Home Sports Talk

has anyone ever witnessed (in the flesh) a no-hit job or, even better & rarer, a perfecto?

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

have always wanted to, but to no avail.

if you're a fortunate soul, share the game.......anecdotes......artifacts (e.g. tick stub)........anything you desire

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019 9:03PM

1973 saw Ryan no hit the Tigers at Tiger Stadium as a youngster with my parents. He had 17k’s. It was the game where Norm Cash went up to bat in the 9th with a table leg.

My parents always took me to helmet day and or hat day. I can’t remember which one it was but it was indeed a giveaway day and the Stadium was jammed. We also went to all the bat days.

My Mom always kept score. I’m sure there is a program somewhere amongst her stuff. My Dad is still alive. If I was a brave man I would look through her stuff next time I’m in Michigan. I remember my Dad bitched the whole game about the Tigers bats. He actually wanted to leave in 8th to beat traffic. Dads

m

Home plate umpire Ron Luciano almost fell overboard laughing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WEboSkPUgUo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Je8tttn017Q

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at Nolan Ryan's seventh no-hitter. I was sitting in the first row next to the Rangers' bullpen down the first base line.

During his warm-up in the bull pen, it was something else! He was just feet from me, and the ball of course was just pounding the catcher's glove; it sounded like fire crackers going off.

I remember about the third inning, I, and the people around me, started noticing and remarking about how Nolan hadn't given up any hits, and talking about the possibility of him pitching another no-hitter. I remember one guy in particular, he and I were hi-fiving each other for several innings!

Then of course, in the ninth inning, everyone was standing and yelling, and you couldn't even think. I was in a daze, probably for the last 2-3 innings, due to all the excitement.

I was also at a game in San Diego, I think in 1982, when Nolan pitched a one-hitter. The only hit was a seeing-eye grounder by Tim Flannery, past Billy Doran at second base, in either the second or third inning. I have the scorebook somewhere, where I kept score of the game, and later had Nolan and Tim Flannery sign it.

I don't remember if I started keeping score of the seventh no-hitter, but the game was so exciting and incredible, and my heart was going crazy during it, that if I was keeping score, I had to stop.

Steve

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing I forgot to mention above, is that where I was sitting, was between Nolan and the catcher, probably between 10 and 20 feet from Ryan. I watched every single pitch he threw in the bullpen, and the thing I remember most is the buzz of the ball as it went by me.

Steve

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019 3:29AM

I was at this game, rarer than a no hitter. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXJuw4Rd0ck

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

My Mom always kept score. I’m sure there is a program somewhere amongst her stuff. My Dad is still alive. If I was a brave man I would look through her stuff next time I’m in Michigan. I remember my Dad bitched the whole game about the Tigers bats. He actually wanted to leave in 8th to beat traffic. Dads

My grandmother used to do this for every game. She lived up in Tamworth NH they were lucky to get 3 TV stations she never missed a game if it was coming in. If the TV didn't come in she would listen on the radio.

She had a legal pad and she would sit there and score the games. Nobody does this anymore , people click a mouse and stare at a cellphone like zombies and someone does everything for them.

That kind of fan is disappearing for all sports and will never return.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I legit almost forgot about people keeping score during baseball games, without question that is long ago come and gone

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I was at this game, rarer than a no hitter. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXJuw4Rd0ck

I was at the game against the White Sox where John Valentin hit for the cycle and Tim Naehring hit into a triple play.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

I was at Fernando Valenzuela's no-hitter against the Cardinals. About 1991. It was scary as ex-Dodger Pedro Guerero came up in the 9th so we were sure he would break it up. My recollection is he hit into a double play to end it. On the same night ex-Dodger Dave Stewart (I think it was) through a no hitter also. Probably with the A's then though I don't recall for sure.

I also was at a no-hitter June 25, 1999 at (then called) Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix. Cardinals v. D-backs. I don't remember the name of the guy but I met my wife at that game so it was a good night!

Almost more exciting was Ramon Martinez getting about 18 or 19 strikeouts one night. Stadium was more electric that night than the no-hitter night from my perspective.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not in the flesh. Only on TV.

The only perfect game I’ve seen on the tube was on Father’s Day 1964 when Jim Bunting of the Phillies pitched a perfect game against the Mets.

Believe it or not there is no complete video record of Don Larson’s perfect World Series game. The camera man turned off the recorder half way through the game because it was customary to not to record “the boring stuff” in the middle of the game.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

I was at Roy Halladay's no hitter in the playoffs against the Reds. I also saw an opposing pitcher throw a no hitter against the hometown Phillies at Connie Mack; I think it was Bill Stoneman for the Expos. I was a youngster back then and didn't realize how rare it was to witness a no hitter and was so upset that the hometown team went the entire game without a hit

And my father used to keep score every game...even when he watched it at home on TV.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 5:13PM

@BillJones said:
    Not in the flesh. Only on TV.

The only perfect game I’ve seen on the tube was on Father’s Day 1964 when Jim Bunting of the Phillies pitched a perfect game against the Mets.

Believe it or not there is no complete video record of Don Larson’s perfect World Series game. The camera man turned off the recorder half way through the game because it was customary to not to record “the boring stuff” in the middle of the game.

Jim Bunning was my Dads favorite pitcher. He was the second pitcher im MLB to toss no hitters in both leagues.When he retired he was second on the all-time K list

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I was lucky enough to meet Jim Bunning at one of the Phillies wall of fame reunions at CBP...a real gentleman. Took the time to walk over and say hello to my son (10 yrs old at the time) who was too shy to walk over with me. And I do remember watching that game. With both my mom and dad watching the small grainy pictured, black and white TV in the living room. Also remember watching Roy Halladay's perfect game against the Marlins. We were out at a party and the hockey playoffs were on TV at the party. A friend had called me to ask if I was watching as Roy had just retired the side in the 6h inning. At that point one of my neighbors and I sneaked out of the party and went to his house (around the corner) to watch the end of that perfect game.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

What I'm curious about is if there's ever been a super perfect game at any organized level...where every batter is struck out.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw Walter Johnson pitch a no-hitter against the Red Sox on July 1st, 1920. I remember it like yesterday. It was a hot day, I was just a wee lad. I had run all over town collecting bottles to turn in so I could make a nickel to get into the game. It was a close game throughout but the Senators held on to win 1-0 behind the Big Train's gem. Man, what an experience that was!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at Chris Heston’s no hitter against the Mets in 2015. Can’t say I enjoyed it very much, with my chiropractor the Giants fan going crazy. 🙄

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Estil said:
    What I'm curious about is if there's ever been a super perfect game at any organized level...where every batter is struck out.

Has been done in amateur ball, I am 99% certain. Ron Necciai came closest in the pros. D League game, no-hitter, 27 strikeouts, but a handful of baserunners.

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    I saw Walter Johnson pitch a no-hitter against the Red Sox on July 1st, 1920. I remember it like yesterday. It was a hot day, I was just a wee lad. I had run all over town collecting bottles to turn in so I could make a nickel to get into the game. It was a close game throughout but the Senators held on to win 1-0 behind the Big Train's gem. Man, what an experience that was!

Are you serious?? You'd have to be over 100 years old for that to even be possible!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Estil said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

Are you serious?? You'd have to be over 100 years old for that to even be possible!

Yeah, it was in a past life though. Not sure if that counts??

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Nope.

WISHLIST
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen a number on TV while they were happening.

Many years ago I used to umpire.
    I did one game behind the plate and the pitcher not only threw a no hitter. A perfect game
    but all the outs were strikeouts. Maybe 2-3 foul balls at most.

Never saw anything like it since.. What a combo of power and control.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets