Home Sports Talk

If the NFL admits they missed the call at the end of the Rams - Saints game???

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will they admit that they missed the Roughing the Passer in the Chiefs game against Brady? If you saw it what part of that play is Roughing the Passer :#

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019 9:06PM

They missed it. The very next play the refs also missed an obvious holding penalty against the Chiefs. The refs miss calls on penalties all the time

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some are more obvious than others. They could probably call something on each play if they tried hard enough

edited January 20, 2019 9:19PM

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Some are more obvious than others. They could probably call something on each play if they tried hard enough

Indeed. Even more so in slow motion replay

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Sean Payton was told by the NFL's head of officials that the refs did blow that call.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25812050/saints-never-get-blown-pass-interference-call

Problem is, that is completely empty. "Stuff" like this happens repeatedly, and The League comes out and says "Oops, our bad" or something similar, but again, it's entirely empty since the damage has already been done. There is no recourse for the team on the losing end. The F-Up is never corrected. The NFL always says "We'll try to make sure it never happens again", but it's all BS, they never do a damned thing to fix the problem!

Basically, it's always "Yeah, we screwed you.....our bad.....but there's nothing you can do about it, so HA HA HA HA!!!!!"

It's infuriating!!!!!!

Steve

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are missed calls every game against both teams. Holding could be called on every play. Pragmatically, what can be done? They cannot replay every single call, games would be 8 hours long. There will be some human element to officiating, it is inescapable. Now, the missed saints call was excruciating. Should a coach be able to challenge one or two calls per game? I would be on board with that.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

The refs missed the pass interference/hit to the helmet, but as others have stated; holding, contact after 5 yards, etc. occur on almost every play. The Saints had other opportunities to win the game after that “no call”

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

@erikthredd said:
    Sean Payton was told by the NFL's head of officials that the refs did blow that call.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25812050/saints-never-get-blown-pass-interference-call

Problem is, that is completely empty. "Stuff" like this happens repeatedly, and The League comes out and says "Oops, our bad" or something similar, but again, it's entirely empty since the damage has already been done. There is no recourse for the team on the losing end. The F-Up is never corrected. The NFL always says "We'll try to make sure it never happens again", but it's all BS, they never do a damned thing to fix the problem!

Basically, it's always "Yeah, we screwed you.....our bad.....but there's nothing you can do about it, so HA HA HA HA!!!!!"

It's infuriating!!!!!!

Steve

I agree with everything you just said. I was only pointing out to the OP that someone did in fact admit they screwed the pooch here.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s the human element, it’s impossible for them to get every call correct and see every penalty. What annoys me most is when they through flags on obvious garbage that shouldn’t be penalties.

edited January 21, 2019 11:08AM

If Goodell reverses that call he should be fired immediately. The refs blew it,without a doubt, but it is what it is at this point. I've read comments today elsewhere that if the Rams win the SB their victory will always be considered "tainted",if he ever reversed that and NO's ended the SB winner I'd feel it would be considered the same. That it took the NFL to overturn the outcome of a game.
    It sucks for Saints fans today and the NFL deserves all the negative attention we're seeing but its over & done with.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also heard about the Goodell reverse call rule. They told The story on espn radio this am about the 2013 ravens SB and the flacco statement. Apparently cameras overheard flacco on the sidelines at the very end of the game say that if the opposition were to break free for a TD to win the game, he planned on coming in from the sidelines to make the tackle because he would only get a 15 yard penalty and they would win the SB. Obviously it didn't come to that, but in that case, would Goodell be expected to enact the clause?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think most fans will admit that there is some type of infraction that occurs on every play. there are what, about eight Referees watching the field and 22 skilled players who know how to skirt the rules?? that all goes without saying and it's hard to watch everything and everyone all the time. that is where the excuse about the missed Pass Interference and helmet-to-helmet call falls flat on its face.

one aspect of the game gets watched all the time by the fans and by several members of the Officiating Crew --- THE GAME BALL THAT IS IN PLAY!!! way, way too many of the Officials were watching that ball and the play involving it for one of them not to see what happened.

I personally believe that they didn't "Miss" the call, for whatever reason they chose not to "Make" the call. if it walks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck it usually is a Duck.

@erikthredd said:

If Goodell reverses that call he should be fired immediately. The refs blew it,without a doubt, but it is what it is at this point. I've read comments today elsewhere that if the Rams win the SB their victory will always be considered "tainted",if he ever reversed that and NO's ended the SB winner I'd feel it would be considered the same. That it took the NFL to overturn the outcome of a game.
    It sucks for Saints fans today and the NFL deserves all the negative attention we're seeing but its over & done with.

