Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just Announced: Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins PCGS Special Label

HeatherBoydHeatherBoyd Posts: 406 admin
edited February 14, 2019 2:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

DRUMROLL PLEASE~

Official Press Release:

Astronauts Memorial Foundation Honors the Past and Inspires the Future with PCGS Apollo 11 Coin Holder

(Santa Ana, California) January 17, 2019 – The Astronauts Memorial Foundation (www.amfcse.org), a nonprofit organization that honors and memorializes those astronauts who have sacrificed their lives for the nation and the space program by sponsoring the Space Mirror Memorial, and by implementing innovative educational technology programs, has selected Professional Coin Grading Service (www.PCGS.com) to create a special label to celebrate the launch of the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins.

PCGS has prepared special inserts featuring the AMF logo juxtaposed against the sun rising behind the earth. These commemorative coins will also receive the First Strike® designation, when eligible, and Apollo 11 50th Anniversary pedigree. The new Apollo 11 commemorative coins, and other specified U.S. and world coins will be eligible to receive the AMF label.

A portion of the proceeds received by PCGS from submitters for the grading and encapsulation of the coins commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the first moon landing will be donated directly to the Astronauts Memorial Foundation. AMF, which is based at the John F. Kennedy Space Center in Florida, was founded in the wake of the Space Shuttle Challenger accident in 1986. AMF is the proud sponsor of the 42-foot high by 50-foot wide polished granite monument known as the Space Mirror Memorial. The National Memorial, also located at the John F. Kennedy Space Center on Merritt Island, Florida, glows with the names of astronauts who have given their lives in the line of duty.

“The Astronauts Memorial Foundation is excited about partnering with PCGS on the grading and encapsulation of these historic Apollo Commemorative Coins. We chose to work with PCGS due to their high-regard in the numismatic community and the safety, security, and aesthetics of the PCGS holder,” said Thad Altman, President and CEO of AMF, “AMF’s mission is to memorialize the twenty-four astronauts who have lost their lives in the pursuit of space exploration and to educate future generations to become the explorers of tomorrow, we feel that this special label, with the added benefit of being available to coins beyond just the 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins, will help to further honor our fallen heroes.”

AMF funds the Center for Space Education in Florida where students, teachers, and mentors experience building rockets, robotic competitions and other hands-on learning activities. AMF also partners with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to provide technology training to educators throughout the nation with a particular emphasis on space-related technology.

“PCGS is pleased to partner with the Astronauts Memorial Foundation and help support AMF’s mission to inspire future generations of scientists, engineers, and mathematicians through their many programs and outreach activities. This is a perfect way for the hobby to pay tribute and memorialize the 1969 Apollo 11 mission and the United States Mint’s 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins,” said PCGS President Brett Charville.

On January 24, the U.S. Mint will begin sales of four different Apollo 11 coins: A Clad Half Dollar, Silver Dollar, $5 denomination gold coin and a Five-ounce Proof Silver Dollar.

Prices for the coins include surcharges of $35 for each gold coin, $10 for each Silver Dollar, $5 for each Clad Half Dollar, and $50 for each Five-ounce Proof Silver Dollar. Under federal legislation authorizing the coins, the surcharges will be divided as follows: one-half to the Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum’s “Destination Moon” exhibit, one-quarter to the Astronauts Memorial Foundation, and one-quarter to the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation.

“In addition to the mandated surcharges, we will donate 50% of the $18 label fee from encapsulation of all Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives and other qualifying coins that receive the special insert,” explained Charville.

• The following coins will qualify for this special label and pedigree;
o 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary $5 Gold Coin
o 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary $1 Silver Dollar
o 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Clad Half Dollar
o 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Five Ounce Proof Silver Dollar

• Additionally, the AMF label can be used for the following coins:
o 2019 Native American $1 Coins in all finishes
o 2004 Florida “Gateway to Discovery” State Quarters
o All U.S. Kennedy Half Dollar Coins (including all mint state, proof, specimen, and commemorative versions in all metals)
o All U.S. Eisenhower $1 Coins
o All American Eagle Coins (including all mint state, proof, specimen in all metals, and denominations)
o 2019 Pobjoy Mint / Ascension Island Apollo Coins
o 2019 Royal Australian Mint Apollo Coins

Full submission guidelines are available here: https://pcgs.com/labels

The PCGS Set Registry® will be hosting a new set for coins featuring the special Apollo 11 50th Anniversary label featuring all of the above coins.

