowski's suggestive remark to female reporter draws backlash

stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/new-england-patriots-rob-gronkowski-receives-backlash-over-sexually-suggestive-remark-at-female-reporter

Patriots star Rob Gronkowski's suggestive remark to female reporter draws backlash

New England Patriots star Rob Gronkowski drew backlash Tuesday after making a sexually suggestive remark to a female reporter during Super Bowl Media Day.

Gronkowski, 29, was asked what were the chances he would return next season after playing in Sunday's Super Bowl LIII against the Los Angeles Rams.

I'll never be a fan of the Patriots or even a fan of the city of Boston for that matter. I mean i don't even know what Boston has ever done, except I'll admit they make some fine tasting baked beans which occasionally I buy at the supermarket. I like the tangy ones the best. So kudos to Boston for their flavorful baked beans.

However as a football fan, ya gotta like this Patriots team that the greatest NFL head football coach of all time, Bill Belichick, has put together. Not only do they win football games and championships, but have a number of colorful character players as well.

Tom Brady we all know about. Nothing but a class act all the way...supermodel wife, exemplary character, admirable lifestyle. Simply a pillar of society inside and outside of football.

Next there is Julian Edelman. A football player's football player. He's not even close to being the best athlete out there, but he's tough, gritty, and determined to do whatever it takes to help his team win.

Now we come to the player from the article, Rob Gronkowski. The snowflakes in the media don't like him. Also the cupcakes who don't approve of the game of football don't like him. And the elitist snobs of society don't like him because he is offensive to them.

Getting to the article, a deadhead reporter asks Gronk just days before the Super Bowl when players want to be totally focused only on the upcoming game, about "what were the chances he would return next season."

Gronk gave the profane answer that the inane reporter deserved.

So while I'll never be a fan of Boston or their teams, it's tough not to like and be a fan of these great character players. They're football players, not choir boys.

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's a complete dumbass and hopefully he's apologized by now. The joke was in bad taste but I'm sure there will be plenty of faux outrage over this.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would anyone ask a professional athlete getting ready to play in the biggest game of the year a question like "what is you favorite number"???

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a dumb ass answer. It’s not remotely funny. What’s he like 11 years old?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea I agree, Gronk should apologize.....

.....to all the snowflakes, cupcakes, and elitists out there who thought a member of the Boston Tabernacle Choir was being interviewed. 🤣

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just all around stupidity

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Yes he is basically 11 but I'd like to see more jokes like this and most importantly more outrage. Calls for his suspension forced retirement , maybe remove the pats from the superbowl :D

@Justacommeman said:

m

Of course it was...and that's what made it fun.

If the reporters simply ask pertinent questions, they'll receive better answers. The reporter threw out some bait, Gronk snapped at it, and a media snowflake got bitten. 🤣

@Hallco said:
    Why would anyone ask a professional athlete getting ready to play in the biggest game of the year a question like "what is you favorite number"???

Its media week at the SB which means get ready for all of the dumbest questions imaginable. Gronk should have stuck with #87.

edited January 30, 2019 7:15AM

If something like that is fun to you I’ll let you borrow my 9 and 11 year old nephews for the weekend. They have a lot of fart jokes too. Don’t fall for the pulling Max’s finger prank

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Hallco said:

The primary thoughts going thru every professional football player's mind are football, eating, and fornicating. So why should some folks be aghast when Gronk chose the latter thought to illustrate his disdain for the silly question? 🤣

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

nothing surprises me after that tide commercial

you talk about cringeworthy

phenomenal TE career but he comes across as one of the dumbest people alive

@Justacommeman said:
    If something like that is fun to you I’ll let you borrow my 9 and 11 year old nephews for the weekend. They have a lot of fart jokes too. Don’t fall for the pulling Max’s finger prank

m

It was fun seeing the snowflake reporter get owned. I enjoyed it.

Frankly, correct manners shouldn't always be in play when it comes to football. Even bad manners can be excused in certain situations such as this one.

Gronk, you're officially excused.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 7:38AM

He was just trying to teach kids math, why the outrage?

https://youtu.be/vZuFq4CfRR8

edited January 30, 2019 7:31AM

@galaxy27 said:
    nothing surprises me after that tide commercial

you talk about cringeworthy

phenomenal TE career but he comes across as one of the dumbest people alive

Tide commercials. Yes, if nothing else proves that he is walking around with a concussion nothing will.

