Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another 1972 Penny

I am running all of my pennies through a microscope check. I have thousands, so it may generate more than a few questions. This 1972 penny seems to show pretty good doubling. To my inexperienced eye. The "L" however seems to have a weird shape. Is this damage? Or a known error? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    NscjohnsonNscjohnson Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 1:12PM

Closer and cropped image.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmd.

• Options

Thanks!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nscjohnson said:
    I am running all of my pennies through a microscope check. I have thousands, so it may generate more than a few questions.

Uh oh....

With all due respect, why scrutinize 1000s of cents? Set aside the dates and mintmarks with known varieties and scrutinize those (but the microscope might be overkill). All the hours you will spend micro-scrutinizing the others could be better spent going through new rolls/boxes you can get from the bank. Finding interesting/valuable coins is a numbers game.

Just my opinion....

P.S. - great photos, but I agree that it is PMD. You will see a lot of that, along with deteriorated dies and machine doubling, especially if you are using a microscope,

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a waste of time but a good learning experience. There is no doubling on that coin. Those fat letters and such are just from normal circulation and contact with other coins.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I have been collecting coins for years, by keeping change and getting rolls from the bank. I always meant to check them, but just sorted them by year and put them away. I also inherited my father's collections but have never had any time to do anything with them, because of a very demanding job, family etc. That's why I have so many coins. My kids are grown up, and I have recently retired, and now have a ton of time to review all of these coins. My eyes are very poor, and using the USB microscope is much easier for me and works very well for me. My husband just bought it, because I was straining my eyes. I wish my eyes were better, but they aren't. When I said I have thousands of pennies, I do mean thousands. They have already been sorted by date and I am only checking dates with known errors, or really old ones. But even then, I have thousands to check. I have hundreds of 1972 pennies, hundreds of1970 pennies, hundreds of 1969 pennies, hundreds of 1984s, 1982's, 1995s, 1997s, 1998s, 1999, 2000s and on and on. Those are just pennies. I have quarters, silver dollars, dimes, nickels, Presidential dollars. I have been promising for years to start taking some of these coins back to the bank. I finally will start. After I check known error dates.

It is a lot of fun to me and I am so glad to finally have time to pursue my hobbies. I also metal detect. We have property on a lake. I can't wait to explore that area. So far, I just keep finding money.

Thanks for your advice and your concern. I appreciate it, but I am loving doing this and I don't consider it time wasted at all. I have worked since I finished college in a high stress, demanding, career while raising a family. Having time to read, research, travel, explore my hobbies, or just sit and stare at the wall all day if I want, is fabulous! It isn't about money. I don't have to be or expect to be the one to make the next great find. I'm just having fun and loving my life. Thanks :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you are in a good position. You are definitely not the typical new member who posts coins with anomalies.

I expect that with that amount of vintage "inventory" you will turn up some interesting stuff. I hope you'll share some of them here. It will inspire some people and also make some people a little jealous!

• Options
    Josh32Josh32 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Doesn't appear to be doubled. I have an example of one I have found with minor doubling.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

spend it

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 4:26PM

To OP if you are truly interested in what a Dd and the other types read the explanations and examples in the many posts here.

Click my name above and the discussions and you find a post that cotains links to the question of doubling and various forms of

• Options

@JBK said:
    Sounds like you are in a good position. You are definitely not the typical new member who posts coins with anomalies.

I expect that with that amount of vintage "inventory" you will turn up some interesting stuff. I hope you'll share some of them here. It will inspire some people and also make some people a little jealous!

@giantsfan20 said:
    To OP if you are truly interested in what a Dd and the other types read the explanations and examples in the many posts here.

Click my name above and the discussions and you find a post that contains links to the question of doubling and various forms of

Thanks so much. I will do that. I have a lot to learn.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019 2:31PM

@Nscjohnson said:
    I have been collecting coins for years, by keeping change and getting rolls from the bank. I always meant to check them, but just sorted them by year and put them away. I also inherited my father's collections but have never had any time to do anything with them, because of a very demanding job, family etc. That's why I have so many coins. My kids are grown up, and I have recently retired, and now have a ton of time to review all of these coins. My eyes are very poor, and using the USB microscope is much easier for me and works very well for me. My husband just bought it, because I was straining my eyes. I wish my eyes were better, but they aren't. When I said I have thousands of pennies, I do mean thousands. They have already been sorted by date and I am only checking dates with known errors, or really old ones. But even then, I have thousands to check. I have hundreds of 1972 pennies, hundreds of1970 pennies, hundreds of 1969 pennies, hundreds of 1984s, 1982's, 1995s, 1997s, 1998s, 1999, 2000s and on and on. Those are just pennies. I have quarters, silver dollars, dimes, nickels, Presidential dollars. I have been promising for years to start taking some of these coins back to the bank. I finally will start. After I check known error dates.

It is a lot of fun to me and I am so glad to finally have time to pursue my hobbies. I also metal detect. We have property on a lake. I can't wait to explore that area. So far, I just keep finding money.

Thanks for your advice and your concern. I appreciate it, but I am loving doing this and I don't consider it time wasted at all. I have worked since I finished college in a high stress, demanding, career while raising a family. Having time to read, research, travel, explore my hobbies, or just sit and stare at the wall all day if I want, is fabulous! It isn't about money. I don't have to be or expect to be the one to make the next great find. I'm just having fun and loving my life. Thanks :)

@Nscjohnson Welcome to the forum and to the coin collecting hobby!

It will help to pickup a few good books, too. Cherrypicker’s guide is a good start.

Always remember to have fun!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nscjohnson....Welcome aboard... and thank you for telling us about your situation.... It should be fun going through your coins.... and maybe there is a treasure or two hidden away. Best of luck and keep posting to let us know how it all goes... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file