Since its founding in 1986, PCGS experts have certified over 40 million coins from over 100 different counties with a total market value of over $34.5 billion. For information about PCGS products and services, including how to submit your coins for authentication and grading, visit www.PCGS.com or call PCGS Customer Service at (800) 447-8848.

The Official Release is also available here: https://www.pcgs.com/news/astronauts-memorial-foundation-honors-the-past

All Apollo Commemorative Coins MUST be submitted in original mint packaging or original coin capsules

Heather Boyd
PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool holder.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 4:39PM

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd Is there a pic to see of the oversized holder for the 5 oz puck?

• SteveGSteveG Posts: 20 ✭✭

Very Nice!

SteveG

SLABOHOLIC
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! Ground control to Major Tom, you've got to see this...

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool beans. This will be my first mint purchase since the 2015 March of Dimes Roosies!

• @Hemispherical said:
    @HeatherBoyd Is there a pic to see of the oversized holder for the 5 oz puck?

Hold tight I will get one for you!

Heather Boyd

edited January 18, 2019 3:47PM

@Onastone said:
    Excellent! Ground control to Major Tom, you've got to see this...

“A revised version of David Bowie's Space Oddity, recorded by Commander Chris Hadfield on board the International Space Station.”
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo

I enjoyed this very much!!! Thanks for finding and posting @Hemispherical

@HeatherBoyd said:
    Let us know what you think!

I like it and will await the dimensions... need to figure out a storage solution.

A suggestion for the label. Add the fineness after “5 oz”, example: “5 oz 99.9%” or something similar.

Reason: Since Apollo puck is reeded, unlike the ATB pucks, there appears to be no weight or fineness indicators anywhere on the coin.

Thank you for the spoiler preview!

These holders must be huge! To house the 5 oz coin and thickness of a curved one as well. Yes, thanks for the preview!!

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the diameter the same on these Apollo Coins as on other 5 oz Pucks?

GrandAm :)
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Week done, Heather and PCGS. I like the tasteful presentation for this cool coin.
    I am looking forward to having a few 70’s, now.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

And a special spoiler for you, these Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative 5oz Coins (as well as the ATB coins) will be eligible for our new oversize holders which we will be announcing next week.

Let us know what you think!

It's a nice looking label. I'm curious about the slab. The 5ozer in particular. Do they stack?

@GRANDAM said:
    Is the diameter the same on these Apollo Coins as on other 5 oz Pucks?

Yes, three inches.

@Onastone said:
    These holders must be huge! To house the 5 oz coin and thickness of a curved one as well. Yes, thanks for the preview!!

Agree, thickness of the domed Apollo coin is 0.441 inches which is greater than the thickness of a PCGS standard slab ~5/16 ( 0.3125).

Will be interesting to see this slabbed domed coin.

@Hemispherical said:

Will be interesting to see this slabbed domed coin.

It's going to be like a little box!!!

Will I be able to lift a box of 20 of these?

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

better find a spotter just in case

• lccoinslccoins Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 1:45PM

We got the new oversize holders a couple of weeks ago. They are shorter than the older holders. And they do stack.

L&C Coins
    www.lccoins.com
    A PCGS Authorized Dealer
  • Here are some comparison shots

L&C Coins
    www.lccoins.com
    A PCGS Authorized Dealer
  • @Hemispherical @smokincoin the official dimensions are 5.353 x 3.933 x .0455

And yes they stack!

Heather Boyd

Very nice!!! Impressive~

edited January 24, 2019 7:00PM

@HeatherBoyd Thank you for the dimensions.

@lccoins Thank you for the comparison pics.

