Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should I let them know?.................naaahhh....

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw a coin on ebay that looked VERY familiar.
Maybe because it was one I had just got off the phone ordering. For $400 less than the eBay listing.

Same picture.....same cert.

I see the seller has a disclaimer...........
Returns:
Seller does not accept returns

Probably a wise move. :D

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Saw a coin on ebay that looked VERY familiar.
    Maybe because it was one I had just got off the phone ordering. For $400 less than the eBay listing.

Same picture.....same cert.

Returns:

Probably a wise move. :D

Are you sure it was not from the same person? I offer coins on and off ebay. And my price off is always a lot less. Sometimes it takes me a day or two to remember I had it listed on ebay and remove the listing (eeek!). If you are sure it is not the same seller, you should buy it on ebay, and enjoy watching the obvious outcome unfold.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

A third less? I know a lot are cheaper but never by a third. :D

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

I didn't know what the price of the coin was, lol. A third less is pretty big. If it was a $10,000 coin, $400 wouldn't have been much.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some companies (like AMPEX) that have coins listed on eBay that they had sold months before. They deal heavily in bullion, so must figure every PCGS MS65 is interchangeable.

@jwitten said:

@topstuf said:

I didn't know what the price of the coin was, lol. A third less is pretty big. If it was a $10,000 coin, $400 wouldn't have been much.

Maybe the margin has to be larger when selling coins that you don't have. :D

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Returns:

He may not accept, but eBay will make him swallow it if there is a return ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some dealers/sellers that will list a coin but also allow another dealer/seller to list it as well. That 2nd party will usually up the price a bit, as their "commish", and put it out to (hopefully) a wider viewing audience who may purchase it.

That's why this happens, sometimes.

Some will put it out like that but will remove it from their own current inventory, in the meantime, just because of how it can look and be confusing. They allow that 2nd party the "exclusive" rights to advertise and sell the coin in the meantime.

Others won't. They will still have their coin listed, even if someone else is trying to sell it as well (to get that "commish").

If that 2nd party is quite greedy, or feels their time/effort/customers warrant a high markup, then you will get something like what happened.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several "sellers" on ebay who steal images from dealers or the public and then offer the coins at enormous premiums and state no returns accepted. I have spoken to a few folks whose images were stolen and they have stated that they in no way gave permission to this third party to offer the coins on ebay at an enormous markup. I'm not saying this has to be the case, but it sure might fall under it.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

It's not real real smart to lmage the whole slab, numbers and all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file