Home U.S. Coin Forum

Meanwhile in ebay today...

cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 11, 2019 5:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This was on an NGC MS64 1921 Peace dollar I was bidding on, got a cancellation notice from ebay.

"On Jan-11-19 at 09:41:53 PST, seller added the following information:
I apologize for all the inconvenience but I have to delete this post because I don't believe the price is going to go higher"

I'll just leave this here.

Many happy BST transactions

Comments

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the seller in question had better get used to that.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

And who says "Honesty is the best policy?" :/

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

No bids?

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    No bids?

Was bid up over $500.

Many happy BST transactions
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin met it's reserve that is inexcusable, no major auction company would pull lots like that.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    If the coin met it's reserve that is inexcusable, no major auction company would pull lots like that.

Ebay should put in a system like DLRC has where snipe bids can be challenged late. Only the bold go full auction on the sire now.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually didn't know an Ebay seller could just up and do that. With a reserve, yes, but............

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Sounds to me like he had a better offer offline and wanted to avoid the fees. Cheers, RickO

Actually, ebay fairly recently made a change to try to prevent things like this. If the auction has bids, he has to pay final value fees on whatever the bid was at. So he is going to be paying a decent amount to cancel this auction.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten....Thanks, I did not know that (I do not sell on ebay, and only infrequently buy). Glad to hear that though... plugging some of the holes that nefarious individuals were taking advantage of.... Cheers, RickO

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019 1:59PM

Wow. Just wow. Honesty is good, but....
    I wouldn't expect much help from eBay.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@ricko said:
    Sounds to me like he had a better offer offline and wanted to avoid the fees. Cheers, RickO

Actually, ebay fairly recently made a change to try to prevent things like this. If the auction has bids, he has to pay final value fees on whatever the bid was at. So he is going to be paying a decent amount to cancel this auction.

He is going through cancelling all bids then ending the auction, so with all bids removed he won't pay any fees.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019 2:22PM

Today on ebay I offered 50% on a 4 figure BIN and it was accepted.

Now I wonder if I paid too much? :o

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Today on ebay I offered 50% on a 4 figure BIN and it was accepted.

Now I wonder if I paid too much? :o

And I checked the verify PCGS page and it was not there.

I called PCGS and it kind of fit the description :o:o:o .... LOL, we will see. Should be fine :p

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MorganMan94 said:

@jwitten said:

@ricko said:

He is going through cancelling all bids then ending the auction, so with all bids removed he won't pay any fees.

He still pays the fees based on the highest bid. Ebay software is smart.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921 peace dollars in near gem condition, certified are worth more than $500.00 Sound slike the seller got gold feet.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019 5:16PM

@jwitten said:

@ricko said:

I think sellers can do it a couple times a year ... not positive

they keep changing the software all the time ... I just noticed that all my current offerings have FREE returns paid by me, that is new and I have to go find where they put the new checkmark or whatever...

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    1921 peace dollars in near gem condition, certified are worth more than $500.00 Sound slike the seller got gold feet.

I think the seller would have gotten fair value for the coins - a coin like that typically has 6 or 7 snipers at the end driving the final price to what it is worth.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file