I’m not saying he should do anything, I just didn’t know the commissioner actually had the power to do that. I couldn’t care less who won that game

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I’m not saying he should do anything, I just didn’t know the commissioner actually had the power to do that. I couldn’t care less who won that game

That wasn't meant for you. If I was a Saints player I would want no part of that rule. Bad officiating comes with the territory.

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

That wasn't meant for you. If I was a Saints player I would want no part of that rule. Bad officiating comes with the territory.

All good bro, we are on the same page.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

bad non call but the saints had 60 minutes to win why leave it until the last 2 minutes

edited January 21, 2019 12:31PM

Check out the link below:

Rams fans had actually started a petition on Change.org, to have the officiating crew for the NFC Championship changed. They didn't like that the Vinovich crew was working the game, since the Rams were 0-8 in Vinovich-officiated games since 2012.

This raises the question: Was Vinovich trying to make up for past perceived screw-ups/bias in Ram games?

https://cbssports.com/nfl/news/angry-rams-fans-have-started-a-petition-to-get-ref-removed-from-nfc-championship-game-and-heres-why/

Steve

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pasted from the article

And it reads like this:

"The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game."

There is no reasonable way that one blown call by a ref meets any of this criteria for replaying a game. Virtually every game could technically be replayed, and then replayed again, and then.....

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    The refs missed the pass interference/hit to the helmet, but as others have stated; holding, contact after 5 yards, etc. occur on almost every play. The Saints had other opportunities to win the game after that “no call”

I disagree with this. With the time left if the call had been made as it should have the Saints would have won the game. No if, ands or buts. This no call cost the Saints the game. And it's not like it was hard to see....IT WAS BLANTENLY OBVIOUS!!!

To be fair they should suit everybody up and start the game from that point making the call and finish the game. Saying they are sorry....just doesn't cut it!!!!

@1970s said:
    Receivers drop passes, QB's make bad throws, and refs make bad calls.
    It's called being human. Mistakes are made by players and officials. It's always
    been part of the game. Nothing you can do about it. If you're going to allow do overs
    for refs (instant replay), then are you going to allow do overs for Tom Brady if he makes
    a bad throw ? Mistakes happen, and they are costly. There are costly fumbles, costly
    interceptions, and costly blown calls. All part of the game. Live with it.

AMEN brother

m

edited January 21, 2019 3:36PM

At right around the 2:00 something mark Goff had his face mask twisted at the 2 yard line. If properly called it would have given the Rams a first down at the 1 or so. Instead the refs missed it and the Rams end up kicking a field goal. A touchdown would have put them up by 4. Whole new ball game and scenerio. For sure there would have been less time and the Saints would have burned time out(s) on D. The Saints would have needed a touchdown perhaps and not a field goal on the last drive. But if and buts are candy and nuts and life is not a party. Who know what the outcome would have been as the play calling and strategy changes.

Yes the Rams wanted ZERO to do with this officiating crew. They were 0-8 with the chief crew at the helm.

If the NFL wanted to slow the game down more and allow for penalties to be reviewed then fine. I’m sure they can figure something out. The pass interference penalty is such a death penalty USUALLY going against the D I wouldn’t mind some kind of review process. BUT, they have to play by the process they have in front of them now.

I do know this. The Rams played as well or better then the Saints in their building. They out passed, out ran, out special teamed and out coached the Saints. They held Bree’s and the Saints to under 300 yards offense in the their building.

The Rams caught the break of all breaks and it was obviously the most visable. But, they also took advantage of it. Most don’t. The Saints had their chance. They won the coin flip. He could have lead his team down the field like Brady and ended it that way. No one made Bree’s throw that ill advised pass. On that very same drive they flagged LA for a very questionable PI call on third down that extended the drive.

So if one wants to be dramatic and say the Rams don’t belong or deserve to be in the Super Bowl or a Super win would be tainted that’s your problem to deal with.

The Rams were the better team on Sunday bad non PI call and all. The Saints? They should be furious for many reasons.

m

bad non call but the saints had 60 minutes to win why leave it until the last 2 minutes

I think most fans accept stuff like what is mentioned above, that is part of the game. as for the Referees, I think most fans also accept that they make mistakes. this was a little more important and a little more blatant. in the context of penalties it is hard to imagine what they were looking at or thinking.

talk of overturning it is just stupid, be mad for awhile and move on. if stuff like this sticks in your craw you should try MLB.

@Justacommeman said:
    At right around the 2:00 something mark Goff had his face mask twisted at the 2 yard line. If properly called it would have given the Rams a first down at the 1 or so. Instead the refs missed it and the Rams end up kicking a field goal. A touchdown would have put them up by 4. Whole new ball game and scenerio. For sure there would have been less time and the Saints would have burned time out(s) on D. The Saints would have needed a touchdown perhaps and not a field goal on the last drive. But if and buts are candy and nuts and life is not a party. Who know what the outcome would have been as the play calling and strategy changes.

