Home Metal Detecting

Off season/down time

Hello to everyone in Metal Detecting land. I was curious as to what others do when the ground has frozen tight and swinging the coil is an impossibility? How do you continue to fuel the passion?

Comments

• I enjoy the occasional puzzle as well. I spend some of the frozen months woodworking. I like to give something back to the landowners that have been gracious enough to allow me to rescue finds from their property. In some cases it's something as simple as a basket of my wife's cookies and some homemade jam but in cases where the finds are extra special I create handmade coin/button display boxes. Here is one that I'm currently working on and a completed one from early last spring.

• CCDAMEEKCCDAMEEK Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Pretty handy there! Very nice display pieces.

Oh how I LOVE this hobby!

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Current equipment: Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030.
    Pin-ponters: Garrett Propointer AT; Minelab Pro Find 35

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice work. As far as downtime, I never have any, due to my several hobbies and also work. Although retired, I work at a Tactical Handgun Training school and also a modern, indoor gun range... So really no extra time...Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have lots of finds that need study, cleaning, etc. I am also trying to service an old beat up pair of WW2 6x30 Westinghouse binoculars for a friend. I cherrypick jars and tins of coins offered by friends who save their loose change. Oh what fun! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very impressive !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Very nice work. As far as downtime, I never have any, due to my several hobbies and also work. Although retired, I work at a Tactical Handgun Training school and also a modern, indoor gun range... So really no extra time...Cheers, RickO

Well plus creating 63,000 posts will keep a person busy!!🙂

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, the display box is incredible. Very nice work.
    My downtime hobbies are music (piano/guitar), precious metals, coin collecting,.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the antler knob! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

edited January 22, 2019 8:54AM

@No Headlights.... Well, being a forum member (Coins, PM's and MD) since 2001 (even for a few years before that - they made a software change and we all started over from zero) allows the posts do accumulate....Cheers, RickO

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love your posts Rick. Hope to meet you in person someday so we can toll coins and metal detecting

@No Headlights... Could happen... though I do not travel as much as I did when I worked...Then I was all over the country...and other countries as well. Cheers, RickO