Edit to add:

The capsule, http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-121418a-mint-apollo11-50th-coins-first-strike.html

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I Can't really get excited about those Coins at all. Especially not the duplication across all versions of the Set.😴

But the Special PCGS HOLDER ?

WELL now, that's a whole nother story. I love it! Got to have it !

I want a 70 graded 5 oz Silver Coin for sure !

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Could we have a 5 Oz Gold Proof legislated in, like before the end of the year ?

And with a different design ? 😚

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went ahead and ordered some of the Apollo coins but their going to stay in their original sealed in their box until I am ready to send into PCGS. That way I can keep my First Strike designation. How long will PCGS will keep that Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins PCGS Special Label going? 1 Month, 1 Year or longer? Just wondering what my time period is to get that new special label into PCGS? TYIA

• @Gluggo said:
    I went ahead and ordered some of the Apollo coins but their going to stay in their original sealed in their box until I am ready to send into PCGS. That way I can keep my First Strike designation. How long will PCGS will keep that Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins PCGS Special Label going? 1 Month, 1 Year or longer? Just wondering what my time period is to get that new special label into PCGS? TYIA

First Strike designation guidelines can be found here: https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike

If you have any more questions just let me know :)

Heather Boyd

edited January 24, 2019 1:04PM

@HeatherBoyd said:

@Gluggo said:

First Strike designation guidelines can be found here: https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike

Thank you
    I forgot about the cut off dates. I got a bunch of my 2018 coins boxed up I guess I missed the date on those. I might as well open them up noe, but it looks like these cut off on MONDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2019

• @Gluggo said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

@Gluggo said:

Thank you
    I forgot about the cut off dates. I got a bunch of my 2018 coins boxed up I guess I missed the date on those. I might as well open them up noe, but it looks like these cut off on MONDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2019

You can reach out to customer service if you have the receipts and the coins are still in the untampered original mint packaging and see what we can do!

Heather Boyd

@HeatherBoyd said:

Question,,,,,, can I submit the 5 oz Silver and the 1/4 Gold together on one submission form under Modern?

If not is there another way to submit both on the same form?

• @GRANDAM said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

Question,,,,,, can I submit the 5 oz Silver and the 1/4 Gold together on one submission form under Modern?

That is correct! I was actually just answering this question, with the special label we are allowing the $5 gold coins under Modern instead of Modern Gold! If you were to submit the coin separately without the special label it would need to be submitted under Modern Gold.

Heather Boyd

edited January 24, 2019 1:49PM

@HeatherBoyd said:

@GRANDAM said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

That is correct! I was actually just answering this question, with the special label we are allowing the $5 gold coins under Modern instead of Modern Gold! If you were to submit the coin separately without the special label it would need to be submitted under Modern Gold.

Great,,,, so is there a seperate charge for the Apollo Label and 1st Strike Label if you want both?
    So on the 5 oz Silver I check $20 for oversized holder & $18 First Strike & $19 add for Apollo Label? Is this correct?

Grand I am going to guess once you get the coin within the 30 days you will get that designation of First Strike when you buy the special label. But lets let the experts answer that and I hope your having a good day. I am just here at the office working!!!! :D

• @GRANDAM said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

@GRANDAM said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

Great,,,, so is there a seperate charge for the Apollo Label and 1st Strike Label if you want both?
    So on the 5 oz Silver I check $20 for oversized holder & $18 First Strike & $19 add for Apollo Label? Is this correct?

I also responded to your PM! The $18 special label fee includes First Strike :) full submission guidelines can be found here: https://www.pcgs.com/labels/AstronautsMemorial?utm_source=PCGS&utm_medium=spotlight&utm_content=apollo_special_label

Please do not hesitate to reach out to customer service if you have any more quetions, they are the most qualified to help. 800-447-8848

Heather Boyd

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

Hi Heather,
    Does PCGS honors First Day Issue on these Apollo gold and 5 oz silver when submitted with proof?

TIA

@HeatherBoyd said:

@Gluggo said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

@Gluggo said:

Thank you

You can reach out to customer service if you have the receipts and the coins are still in the untampered original mint packaging and see what we can do!