Yes the Rams wanted ZERO to do with this officiating crew. They were 0-8 with the chief crew at the helm.

If the NFL wanted to slow the game down more and allow for penalties to be reviewed then fine. I’m sure they can figure something out. The pass interference penalty is such a death penalty USUALLY going against the D I wouldn’t mind some kind of review process. BUT, they have to play by the process they have in front of them now.

I do know this. The Rams played as well or better then the Saints in their building. They out passed, out ran, out special teamed and out coached the Saints. They held Bree’s and the Saints to under 300 yards offense in the their building.

The Rams caught the break of all breaks and it was obviously the most visable. But, they also took advantage of it. Most don’t. The Saints has their chance. They won the coin flip. He could have lead his team down the field like Brady and ended it that way. No one made Bree’s throw that ill advised pass. On that very same drive they flagged LA for a very questionable PI call on third down that extended the drive.

So if one wants to be dramatic and say the Rams don’t belong or deserve to be in the Super Bowl or a Super win would be tainted that’s your problem to deal with.

The Rams were the better team on Sunday bad non PI call and all. The Saints? They should be furious for many reasons.

m

Mark, this is just a bunch of mumbo jumbo to try and make it look OK. It's not OK. And you know as well as I do that at that point in time if the call is made as it SHOULD have been...….the Saints would have scored and run the clock down to nothing and won the game. The Rams don't deserve to be in the SB at all. I hope the Pats stomp a mud hole in them.

@DIMEMAN said:

Mark, Dez made that catch!!!!!

@1970s - There is a big difference in players costing their team a game and a ref blowing an obvious PI and helmet to helmet and costing a team the game. I'm not even a Saints fan, but can't stand to see a game decided by such a horrible no call!

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

The Rams caught the break of all breaks and it was obviously the most visable. But, they also took advantage of it. Most don’t. The Saints has their chance. They won the coin flip. He could have lead his team down the field like Brady and ended it that way. No one made Bree’s throw that ill advised pass. On that very same drive they flagged LA for a very questionable PI call on third down that extended the drive.

m

Mark, this is just a bunch of mumbo jumbo to try and make it look OK. It's not OK. And you know as well as I do that at that point in time if the call is made as it SHOULD have been...….the Saints would have scored and run the clock down to nothing and won the game. The Rams don't deserve to be in the SB at all. I hope the Pats stomp a mud hole in them.

Facts and opinions yes. But whatever

m

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Mark, Dez made that catch!!!!!

That was a bad call (on reversal), but not NEAR AS BAD as this no call!!!!

@1970s said:

@DIMEMAN said:

>

You are speaking to the unfairness of it all, and I get where you are coming from.

However, I look at it this way. The refs missed something like the Chicago Bears kicker did against the Eagles in Chicago. Both misses were very costly.

As a fan you feel much better when a player screws it up for his team then when an
    official does. I totally get that. However, I don't see officials as Gods. I see them as people who
    are just as human as the players. This allows me to enjoy the game more because I put them on the same playing field as the players.

Others expect officials to be perfect. I think this is unfair to any game being played. I
    officiated once, and it was the worst experience of my life. Too much stress being responsible
    for such an important game. I don't know how these guys do it. I can tell you one thing, the official who missed that call is feeling exactly like that Bears kicker did, and it will take time
    to heal from that missed call. That's how important the game is to them too, and getting it right.

I understand that the officials, just like everyone else, aren't perfect, and I don't expect them to be. However,..........

For them to completely miss this call, on a supposedly special-interest item for the NFL (due to the emphasis on concussions, and their effects), where the defender not only committed "pass interference", but he launched himself at the defenseless receiver, leading with his helmet, and made a helmet-to-helmet hit, is just completely unforgivable!

Steve

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

titanic difference between human error on a nebulous play and being 1,000% spineless at the most inopportune time while helen keller is trying to throw a flag from her grave

@galaxy27 said:
    titanic difference between human error on a nebulous play and being 1,000% spineless at the most inopportune time while helen keller is trying to throw a flag from her grave

I’m still expecting a flag to come out at anytime now

m

• 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Why isn't there an opportunity to review the play that happened? Coaches can throw out a flag for certain plays to be reviewed and lose a TO if the play stands. Maybe the head official should be allowed to have "3 flags" to throw during a game which allow the entire officiating team to review the play.

@59Horsehide said:
    Why isn't there an opportunity to review the play that happened? Coaches can throw out a flag for certain plays to be reviewed and lose a TO if the play stands. Maybe the head official should be allowed to have "3 flags" to throw during a game which allow the entire officiating team to review the play.

NBA refs can review game altering plays late in games maybe the NFL should do the same for the final two minutes of regulation plus overtime. Not for ticky-tack stuff but for plays like the one we're all talking about.