As far as the interview goes she could of asked that question to all of the Rams and Pats as well as the coaching staffs and no one gives that as an answer. Dumbo

m

http://money.com/money/5367980/rob-gronkowski-money-patriots-nfl-contract/

NFL Star Rob Gronkowski Is a Genius for What He Does With His $54 Million Pay

Rob Gronkowski, the superstar tight end for the NFL’s New England Patriots, earned $10.5 million last season, including a $2.5 million bonus for being named an All-Pro — the fifth time in his career that “Gronk” has achieved the honor.

But Gronkowski hasn’t spent a penny of his contract money from last season. In fact, he says he hasn’t touched any of his career NFL earnings, including the six-year $54 million contract he signed in 2012.

Gronkowski is perceived as a bit of a lovable knucklehead — he was lampooned as the hulking dimwit “Bonkowski” in a memorable episode of “The Simpsons” — but he is savvy with money and incredibly careful about how he spends it. In his 2015 memoir, It’s Good to Be Gronk, Gronkowski revealed that he hadn’t “touched one dime of my signing bonus or NFL contract money.” Instead, he wrote, “I live off my marketing money and haven’t blown it on any big-money expensive cars, expensive jewelry or tattoos and still wear my favorite pair of jeans from high school.”

Perhaps Gronkowski is a bit smarter than the Gronk bashers perceive him to be?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

next time i engage in six times nine plus six plus nine i'm going to play that jimi hendrix song

Gronk is definitely a smart guy, he has gotten by with the loveable child like fun theme for years.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-rob-gronkowski-goes-nuts-after-his-horses-stunning-finish-at-belmont-stakes/

Rob Gronkowski goes nuts after his horse’s stunning finish at Belmont Stakes

Rob Gronkowski's horse didn't win the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, but Gronk still went home a winner after a wild day where he watched Gronk the horse pull off a stunning comeback to finish in second place behind Triple Crown winner Justify.

The day at Belmont Park had everything Gronk could ever want out of a horse race: He won money, his horse shocked everyone and he got to make all the 69 jokes he could think of.

All of those things were only possible because Gronkowski the horse pulled off an amazing comeback over the final mile in the 1.5-. mile race at Belmont Park. As the 10 horses in the race crossed the one-quarter mile mark, it looked like Gronk the horse was going to finish in dead last.

I criticized Gronkowski mercilessly in this forum for what appeared to be a total waste of money...buying and entering this horse in the Belmont Stakes. Virtually every, if not every knowledgeable person about thoroughbred horse racing fully agreed with that assessment.

Turns out his horse most amazingly, stunningly, finished second in the Belmont Stakes which most thoroughbred horse owners dream for their horse to be able to do that.

I'm not saying that Gronk doesn't display bad manners at times, or that he won't ever incur a bad business investment. However considering what he has accomplished in football, his money savings acumen, his choice of this particular horse, and all the money he has earned in various ways, referring to him as "dumb" is certainly an incorrect description of Rob Gronkowski.

edited January 30, 2019 9:43AM

Another thing that is not mentioned is the guy is still in his 20’s, I think he has a pretty good track record for not behaving too badly

@perkdog said:
    Another thing that is not mentioned is the guy is still in his 20’s, I think he has a pretty good track record for not behaving too badly

Considering the wife and girl friend beaters, etc, in the NFL, I totally agree with ya!

Hey, i understand the other viewpoints on this. But to me the NFL is about entertainment and should be fun. I don't think there's any question that Gronk overall makes the NFL more entertaining and fun to watch.

Sort of like Joe Namath and others over the years who crossed the line with bad manners in some situations. So what? It's not debatable that Joe was good for the game of football and so is Gronk.

I now love outrage . It really ramped up about 2016 , for some reason and now its the only thing in the world and it delivers so much amusement

@bronco2078 said:
    I now love outrage . It really ramped up about 2016 , for some reason and now its the only thing in the world and it delivers so much amusement

100% Agreed! 😂😂😂

edited January 30, 2019 11:57AM

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Considering the wife and girl friend beaters, etc, in the NFL, I totally agree with ya!

Hey, i understand the other viewpoints on this. But to me the NFL is about entertainment and should be fun. I don't think there's any question that Gronk overall makes the NFL more entertaining and fun to watch.

Sort of like Joe Namath and others over the years who crossed the line with bad manners in some situations. So what? It's not debatable that Joe was good for the game of football and so is Gronk.