Thank you I will keep that in mind.

edited January 28, 2019 5:38PM

@jabba said:
    Question: so if this meets the 30 from release deadline it automatically get First Strike on the special label #505 or do I need to mark first strike on the submission form?

You have to mark 1st Strike and include the $18 fee + the grading fee of $16 for a total of $34 + $20 for the oversized holder for the 5 oz Silver only for a $54 total for the Hockey Pucks. They are letting us add the $5 Gold on the same form for the Modern grading fee. Aslo on the other line write Label #505.

• I was thinking of sending my whole box of 5 pucks(got three girls and myself). I've never submitted for grading. I thought I heard previously they won't return original packaging? That doesn't include the box, COA, etc does it? I'm assuming they just mean the exterior cardboard mint package. Obviously I would want those back. Can anyone clarify?

@Wolfpack98 said:
    I was thinking of sending my whole box of 5 pucks(got three girls and myself). I've never submitted for grading. I thought I heard previously they won't return original packaging? That doesn't include the box, COA, etc does it? I'm assuming they just mean the exterior cardboard mint package. Obviously I would want those back. Can anyone clarify?

PCGS will return the OGP. Write in the comments section on the submission form in big bold letters that you want all the original government packaging returned.

• jabbajabba Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 8:06AM

@Hemispherical said:

@Wolfpack98 said:
    I was thinking of sending my whole box of 5 pucks(got three girls and myself). I've never submitted for grading. I thought I heard previously they won't return original packaging? That doesn't include the box, COA, etc does it? I'm assuming they just mean the exterior cardboard mint package. Obviously I would want those back. Can anyone clarify?

PCGS will return the OGP. Write in the comments section on the submission form in big bold letters that you want all the original government packaging returned.

I was thinking of sending the coins in the plastic capsule that the mint uses so not to damage them or scratche them but the way I understand the submission info it sounds like they only want Mylar flips. So I can send them in the mint capsule or not? (With out the boxes they can in if course). They are proof one once coins.

@jabba said:

I was thinking of sending the coins in the plastic capsule that the mint uses so not to damage them or scratche them but the way I understand the submission info it sounds like they only want Mylar flips. So I can send them in the mint capsule or not? (With out the boxes they can in if course). They are proof one once coins.

For mint products I send them in with the mint capsule and packaging. I do not use flips for these modern mint products. So far, I have always received the mint packaging and empty capsule back with the slabbed coin(s). And you get a much better packaging from PCGS then what you get from the mint.

I dont see an option for the 2019 Proof Half Dollar Set Mint # 19CF. Is there a special code to put on the PCGS Form like we are doing for the 5 OZ Pucks? TYIA

Ohhh wait a minute I see the 2019 Apollo, 50th anniversary clad half dollar coin's ( plural ) that must be it!

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just can't get excited about a giant coin.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

I agree ms70 when I get mine back its only into the safe to be put away forever into the dungeon! I took the pictures I wanted prior to the encapsulation. Still learning to take raw photo's that is what really excites me.

• @HeatherBoyd said:
    DRUMROLL PLEASE~

Official Press Release:

Astronauts Memorial Foundation Honors the Past and Inspires the Future with PCGS Apollo 11 Coin Holder

(Santa Ana, California) January 17, 2019 – The Astronauts Memorial Foundation (www.amfcse.org), a nonprofit organization that honors and memorializes those astronauts who have sacrificed their lives for the nation and the space program by sponsoring the Space Mirror Memorial, and by implementing innovative educational technology programs, has selected Professional Coin Grading Service (www.PCGS.com) to create a special label to celebrate the launch of the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins.

PCGS has prepared special inserts featuring the AMF logo juxtaposed against the sun rising behind the earth. These commemorative coins will also receive the First Strike® designation, when eligible, and Apollo 11 50th Anniversary pedigree. The new Apollo 11 commemorative coins, and other specified U.S. and world coins will be eligible to receive the AMF label.

