Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NYINC - haRasha Report - Thurs; Fri; Sat

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 12, 2019 12:42PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

From my point of view, this is shaping up to be one of the better shows, from my point of view. Lots and lots of medals! And when I arrived at about 12:30, many vendors already were in business.
First stopped at Berman's table, since I am considering a new "project" involving papal medals, but surprisingly, he did not have much worth a darn.
Donald Young still was putting out his inventory, so I wandered around, finally reaching the Educational Coin Co. table. I noted two Dutch medals with which the proprietor had no familiarity, so I educated him on their value.
I returned to Donald Young. The man does not look well (kein ayin hora), which saddens me since much of my appreciation for the art medal comes from all the time I went looking through his inventory. I purchased three medals, but only one of them was for myself; a Dutch medal, apparently recognizing charitable acts.
I continued to wander around, fascinated by the wide variety of so much freakin' interesting stuff. Josh was busy with a customer, so I proceeded onward. I always wanted to buy something from Ingrid O'Neil and for the first time, found some inventory that I liked.
I stopped and chatted with Joseph Lang, of Stephen Album Rare Coins. He shared some valuable insights about Q'ing cash coinage and I will be looking forward to bidding in the Album auction next week.
Ended up the afternoon, before fleeing for the Oyster Bay Line, with an exchange of observations, with EVillageProwler.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see you again, @harasha.

Thinking about collecting Chinese coins? About those cash coins, I cannot tell the difference between Q'ing and other dynasties, or those from Annam and elsewhere.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been dabbling with Chinese cash for about the last 5 years. Unfortunately, without a knowledge of Chinese characters, I do need a guide to assist me. However, the Q'ing dynasty coins, generally, are a bit easy to spot as the reverse has the Manchu script.

DPOTD
    edited January 11, 2019 7:43AM

@harasha said:
    I have been dabbling with Chinese cash for about the last 5 years. Unfortunately, without a knowledge of Chinese characters, I do need a guide to assist me. However, the Q'ing dynasty coins, generally, are a bit easy to spot as the reverse has the Manchu script.

You embarrass me. I am 1/4th Manchu and cannot tell the difference between Han (Mandarin) and Manchu script.

#fauxchinese #fauxasian #hyphenatedamerican #usa

edited January 11, 2019 7:41PM

Friday was time for more serious targeting, rather than surveying.
    Don Young, by this time, had put out all his stock, as he had told me he was going to do. There was a curious horse medal that I purchased.
    Then I hit Renaissance Coins and Peter Jencius, two reliable source for me. Picked up a coin featuring St. Martin from Renaissance and three papal medals from Peter. Goetz was right down the aisle and he is another dealer on whom I rely. This time, another depiction of St. Martin. Oh, and with all these medals around, does it come as no surprise that I got to say hello to Josephus. German dealers were a disappointment for German coins, but Worldwide Coins had some nice material for my purposes. Ended up with two smaller silvers, an interesting Julius taler (not in the best shape, but something that really fit in with the horse theme) and a small but particularly beautiful Dutch medal.
    Mike Dunigan had an 8 reales that I had been looking for; again, not the best quality, but the hole filler that I had wanted. And that about wrapped it up for today. Tomorrow, I have to pick up something from Jencius.

DPOTD
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great reviews! What was the 8 Reales you picked up from Mike?

Carlos IV transitional; 1790

DPOTD
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    Friday was time for more serious targeting, rather than surveying.
    Don Young, by this time, had put out all his stock, as he had told me he was going to do. There was a curious horse medal that I purchased.
    Then I hit Renaissance Coins and Peter Jencius, two reliable source for me. Picked up a coin featuring St. Martin from Renaissance and three papal medals from Peter. Goetz was right down the aisle and he is another dealer on whom I rely. This time, another depiction of St. Martin. Oh, and with all these medals around, does it come as no surprise that I got to say hello to Josephus. German dealers were a disappointment for German coins, but Worldwide Coins had some nice material for my purposes. Ended up with two smaller silvers, an interesting Julius taler (not in the best shape, but something that really fit in with the horse theme) and a small but particularly beautiful Dutch medal.
    Mike Dunigan had an 8 reales that I had been looking for; again, not the best quality, but the hole filler that I had wanted. And that about wrapped it up for today. Tomorrow, I have to pick up something from Jencius.

WE WANT PICS!

Pics will have to wait. I have to set up for it and then go through the processing.

DPOTD

Back from the Saturday session. Just as productive (except from my wallet's point of view) as the prior sessions. My main reason to return was to pick up an Urban VIII medal from Jencius. Thereafter, I planned to briefly graze (er, gaze) at the wonderments around me. Discovered an 8R being offered, that I had searched for a while. The price was a bit steep, though. I continued on my way and ran into EVillageProwler. I never had spoken to him at length, before, but this time I solicited his advice about various. The gentleman is a font of knowledge and I learned things that I will put to good use in the future. Thank you, sir! I am greatly appreciative.
    I picked up a few more 17th century German states from Karl Stephens (wasn't too crowded for once, so I had a chance to leisurely make my way through his inventory.
    Thereafter, I met SuperPsychMD who helped me search for a dealer that I knew was there, but I could not find his table. Ultimately, we found him.
    Finally, I decided to throw caution to the winds (as well as my wallet) and splurged on a Fernando VII Imaginary Bust. That is on that I will image in the near future.
    After saying farewell to EVillageProwler, I headed on home and a well deserved stop at Ben's.

DPOTD

Aww shucks. Best of luck getting that project done smoothly.

• superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Harasha, did you say Ben’s? I think a day at the coin show deserves the Lido deli 8n Long Beach,Long Island. I know, I know, it’s too far after an exhausting but fun day of coins...

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a picture of the Imagined Bust?