Home U.S. Coin Forum

A short FUN note/s

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was surprised at the fact that I meet a 17 year girl that was involved in the hobby!
I’m not talking about going to get free coins at a kids event
This girl is involved with collecting in more than one state.
Maybe the best thing that was at the show.
Now another note 2 collectors looked at a Mercury dime graded MS66FB with a CAC sticker.
Then it started with the common comments, not sure it’s graded right, it’s not worth that $$$.
Very shortly after someone was looking at it, and to make the story short he bought it as they came back and watched the deal go down. Oh well their loss.
On a sad note a veteran walked off without paying for the two graded Mercury dimes. I always trust veterans so I believe it was an oversight. That makes me feel better that way.
I could not believe that I had more dealers at the table than collectors
A lot of dealers, WOW

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Hope that FUN is good for you, Pat. Let me know when you are back in the shop. (Did you ever get your calendar? ;) )

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 6:10PM

@Raybob15239 said:
    Hope that FUN is good for you, Pat. Let me know when you are back in the shop. (Did you ever get your calendar? ;) )

Got the calendar
    Back in office Tuesday
    Give BJ a call.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat, I am happy for you. you got a calendar, were able to gain entry to your Hotel room and found your table at the show to get set-up. my worst case scenario had you trying to sell coins on a street corner close to the alley where you slept, not realizing it was Monday and the show had ended!! :o

a note and a story --- first, the note: not all Veterans should be trusted. second, the story: we had a young man and his GF in the store yesterday, he was wearing a US Navy hat so I asked "What's up with the Hat?" and he explained that he reports to Great Lakes for Boot Camp on January 29th, going in as a Submariner!! we talked for awhile and I wished him the best. some young men and women still feel the call to Serve, so all is not lost.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is great to hear about an active YN in the hobby. I am sure (hopefully) that there are many many more out there. They just stick within their own crowd (age group). Thanks for sharing this.

And...

Not all people who say or display themselves as veterans are veterans; and regardless, if they are a thief should be treated as a thief, IMO.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report Pat.... sorry about the theft. There are a lot more young collectors out there than people here think....Cheers, RickO

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the YN you are referring to is Abby. She is a friend of mine, and something special. YN of the Year for 2018.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Did you catch the name of the 17 year-old YN?

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019 3:54AM

@KellenCoin said:
    I'm guessing the YN you are referring to is Abby. She is a friend of mine, and something special. YN of the Year for 2018.

The American Numismatic Association recognizes that the future of the hobby depends on the recruitment and education of young numismatists. The Young Numismatist of the Year award honors young collectors for outstanding contributions to the hobby and industry. Recipients exhibit a positive attitude, strong communication skills, cooperation, dependability and avid interest in expanding their numismatic knowledge. Receiving this year’s award is Abigail Zechman.

https://coinweek.com/coin-clubs/american-numismatic-association/ana-highest-honor-awards-given-to-numismatists-making-a-difference/

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was good to see you again Pat.
    I'm loving the shield nickel i got for my 7070 from you.(can't wait to image it when I get home)

I hope you didnt have to fight the weather heading north.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got home at 3:30 AM left the show just before 12noon.
    No weather problems with the weather.

I was impressed with the young lady.

I am still hoping that viet vet was an oversight and not planned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file