A portion of the proceeds received by PCGS from submitters for the grading and encapsulation of the coins commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the first moon landing will be donated directly to the Astronauts Memorial Foundation. AMF, which is based at the John F. Kennedy Space Center in Florida, was founded in the wake of the Space Shuttle Challenger accident in 1986. AMF is the proud sponsor of the 42-foot high by 50-foot wide polished granite monument known as the Space Mirror Memorial. The National Memorial, also located at the John F. Kennedy Space Center on Merritt Island, Florida, glows with the names of astronauts who have given their lives in the line of duty.

“The Astronauts Memorial Foundation is excited about partnering with PCGS on the grading and encapsulation of these historic Apollo Commemorative Coins. We chose to work with PCGS due to their high-regard in the numismatic community and the safety, security, and aesthetics of the PCGS holder,” said Thad Altman, President and CEO of AMF, “AMF’s mission is to memorialize the twenty-four astronauts who have lost their lives in the pursuit of space exploration and to educate future generations to become the explorers of tomorrow, we feel that this special label, with the added benefit of being available to coins beyond just the 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins, will help to further honor our fallen heroes.”

AMF funds the Center for Space Education in Florida where students, teachers, and mentors experience building rockets, robotic competitions and other hands-on learning activities. AMF also partners with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to provide technology training to educators throughout the nation with a particular emphasis on space-related technology.

“PCGS is pleased to partner with the Astronauts Memorial Foundation and help support AMF’s mission to inspire future generations of scientists, engineers, and mathematicians through their many programs and outreach activities. This is a perfect way for the hobby to pay tribute and memorialize the 1969 Apollo 11 mission and the United States Mint’s 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coins,” said PCGS President Brett Charville.

On January 24, the U.S. Mint will begin sales of four different Apollo 11 coins: A Clad Half Dollar, Silver Dollar, $5 denomination gold coin and a Five-ounce Proof Silver Dollar.

Prices for the coins include surcharges of $35 for each gold coin, $10 for each Silver Dollar, $5 for each Clad Half Dollar, and $50 for each Five-ounce Proof Silver Dollar. Under federal legislation authorizing the coins, the surcharges will be divided as follows: one-half to the Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum’s “Destination Moon” exhibit, one-quarter to the Astronauts Memorial Foundation, and one-quarter to the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation.

“In addition to the mandated surcharges, we will donate 50% of the $18 label fee from encapsulation of all Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives and other qualifying coins that receive the special insert,” explained Charville.

• The following coins will qualify for this special label and pedigree;
    o 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary $5 Gold Coin
    o 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary $1 Silver Dollar
    o 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Clad Half Dollar
    o 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Five Ounce Proof Silver Dollar

• Additionally, the AMF label can be used for the following coins:
    o 2019 Native American $1 Coins in all finishes
    o 2004 Florida “Gateway to Discovery” State Quarters
    o All U.S. Kennedy Half Dollar Coins (including all mint state, proof, specimen, and commemorative versions in all metals)
    o All U.S. Eisenhower $1 Coins
    o All American Eagle Coins (including all mint state, proof, specimen in all metals, and denominations)
    o 2019 Pobjoy Mint / Ascension Island Apollo Coins
    o 2019 Royal Australian Mint Apollo Coins

Full submission guidelines are available here: https://pcgs.com/labels

The PCGS Set Registry® will be hosting a new set for coins featuring the special Apollo 11 50th Anniversary label featuring all of the above coins.

Since its founding in 1986, PCGS experts have certified over 40 million coins from over 100 different counties with a total market value of over $34.5 billion. For information about PCGS products and services, including how to submit your coins for authentication and grading, visit www.PCGS.com or call PCGS Customer Service at (800) 447-8848.

The Official Release is also available here: https://www.pcgs.com/news/astronauts-memorial-foundation-honors-the-past

Can't wait to become a club member and semd my proof coin in for this. May even send one of my Imes in, as well.
    R/,
    Norm

Norm
    "I'm me... Who else were you expecting?"

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd

Will PCGS be giving the half set an attribution on the lablel for the proof clad/Kennedy? If so, what are the submission requirements?

(I looked around PCGS's site, couldn't find anything. Then I remembered this thread existed, and still couldn't find anything... :wink: )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file