@MLBdays said:
    Tough to figure the refs not reffing in that pivotal Pass Interference play.... they weren't looking at the play ... at all...lol... If your watching and you see it you call it. ~~~they didn't witness the play.

I’m still waiting for the flag to come out

m

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

I disagree with this. With the time left if the call had been made as it should have the Saints would have won the game. No if, ands or buts. This no call cost the Saints the game. And it's not like it was hard to see....IT WAS BLANTENLY OBVIOUS!!!

To be fair they should suit everybody up and start the game from that point making the call and finish the game. Saying they are sorry....just doesn't cut it!!!!

True, they would have won the game if the call had been made. Looking at the play in “real time”, the pass interference was not as obvious, but the helmet to helmet was clear. I’m just stating the Saints had other opportunities after the call to win the game, “they won the overtime coin flip” and turned it over.

I'm trying to remember if the Referees even got together after that play to discuss what happened, I don't remember them doing that. in my mind that would be a solution and shouldn't disrupt the pace of a game that much. it's already done on contact with the QB and the intentional grounding rule.

the ultimate goal should be getting it right and sometimes the Official closest to the play, responsible for a call, can't see what took place, while another Official some distance away might better be able to make the right call. that seems like the case here.

I find it difficult to accept that none of those Officials saw what we all saw. the NFL silence speaks volumes.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

My problem is that this call/no call came at a point in the game where it almost definitely changed the outcome, and the ultimate winner. They have separate rules for replay reviews in the last two minutes where all replays are initiated from NY, all scores and turnovers reviewed etc. IMO this has to be a rule change going forward. I have no allegiance to either team here, but everyone saw the play, we all know what happened yet are powerless to change it. The object is to get the call right!!!! They failed miserably.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    My problem is that this call/no call came at a point in the game where it almost definitely changed the outcome, and the ultimate winner. They have separate rules for replay reviews in the last two minutes where all replays are initiated from NY, all scores and turnovers reviewed etc. IMO this has to be a rule change going forward. I have no allegiance to either team here, but everyone saw the play, we all know what happened yet are powerless to change it. The object is to get the call right!!!! They failed miserably.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nfl-might-consider-allowing-reviews-pass-interference-saints-fiasco-173552996.html

Report: NFL might consider allowing reviews of pass interference after Saints fiasco

Pasted from the article:

Bill Belichick has called for reviews of everything

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has long said coaches should be able to challenge any call, which makes the NFL’s inaction until Sunday’s horrendous non-call even more egregious.

Belichick’s philosophy has been that all calls should be reviewable. Coaches wouldn’t get more challenges than the two they have already, with a third if the first two are successful. But anything would be fair game. It makes sense.

“When you have two challenges, I don’t see anything wrong with the concept of, ‘You can challenge any two plays you want,’” Belichick said in 2013, according to the Sporting News. “I understand that judgment calls are judgment calls, but to say that an important play can’t be reviewed, I don’t think that’s really in the spirit of trying to get everything right and making sure the most important plays are officiated properly.”

Pretty sound idea from Bill Belichick.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets done in the off season.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Something should change...maybe as outlined of above, maybe with a little tweak. But for sure, in the final two minutes a game, everything should be reviewable!. I would think that if something like that happened against the Patriots, Mr Kraft would make sure that it wouldn't happen again.

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

One thing is for sure. Given the importance of the two games to the integrity of the league the officiating was abysmal. It should not happen at this level. If they need more zebras on the field that's fine, or spotters upstairs that can overrule the field call then that's fine, too, but they need to fix this hot mess fast.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I also heard about the Goodell reverse call rule. They told The story on espn radio this am about the 2013 ravens SB and the flacco statement. Apparently cameras overheard flacco on the sidelines at the very end of the game say that if the opposition were to break free for a TD to win the game, he planned on coming in from the sidelines to make the tackle because he would only get a 15 yard penalty and they would win the SB. Obviously it didn't come to that, but in that case, would Goodell be expected to enact the clause?

The rules actually cover this. A touchdown can be awarded in this circumstance. Pretty sure that's what they did when Mike Tomlin interfered on a return a few years back.

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

The rules actually cover this. A touchdown can be awarded in this circumstance. Pretty sure that's what they did when Mike Tomlin interfered on a return a few years back.

They didn't award a touchdown on that Tomlin play.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

They didn't award a touchdown on that Tomlin play.

Correct. The referees on that play wrongly ruled that Tomlin didn't interfere. Had they actually done their job, they would have awarded a touchdown.

i love being reminded just at odd moments exactly how much tomlin sucks :D

@bronco2078 said:
    i love being reminded just at odd moments exactly how much tomlin sucks :D

How bad can he be when he's a big fan of listening to Scott Zolak do play by play during Patriots-Steelers games.