I know I’ve said far worse as a 40 year old, difference is I wasn’t on a stage 😂. Regardless who it offended and I agree it wasn’t smart on Gronks part, it was actually stupid knowing how things are with the media and the ultra thin Skin society in America but honestly I think it’s ridiculous for anyone to get offended by that comment when it comes down to it

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many hits to the noggin.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@bronco2078 said:

The more I think about this the more I’m starting to think that this might be my all time favorite CU post EVER 👍😂

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

The more I think about this the more I’m starting to think that this might be my all time favorite CU post EVER 👍😂

Okay fine, but considering that I started the thread which led to this all time favorite CU post, when the nominees for CU Sports Talk GOAT poster comes up, I don't expect to win or even finish in the top 500, however i do expect now to at least be nominated.

Or if not nominated, perhaps receive a participation trophy. 🏆

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 4:23PM

One of the great errors in professional sports is the 2 week gap between the conference finals and the Super bowl. Truly a stupid couple weeks. This is the dreck stuff that comes out of it.

I think Gronk did take it too far by singling out this reporter,had he just made a joke about the number 69 itself no one would have cared like what happened when he caught his 69th career TD. After that game he got all goofy about it by making a few 69 jokes during the postgame interviews and nobody batted an eye when he said it.

@Coinstartled said:
    One of the great errors in professional sports is the 2 week gap between the conference finals and the Super bowl. Truly a stupid couple weeks. This is the dreck stuff that comes out of it.

The NFL had only a one week "gap" between the games for a few seasons a number of years ago. Then they switched it back to two weeks.

I agree with the NFL that two weeks is better.

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

The NFL had only a one week "gap" between the games for a few seasons a number of years ago. Then they switched it back to two weeks.

Why?

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Why?

Needed rest and to build it up to a pitch fever,,,,,,maybe.

Sure, like dumb Gronk comments. The stretch is too long.

@Coinstartled said:

It was a dumb question to start with. Kay Sara Sara !

@Coinstartled said:

I feel like for one of the Pats superbowls in the early 2000's they tried a one week break for a year or two then went back to two weeks

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

Who's Kay and Sara and what do they have to do with anything?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Make it Easter Sunday next year so they can play at Lambeau.

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

I feel like for one of the Pats superbowls in the early 2000's they tried a one week break for a year or two then went back to two weeks

I think it was the 2001 SB that was just one week.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

another case of someone not wanting to "own responsibility" for their actions.

I tend to be pretty open-minded, but having female reporters involved in these things is part of the problem. do they let them in the locker room?? if whoever that woman was can't handle the heat that comes with testosterone then she should stay in the kitchen.

also, anyone who asks stupid questions like she did, man or woman, should just be told to STFU until they can think of something intelligent to ask. it was a stupid question and maybe SHE should own that and apologize.

@keets said:
    another case of someone not wanting to "own responsibility" for their actions.

I tend to be pretty open-minded, but having female reporters involved in these things is part of the problem. do they let them in the locker room?? if whoever that woman was can't handle the heat that comes with testosterone then she should stay in the kitchen.

also, anyone who asks stupid questions like she did, man or woman, should just be told to STFU until they can think of something intelligent to ask. it was a stupid question and maybe SHE should own that and apologize.

keets….we actually agree on something 100%!

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

Kay, Sara, and Sara are the names of three of the Mets best players for the upcoming baseball season.

Might as well start the baseball smack early. ;)

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

Kay, Sara, and Sara are the names of three of the Mets best players for the upcoming baseball season.

I sense an avatar bet coming up this season~Mets fans are very confident in january, ya know, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

I sense an avatar bet coming up this season~Mets fans are very confident in january, ya know, LOL..

If we do that, and if the Phillies sign Bryce Harper, I foresee the distinct possibility of a Bryce Harper pic in the avatar of Grote15. ;)

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

If the reporters simply ask pertinent questions, they'll receive better answers. The reporter threw out some bait, Gronk snapped at it, and a media snowflake got bitten. 🤣

The way it reads to me, he said it to a reporter who didn't ask the question.

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

The way it reads to me, he said it to a reporter who didn't ask the question.

That's the way I read it as well. But you should understand that the best way to get under a guy's skin and tick him off the most is not to insult him directly, but to insult his female family member or say a female he is associated with such a fellow news reporter.

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Okay fine, but considering that I started the thread which led to this all time favorite CU post, when the nominees for CU Sports Talk GOAT poster comes up, I don't expect to win or even finish in the top 500, however i do expect now to at least be nominated.

Nomination sent your way 😂

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Nomination sent your way 😂

Tears of overwhelming joy. 😭

Even my cat, Fluffy, is ecstatic. 😹

We have two weeks to kill lets ask every single player if they are going to retire after the game. Even the rookies