Options

NYINC 2019 - auction and show floor additions

2»

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DennisH said:
    TwoKopeki:
    That 1566 Ryal is spectacular. It's also one of the highest graded examples I've seen of any date in the series. Is it Mint State?

Thanks Dennis - it's in an older NGC53 holder and on it's way to our host.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2019 8:04PM

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Not really an NYINC addition, and something I should have done ages ago, but just pulled the trigger on Volumes I and II of Frank Grove's Medals of Mexico.

Being a collector, you've now got to complete the set!

Hmm, that's a tough decision. The third volume is hardest to find, most expensive, and covers military decorations...

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Not really an NYINC addition, and something I should have done ages ago, but just pulled the trigger on Volumes I and II of Frank Grove's Medals of Mexico.

Hmm, that's a tough decision. The third volume is hardest to find, most expensive, and covers military decorations...

Frequently available on eBay.

• Options

@Abuelo said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Frequently available on eBay.

Not that frequently. I've had a daily search running for a few months and have not seen the third volume yet. It could be that my search criteria was off, but it did notify me about the first two volumes regularly.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought Volume 1 (Medals of the Spanish Kings) was the most expensive and elusive?

• Options
    edited January 15, 2019 1:50PM

@pruebas said:
    I always thought Volume 1 (Medals of the Spanish Kings) was the most expensive and elusive?

I've only had my search on for a few months, but my experience has been different. Vol 1 is expensive, but it is regularly available.

Here's my most recent Stacks win. It's a familiar coin to a few board members @OriginalDan @CoinRaritiesOnline and I was the underbidder on it last September when it came-up on Heritage. While surprised to see it resurface this quickly after the HA sale, I've had a chance to preview it in NY and happy to add it to the collection. The temperature of the TrueView image is a bit off and the coin is generally white with some light toning. I know there are numerous other images of this coin done over the last few years, so maybe i can track down a better one to use.

Mexico 8 Reales PCGS 63+

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sweet @TwoKopeiki !

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    John @CoinRaritiesOnline was kind enough to share his images of the 1808 that are spot-on!

That is a sweet coin. Congrats!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I added a mid grade medallic taler from today's Heritage auction. A bit of an impulse purchase, but I plan on working it into my bishopric issue collection:
    German States - Munster - 1648 - PCGS AU-50. Commemorating the Peace of Westphalia. E Ketteler; classified as Pax-124; 41 mm. One of two variations listed under KM#47 in Krause "German Coins 1501-Present" in the Thaler section of Munster. Images by HA:

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki I love that 1808. Here's a different version of the Trueview, a little lighter than the one you posted. I think it must have gone through re-holder and gotten a new photo at some point.

• Options
  • Options

@worldcoinguy said:
    I added a mid grade medallic taler from today's Heritage auction. A bit of an impulse purchase, but I plan on working it into my bishopric issue collection:

Awesome Taler! I love the approach of buy what attracts you and then "work it into" your focused collection :)

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats nice pickups everyone!

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first coin purchase of 2019 is this beautifully detailed Very Low (only 125) Mintage 2008 Great Britain £5 Platinum (3 Troy Oz) Queen Elizabeth I 450 Year Commemorative Piefort Crown (S-4563 Pt).

She’s quite a looker!! 😁 How do you like her? — I started the year off with a Bang!!😁

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the rev is pretty trippy. Nice get. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just added a superb coin that was on the NYINC bourse but purchased today

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Just added a superb coin that was on the NYINC bourse but purchased today

What is it ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Oh man, so many drool-worthy coins here. That 8E is sweet. Others too.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 4:56PM

Well, I finally imaged my CNG auction winnings. The penny came out fine, but the crown may need to be re-imaged (the reverse came out a bit hotter than the obverse, and I tried to fix it using Photoshop). But for now, this is largely what they look like:

• Options

Nice coins, EVP! Love that Crown.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Nice coins, EVP! Love that Crown.

Thanks man. In hand, that coin really is quite sweet.

I put up a new image that is more faithful to the actual coin. It turns out that the color of the toning of the obverse does not match that of the reverse. The difference is subtle and hard to notice in typical lot viewing, bourse floor and hotel room lighting. But, in bright white sunlight, the difference is noticeable. And, that would explain why my iPhone (XS Max -- better camera than on older models) and my special Ricoh digital camera both kept on shooting images with obverse and reverse toning not matching.

I'll probably re-image a few times more just to see if I can do even better. This latest was done with my iPhone using natural sunlight. I will try to re-shoot with my Ricoh DS-9M mounted on my copy stand with my special white sunlight bulbs in longneck lamps.

There's a lesson to be learnt here: do not try to do imaging using tired eyes and with a dimly lit office. (I think my Ricoh probably did a good job initially but I convinced myself that the images were not faithful.)

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Couldn't resist the 2T size comparison for perspective. I can't wait to see a 4T or 5T one day in hand.....

• Options

@worldcoinguy said:
    Couldn't resist the 2T size comparison for perspective. I can't wait to see a 4T or 5T one day in hand.....

Some guy at a coin club meeting last year brought in a few. Massive. Impressive. I wonder if anyone has bothered to encase them in hard plastic and then use them as coasters. :open_mouth:

EVP